Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small online Store with godaddy

Options
  • 30-10-2008 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I have decided to start selling a small range of kitchen appliances.

I have a already sold them on ebay and amazon etc and now i wish to start selling on my own independant site.

I have chosen an available .com name and am considering going with go daddy for the hosting and setting up the store through them because they are cheap

I plan on starting with a product line of about 12 products with a simple shopping cart and checkout system

Does anyone have any tips on this kind of thing as ive never done anything like this before and could use the advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Hi, if you go to wholesalenetwork.co.uk you should find all the info. you need.
    I did what you are proposing and am no way techie but there is an American guy there called Pete who does the whole webhosting thing.
    Check him and the site out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭elgransenor

Actually that website I gave you is the wrong address and I can't remember the correct one.Sorry:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 caminowebmaster

Godaddy are fine for hosting, I use them also. But is your market US Ire or the Uk?

If your target is Ireland I would suggest getting hosting in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

I wasnt sure it made a big differnce where it was hosted

I plan to offer worldwide Shipping so i thought id go with the .com as its familiar for people in the us and uk

I heard the .ie is more difficult to secure as well

Is there any real advantages to buying a .ie?

apart from irish customers feeling more connected to it?

Just wondering is there research behind this?

• Advertisement

I have experience selling these products on ebay stores and amazon etc already so its not that big of a jump

I have a good Supplier and have a great relationship with them which means i have higher profit margins and lower costs than the average retailer

I would just prefer a higher degree of customisability and more control over things

Ebay are quite restrictive in the way they let you promote your products and they are very difficult to contact/deal with in the event of a problem

Just wondering is there research behind this?

Sorry Delat, I was not doubting you, I meant is there research behind the whole Irish consumer feeling more connected with a .ie domain? Just wondering if there are any research documents that say so?

No ,i have no real proof other than personal opinion that irish people might connect more with a .ie site or feel more comfortable ordering from there

I just assumed that id lose more customers from the rest of the world with a .ie as oposed to gaining irish customers by keeping a .ie-I could be wrong though

Theres always the assumption of faster delivery from a local site and then theyres the whole "buy irish thing" you could attempt to cash in on with a .ie site

although people in the usa might order quicker from a .com if they percieve the delivery might take ages from Ireland

If its available maybe get both??and get the best of both worlds?

im not sure if thats possible or legal but maybe someone who knows will enlighten us

Here's my thinking on it, I never go to ebay.ie as I always assume ebay.com will be cheaper as there are more American sellers, and I always ALWAYS get cheaper deals on ebay.com, I tend to think .com websites are cheaper as they have the US dollar whereas .ie always give me the impression of over-priced because it's related to Ireland. I could be in the minority though.

Edit: You are allowed secure both domains if you see fit! No problem at all! I'm going to do it!

Personally ive always done it the other way

If i need to buy a new laptop or whatever i usually check the irish or uk site and avoid the ebay.com

the only reasons i do this is because

A- if i order from usa it will take ages to arrive
    B- i will get raped on shipping prices which will kill any saving i might have made
    C- USA Sellers are reluctant to ship Internationally and some of them just Wont
    D- My goods are liable to be hit with a 21% or whatever customs charge

But i can see your point ,some people may percieve better value from a "big american .com Site" as opposed to paddymurphysite.ie

I suppose the best idea then would be to get them both if they are available and can be picked up for a reasonable price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

use HostGator (google it) for your hosting, I use them and there customer care is excellent, they have live chat 24/7 so whenever you have a problem, they are there to help, they have hosting starting at $4.95 per month

Advertisement