Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

halloween?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Sooooo..
    Whats the story with Halloween around Limerick for the kiddies? We are new to the area, from the states and have 3 lil ones.
    Ive heard rumours of trick or treating and such, are there any other things to do with kids?
    I am not getting off work tomorrow til well after dark but we were thinking of taking the kids out around 7ish? Is this normal for around here? Safe?
    I actually am not used to it getting dark so early on Halloween.
    thanks for any input!
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Compared to stateside its pretty poor, its more about the mischief and mayhem(lets just say i'm locking up my cat tomorrow night, not letting her outside). Houses expect trick or treaters buts that about it. One bit of advice try to do trick or treating as early as possible. Just saw you're working, 7 should be safe enough, depends on the area, the eggs don't start flying till 8 or after.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭supermommy

We are over near Ivans in Caherdavin. I reckon we should be mostly ok..
    Its a bit ridiculous in the states to be fair, the kids end up with way too many sweets, seems like thats all it is about. I like to get em all dressed up tho and they do enjoy it..

Ivans area should be fine. Pop into ivans too he's a fairly decent fella, i imagine he'll something for the kids and the jetland centre might have something going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Oh yeah. The Jetland shopping centre has something going on. Face painting and some other forms of entertainment for the kids. There were posters up inside Jetland about it.

Check it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

will it be tomorrow like last year? IIRC some shops have removed eggs from display and you could get them only over the counter...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

will it be tomorrow like last year? IIRC some shops have removed eggs from display and you could get them only over the counter...

To be fair, they did that when I was a preteen and that's 15 years ago. I dunno, throwing eggs is an old Irish tradition, probably predating Christianity, do we really want to be the generation to stop that? Don't think flour bombs have quite the same history, but important nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

The egg thing is more related to the spring time. It's a symbol for fertility. That's why we are collecting them on the Sunday after the first spring full moon aka Easter Sunday. But relating them to a day remembering the death and linking them alongside with flour bombs to a pagean ritual - respect! :p

OooOOoOoooh its so spooky in here!

Im excited to see halloween in limerick now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

supermommy wrote: »
    OooOOoOoooh its so spooky in here!

Im excited to see halloween in limerick now :D
    Report back here on your expierience! Just make sure all animals are inside (and possibly tape your letterbox shut!)

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Ye make it sound like hell on earth?
    Get your stab proof vest while your at it might be some teens having a laugh stabbing people!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Ye make it sound like hell on earth?
    Get your stab proof vest while your at it might be some teens having a laugh stabbing people!

I agree (I think?). Throwing eggs for the most part is harmless play-acting by teens. Sure it's a little annoying but it's not the same level as a lot of the stuff that goes on. Anyhow, who among us didn't do stupid things like that in our youth?

Well we didnt get stabbed :)
    It was fantastic really. We have lovely neighbors..

3 bags of minibars 2 bags of lollies and 4 called, 2 of them too old, i give up, anytime i'm prepared noone shows up. Free sweets anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I agree (I think?). Throwing eggs for the most part is harmless play-acting by teens. Sure it's a little annoying but it's not the same level as a lot of the stuff that goes on. Anyhow, who among us didn't do stupid things like that in our youth?
    throwing eggs yes, but when they run out of eggs it becomes stones and rocks, spare a thought for a garda friend of mine who got beaten with an iron bar last night after having rockets fired directly at him, or his female collegue who got her face smashed open and is still in hospital thanks to these "play-acting teens".

on the other side, Won the old quarter fancy dress last night! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭RINO87

was it just me or was it suprisingly quiet???

feck all fireworks, my humble place of work (which usually closed early on halloween due to trouble) stayed open all night, saw feck all scum in town too.

Advertisement