Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

confused but had enough

Options
  • 30-10-2008 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hi

I am completely fed up with my current job and want to run away but don't want to burn the bridges (no intention of coming back, oh no way but might be stuck in this smallish city and don't want ennemies).

bit of background: I did 1 project for this place, which was already very problematic but somehow managed to pull it off. Many sleepless nights, loads of effort to make those involved talk to each other again, etc., etc. Everyone was happy at the end, which was a bit of a miracle. Now, because I am stuck in this city, I applied for and accepted another project job at the same company, for 6 months, got it, accepted it. I know I should have known better, but I thought nothing can be worse than my previous project. Turns out, it can. My boss puts an awful lot of pressure on me to deliver the project on time, but at the same time doesn't make decisions that are necessary, doesn't allow me to make them, wants to be cc'd on emails and wants to be present at all meetings. and doesn't have much clue as to what the whole thing is about, but wants to get all the glory.

well I don't care much for glory but if I am not allowed to do my job, and am censored all the time, well, I just cannot do it! I am having sleeping problems and cannot eat properly. I have only been in this position for 2 weeks and 3 days, but already on the 1st day I knew that this person is bad news. and what I heard since, from completely sound people, and my experience in these 2 weeks only strengthened that that's just insane.

I only need to give the minimum notice during the probation period. I really feel like stuffing it all and leave! but I am a bit worried about getting references: they were very happy with my work on the previous project, but surely they will not appreciate if I am leaving in this hurry. I don't know.
    any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

I think the importance of references is often over-emphasised.
    I think based on your description of your working env , I'd try and line something else up , but decide that you will be out of there, one way or another, after x no of weeks.
    Maybe try and save up some money over that time frame too.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

thanks for your answer. this is more or less what I have decided to do. actually, I hoped at one stage today that it can be worked out but no. had my worst ever meeting with my boss after my 1st post on boards. I never had to be that pushy, ever, in my life, not with bosses, colleagues, friends, family, and never had that tense a conversation, ever in my life (except my spouse, but that's another story :-). and this is just to get a particular job done which is in the interest of the company. the funny thing is that this person actually accepts what i say, but it takes so much work to hammer it into them and so much out of me that i think I have to give it up before I lose my sanity. I have talked to my previous boss whether they would be ok to give me a ref. in case I need one, and they said absolutely. spent crying the last part of the day at my desk, didn't have the power to leave work. money is an issue but my spouse can support me while I find something else.
    thanks again and happy halloween :-)

Advertisement