Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of switching from BT to UPC, am I crazy?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭

I'm with BT atm and I want to change over. Their customer service is useless, I've been overbilled, and I am currently throttled because their unlimited broadband isn't actually unlimited.

I've been looking at UPCs Ultra for €46/month which is available in my area. Are they as bad as BT? Has anyone been throttled with them?

I'm trying to get my head around the fact that their broadband comes through the TV cable. We don't use cable for tv anymore. So am I right in saying that if I take out my dusty cable from the back of the TV that's never used in my bedroom and plug it into their modem I'll get broadband?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

NO you will have to get a cable modem that has been provisioned by UPC to be able to connect to the net. Do not wait, KICK the BT rubbish to touch and sign on the dotted line for UPC if you can get them.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Thanks but I'd prefer to hear from people who actually have UPC, or who have moved from bt to upc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I had BT before and suffered endlessly with their crap billing which is always wrong (in their favour might I add)... Switched to UPC over 18 months ago and never looked back... Service is excellent, had a few problems(like everyone) with speed a few weeks ago but its been sorted now.
    Customer Service has always been fine when I call but I only call when I know they will be quiet i.e. Before 9 in the morning and after 7 or 8 at night.

I think if UPC is available then get it, you might aswell get their phone service too and then you can ditch your phone line rental of €25\month aswell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I moved from BT to UPC a couple of years ago. Never looked back. Very happy with UPC although in fairness I had no problems with BT. UPCs offering was just far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

How hard did you fellas find switching from BT?, they continually overbill me too..am beyond exasperation with their "customer care" line.
    I can EASILY see them continuing to bill me after I switch which is a worry.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Elessar wrote: »
    Thanks but I'd prefer to hear from people who actually have UPC, or who have moved from bt to upc.

Thats OK, just won't help you again in the future, goodbye.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭00sully

UPC are like a sin wav ever since i've been with NTL circa 03. constantly exceeding my speed expectations and then "boom" back down to earth with the slowness...

I think at this stage i've accepted this - the switch to 20meg was class when only a few people had it - it eventually slowed to a crawl for a month or 2 and now seems to have stabilised. usual peak time bottleknecks it seems for me (in D15) but overall its probably worth the expected pain!

have never been with BT but a friend is and has no complaints!? i'd recommend if you are happy with the service then stay - i'd never worry about overbilling as it can be easily sorted (and if not a nice legal letter will do WONDERS! ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

00sully wrote: »
    have never been with BT but a friend is and has no complaints!? i'd recommend if you are happy with the service then stay - i'd never worry about overbilling as it can be easily sorted (and if not a nice legal letter will do WONDERS! ;))

You REALLY have no idea what dealing with EsatBT is like..i'd rather get teeth pulled without an anaesthetic than call their customer care again, no I am not joking!, it really is that bad.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can someone answer this -

If I get UPC do I need to be a cable tv subscriber (with any network)? We had cable but now are with Sky for tv so our cable line is not being used. Will this effect whether I can get UPC broadband?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Elessar wrote: »
    Can someone answer this -

If I get UPC do I need to be a cable tv subscriber (with any network)? We had cable but now are with Sky for tv so our cable line is not being used. Will this effect whether I can get UPC broadband?

You can get broadband from them with out having their tv service. I think it costs an extra €10.
    i'd never worry about overbilling as it can be easily sorted (and if not a nice legal letter will do WONDERS! ;))

It shouldn't be happening though. If it does happen then once or twice isn't too bad but constantly getting over billed to the point where someone is concerned that they'll continue to be billed after leaving them is a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

i'd never worry about overbilling as it can be easily sorted (and if not a nice legal letter will do WONDERS! ;))

Since you've never been a BT customer, I'll let you away with that one. If you were though, you'd never, EVER, recommend anyone stay with BT, nor would you say that over billing can be easily sorted. Dealing with BT is like talking to God; you think it's you getting somewhere, but in reality, there's nobody listening.

It took me 8 months, letters to data protection commissioners in two countries, contact with three separate companies, and finally contact with the CEO of BT Ireland to get them to sort a SINGLE billing error. They are beyond useless, and anyone thinking of changing from BT to any other ISP, is not crazy. Staying with BT makes you crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

my BT billing issue sa couple of years back were almost identical to jor el's, they were a nightmare. after months of repeatedly having a cancelled DD re-instated without my permission by BT (i.e. stealing from me) and the banks telling me they coud do nothing to stop them, I eventually got the CEO's email address and had it sorted within a week.
    then it took them 3 months to get my phone back on when I moved house and even longer for DSL despite the people who moved out having it before they moved.

I'm now in the middle of another complaint over their business sales dept. over a move to business DSL where they cancelled my res. DSL but never completed the move to business dsl. lucily for me I spotted it before it was actually cut off and UPCare coming round in a couple of days to install the 20mbps cable service, so I'll let you know how I get on with that.

drop BT like they're hot and go with ntl/upc. their customer service isn't a huge amount better than BT's but it's one of the many things upc are trying to fix whereas BT just don't care.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i have been trying to get NTL to set up my broadband for the last 2 weeks. I was nearly crying with frustration with them today and have given up, am going to get something in a box.

good luck with them:(

got an automated call last night to confirm installation tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know how it goes.

just out of curiosity, will they put it wherever you want it, or do you have to have it somewhere specific like by the front door or behind the telly? not actually getting telly with them and i'm still trying to decide about the phone so it's just going to be broadband for now.

wish me luck. :)

got an automated call last night to confirm installation tomorrow morning, so I'll let you know how it goes.

just out of curiosity, will they put it wherever you want it, or do you have to have it somewhere specific like by the front door or behind the telly? not actually getting telly with them and i'm still trying to decide about the phone so it's just going to be broadband for now.

wish me luck. :)

good luck.

they turned up in my house and told me the signal was too weak and that a another technician would call out. that was 2/3 weeks ago.

that makes me feel loads better about it, thanks. :(

fingers crossed that's not going to be an issue though, they've only just put the cabling in a couple of months ago and there's already one person in laptop wifi range (from inside my house) with an ntl wifi ssid so I reckon I'll be alright (touch wood). :)

vibe666 wrote: »
    fingers crossed that's not going to be an issue though, they've only just put the cabling in a couple of months ago

my cabling was only two weeks old
    vibe666 wrote: »

what is so not fair :mad:- they made me cry on monday, they really dont want my money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

my cabling was only two weeks old

what is so not fair :mad:- they made me cry on monday, they really dont want my money

Just out of interest have they recabled your area or has the cable run in to your house just been replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement