Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Service Charges?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Big Wave wrote: »
    You mean when they just scan my items & I pay? Eh, no. And you knew that. It's completely different - it's not a personable experience.

lol - I can't believe all the jewbags are actually getting on my case because I tip for good service! :rolleyes:

Read the thread again bud, you were getting on someone elses case for not giving tips.

do you give the girl you are out with a nudge.

'Eh, see the size of my tips, they're MAssssive'.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Big Wave

ch750536 wrote: »
    Read the thread again bud, you were getting on do you give the girl you are out with a nudge.

'Eh, see the size of my tips, they're MAssssive'.
    ;)

No, I don't do that - I just leave a tip discreetly. It's not about ego, it's about tipping for good service; a concept most of you seem to find alien for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

No, I don't do that - I just leave a tip discreetly. It's not about ego, it's about tipping for good service; a concept most of you seem to find alien for some reason.

I think most people understand the concept of tipping good service, and actually do that..

I was interested in how someone like yourself who liberally throws insults around to others who have different tipping patterns, reconciles the fact that you only tip for service based on food, and not other personable service given in other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

So lets rephrase that, you go in to your local offie and the lovely assistant helps and advises you on a wine. do you tip??

noone is having a go at you because you tip, you can tip as much as you like afaic. you had a dig at someone because they dont tip, what makes your actions correct and his wrong?

i cant see whats more personal than someone taking a food order and the sales assistant giving you a good service in your local shop or chats to you while making a sandwich.

Welease wrote: »
    the fact that you only tip for service based on food, and not other personable service given in other areas.

I already said that I tip taxi drivers if they're pleasant, so get your facts straight before you try to pigeon hole me.
    Shelflife wrote: »
    So lets rephrase that, you go in to your local offie and the lovely assistant helps and advises you on a wine. do you tip??

Yes, I would if I received very specific advise, and it would depend on the price of the wine too. A €40 bottle, I'd tip around €3. But again it all depends on the situation.
    i cant see whats more personal than someone taking a food order and the sales assistant giving you a good service in your local shop or chats to you while making a sandwich.
    Well this point is completely irrelevant now, because you just went ahead and assumed I wouldn't tip in those situations. Nice job....

• Advertisement

I already said that I tip taxi drivers if they're pleasant, so get your facts straight before you try to pigeon hole me.

Oh don't worry, you were already pigeon holed.. comments like "jewbag" tend to get you that...

Welease wrote: »
    Oh don't worry, you were already pigeon holed.. comments like "jewbag" tend to get you that...
    Ah yes, just ignore my post and pick out one tiny part of it - the part that isn't even on topic. What about the bit where you got your facts wrong because you didn't bother reading my post properly? Basing your opinions on half-read facts, eh?

Ah yes, just ignore my post and pick out one tiny part of it - the part that isn't even on topic. What about the bit where you got your facts wrong because you didn't bother reading my post properly? Basing your opinions on half-read facts, eh?

My posts were seeking clarification on where you would tip. mechanics/shops etc... So I hardly "ignored" your post. The general point which you fail to grasp is I don't believe you tip for every single piece of good service you recieve (banks, libraries, mechanics, shops, lawyers etc etc etc), and therefore why you only tip for certain services and feel justified in being offensive to others who have a different tipping model.

Your posts seem to revolve around unleashing your insults and anger on a message board.. Sore point about not tipping?
    Most people seem to be able to discuss the differences without throwing insults and anti-semetic remarks around, you don't so therefore yes you will get pidgeon holed.. If you have a problem with that, then I suggest you change your offensive posturing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Tippex wrote: »
    the other one that gets me is when you pay by credit card and they include an area on the credit card docket for you to include a tip.

I never ever include a tip as I am 99% certain that the server will not see this money. I will usually give the server cash if I think the service was good.

Let me cast aside your doubt and tell you it's 100% certain the server won't get it.
    That money goes into overheads and to run the place, that includes wages too.

I don't get this service charge for 6 (insert group amount) of people.:confused:
    You set up one table, two at most.
    Everyone orders at the same time, pays at the same time and it should be easier, no?

It definitely should be easier to serve one table of 10 people instead of five tables of 2 people.
    Service charge for giving a restaurant lots of extra business? Should be a discount tbh

Oh and I don't think anyone has mentioned tipping the postman. In rural areas you'll have the same guy all year so you do build up some sort of relationship. Plus there are no house numbers and you need to know the names of everyone including children.
    It's the done thing to give 20 euro every Christmas, I'd say it adds up to nice tax free bonus.
    Wouldn't work in towns where people rotate and do different areas

mikemac wrote: »
    I don't get this service charge for 6 (insert group amount) of people.:confused:
    You set up one table, two at most.
    Everyone orders at the same time, pays at the same time and it should be easier, no?

It definitely should be easier to serve one table of 10 people instead of five tables of 2 people.
    Service charge for giving a restaurant lots of extra business? Should be a discount tbh

Well I imagine it's because they have to co-ordinate the 10 meals etc. at the same time... but yes, i agree (even though I pay it) it's a joke of a charge. Be interesting to see if policies change when people are being more attentive to what they spend in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

As my boss once remarked, restaurants are the only place where they INCREASE the prices when you buy in bulk, instead of lowering them....

Advertisement