Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amend title of Religion & Spirituality category

Options
  • 30-10-2008 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

What about amending the name of the "Religion & Spirituality" category to "... Religion, Spirituality and lack thereof" to be more inclusive of the "Atheism & Agnosticism" forum which is neither spiritual nor religious (at least the Atheism part isn't anyways).

I don't see the length of the text being an issue when there are already categories with text just as long in the drop down menu.

What do ye think?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Unnecessary. The A & A forum is primarily concerned with discussing religious or spiritual matters. The "lack therof" is rarely discussed. I don't think I've ever seen a thread started which said, "How's that no God thing working out for ya?".

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

seamus wrote: »
    "How's that no God thing working out for ya?".

/Runs off to start one.

Listen axer, don't worry about it, you should be more worried about your soul burning eternally in hell.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Listen axer, don't worry about it, you should be more worried about your soul burning eternally in hell.

Hmmm, if it's your soul that burns how do you feel pain ?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Ponster wrote: »
    Hmmm, if it's your soul that burns how do you feel pain ?

Have faith Ponster, it happens, that's all you need to know.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

axer, your sig and this thread do not compute. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Wow, it was just a quick suggestion...nothing complicated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Welcome to the internets, where the simplest of things becomes a matter of life and death :)

On topic, imo "the lack thereof" is a form of spirituality in it's own right, so the title applies fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What about amending the name of the "Religion & Spirituality" category to "... Religion, Spirituality and lack thereof"

While we are at it why dont we change the other forums to..

"the sex & sexuality forum and lack thereof"

"The longterm illness forum, or lack of"

"The Photography forum" - now changed to, "photography and etchRsketch and fingerpaintings(if you dont have a camera) forum"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Don't forget Humour and lack thereof ;):pac:;):pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Amen to this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

axer wrote: »
    What do ye think?
    I think if you'd been in the A&A forum recently you'd have seen this related thread, which was met with a mixture of disagreement, mirth and apathy!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Damn straight. I'm passionately apathetic. So much so I didnt bother to post in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

While we are on the subject where do topics related to Judaism go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Humour forum I think.

Them Irish Catholics keepin' the Jews down. Somehow, I'm unsurprised.

Overheal wrote: »
    Them Irish Catholics keepin' the Jews down. Somehow, I'm unsurprised.

What?

Well its not like I've ever seen a sinnagogue. I just got the underhanded impression Judaism wasn't well liked in Ireland. Or, at the very least, had a very, very minute population (>5,000) meant no offense.

edit: I knew I got that impression from somewhere

Numbers are on the rise but still below or hovering at 2,000. Judaism might deserve its own home in R&S.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Thought that was discussed on the forum thread you were on. You remember it from 2 years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There has been requests before for a forum but there were was not enough posters to forum it.

Threads on that religion are welcome in spirituality.
    As are threads on Hindu, Happy Diwali to those celebrating this weekend.

Overheal just cos you didn't see one doesn't mean they aren't there.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~jewishireland/shul.htm
    There are six synagogues in Ireland. Four of these are situated in Dublin including one Progressive/Liberal Congregation. There is a synagogue in both Belfast and Cork. All synagogues have regular Services except Cork, which cannot support its very small community. Apart from the progressive/liberal synagogue in Dublin, all others are Orthodox.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mazel Toph!

• Advertisement

Hobbes wrote: »
    Thought that was discussed on the forum thread you were on. You remember it from 2 years ago?

Yeah I remember there was a thread wondering why there was no forum but I cant remember where you were supposed to slot in discussions about judaism since boards ie weren't going to give them a forum.

So I guess it's religion and spirituality.

From OVERHEAL's Link: I got a chuckle out of this, thanks for that overheal.

"“ It has always been the policy of the Minister for Justice to restrict the admission of Jewish aliens, for the reason that any substantial increase in our Jewish population might give rise to an anti-Semitic problem.[14]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭The guy

snyper wrote: »
    While we are at it why dont we change the other forums to..

"the sex & sexuality forum and lack thereof"

"The longterm illness forum, or lack of"

"The Photography forum" - now changed to, "photography and etchRsketch and fingerpaintings(if you dont have a camera) forum"

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

Jeez, and they say religious people get annoyed over anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You dont see a sports hater forum under the sport cat so why put the athiests under religion/spirituality?

Give them their own category, Preferably one that doesnt exist :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sure atheism is basically a cult anyway, so it's grand where it is!

Advertisement