Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which DSLR ???

Options
  • 30-10-2008 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I want to upgrade from my bridge camera to a mid-range DSLR but the more I read the more I'm confused between all the models.
    Can anyone make some recommendations. The camera must have image stabilisation built in, live view and depth of field preview at a minimum.
    Also has anyone brought from any US websites?

Thanks in advance

S
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

lol. You won't find a lot of DSLRs with those functions as minimum. Especially the more personal use models.

IS built in? You're looking at Olympus - Thats as much as I can tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Pentax K20D has everything you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

ThOnda wrote: »
    Pentax K20D has everything you want.

+1

The K200D also has all of the features you mentioned, but for a lower price.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

lol. You won't find a lot of DSLRs with those functions as minimum. Especially the more personal use models.

IS built in? You're looking at Olympus - Thats as much as I can tell you.

Olympus E-520 will have all that you're looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Doesn't the Sony Alpha range have IS built in too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I have the Olympus E510 (2007 version of the E520) and its a great camera to start off with. Its kit lenses (Zuiko 14-42mm & 40-150mm) are better than average. It has all the attributes you mention & more !!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

That does seem a strange list of essentials to me.

Built in IS/VR eliminates the two main players from your selection.

The Live View function is seen mainly as being a bit of a gimick. My camera has it & I have never used it once.

What limits have you found with your current camera that you need to overcome?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angelo Mercone

Hi, when I choose my cameras, I always check http://www.dpreview.com. I have no problem buying from the states, in fact, I got everything from http://www.adorama.com
    My advise on a mid range dslr would be the nikon d90.

Angelo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭corban

Hi, when I choose my cameras, I always check http://www.dpreview.com. I have no problem buying from the states, in fact, I got everything from http://www.adorama.com
    My advise on a mid range dslr would be the nikon d90.

Angelo

how did you find shipping costs with above?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Angelo Mercone

Hi Corban,

in march I got:
    nikon d300
    sb 800 flash
    3 no 4gb san disk
    extra battery for d300

I paid 1698 euro to adorama including delivery and then I had to pay 363 euro to UPS at delivery. I think that is an import tax or something similar

Angelo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Thermaleer

The Sony Alpha range all have IS built in. The A350 is the model with Live view - the a100,a200,a300 and a700 are traditional DSLR's without Live view.

I've just read about Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1. Doesn't look bad, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

I bought the Eos 450D. Thought I couldn't live without Live View as I used it all the time on the Fuji S5000. However, I have only used it once or twice to double-check things on one or two shots. I use the viewfinder all of the time now.:)

Welcome to the world of "capture what you see" photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

ThOnda wrote: »
    I've just read about Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1. Doesn't look bad, in my opinion.

I don't think the G1 has built in image stabalization, it's only in the lenses.

Looks like a nice little camera, but I'd wait for the next model that will be able to shoot video, and by then there will be more than 2 lenses available!

Advertisement