Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TEFL Mistake? Other Alternatives?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭

I applied for the 'i to i' TEFL last night from www.teflireland.com. I chose the 120 hour Course for just under €800. However I started and checked out the online course that night just to see what it was like…curiosity. The next morning, I discovered that the leading body was ACELS…and that this group weren’t associated with that recognition. They have a few others though, but obviously not that important.

So I went to get a refund and they said that I was only entitled to the weekend back as I opened up the online thing. So I’d only get back 500. This is **** because if it’s not ACELS recognized, it can’t be very good for employment prospects. I was thinking of just continuing the course, because there’s no point wasting the 500 I’d get back. But like, I’m 19 and in the middle of a degree, taking a year out. If I do this, are there much chances I’d get opportunities for a job?

Like I understand that people with English degrees are in a much better position, but I don’t see why, as an English degree doesn’t teach you how to teach and you have the same level of fluency (if you’re Irish)…so if I got taught I’d still be as good as a person with an English degree only they would be more mature.

So what are the chances and opportunities open to me regarding TEFL from this course that I’ve been sucked into seen as it’s not ACELS recognised? There’s probably 0% chance I think.

If not, is there any other relatively short course (doesn’t have to be TEFL) that I could do that could land me a job as flexible as TEFL can? Have to do something to land a flexible job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

I did a course with i-i a few years ago & like you I was annoyed to find out it wasn't recognised. The only thing I will say for them is their training is very good and they will keep in touch regularly about work opportunities abroad so I would advise you to do the course as TEFL courses look very good on CV's.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭saram

I am looking into doing some study and gaining qualifications in Teaching English as a second language!! I have actually 4 years teaching practice already abroad..but would like to add some more meat to my C.V!

I was intending on doing the 120 hour Course with 'i to i' for just under €800 that you mentioned Lucas... but now after reading this thread I am unsure what would be the best course for me!!

The main problem I see is that ACELS (governing body of Teaching English in Ireland) doesn't recognise this course.
    What exactly are the courses that they recognise?? CELT is one I think. Is this course recognised in foreign countries...including Non English Speaking ones?

I don't really intend teaching in Ireland anyway..so am I better off going with the i to i course? I have also the CELTA course in mind...but that focuses mainly on adult learners.. and would be extra hassle and more inconvenient to complete. The 120 hour Course would suit me better but will it be worth the investment??

So what do people think is the best course out there for someone in my situation.. I am open to doing whichever course would be the best one overall for me!!

Cheers for reading and the help in advance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tannytantans

I did the i-to-i course last year.Had absolutely no problems finding a job - i'm currently in south korea teaching. Many countries don't even require u to have a tefl course to teach there - you just need your degree.

If you want to teach abroad the i-to-i course should be absolutely grand - i don't know anyone who couldn't get a job out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 vmcnult

What if you don't have a degree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I did the i-to-i course last year.Had absolutely no problems finding a job - i'm currently in south korea teaching. Many countries don't even require u to have a tefl course to teach there - you just need your degree.

If you want to teach abroad the i-to-i course should be absolutely grand - i don't know anyone who couldn't get a job out of it.

Do you mind me asking how you found a job in Korea?

Do you like it over there? Advantages/disadvantages?!

Any advice appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

If you have a degree you should be able to teach engrish in any asian place.

I mean what do you need to do a course for, after a degree you can surely speak english quite well....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 vmcnult

I don't have a degree in anything but am hoping to go on a round the world trip in March or April :D

Teaching English is an option I would like to have & am now wondering which course would suit me best? Could any of you give me advice on this please? :confused:

(I'm in Dublin so a course here would be ideal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brianarundel

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how you found a job in Korea?

Do you like it over there? Advantages/disadvantages?!

Any advice appreciated!

You'll find loads of recruiters advertising - go to forums like eslcafe.com or eslboard. You can find jobs advertised by specific schoold in the korean Job board in the former one. Be careful though to get details on the school, etc. Public/private, contact some teachers working there.

As long as you have a B.A. degree (Or a B.S. degree) you'll get a job there.

I mean me and my girlfriend were just offered a joint position - and we were fussy, wanted our own apartment paid for by the school, Centrally located in Seoul, prepaid flights only (some schools want you to pay for your flight over and then promise to reimburse you later). We found a position within 2 weeks, after talking to a recruiter, talking to teachers at the school, phone interview, making sure it's an established school, checking that the school isn't on any blacklists.

THe only real disadvantage (that is if you do your research in advance - the esl forums are key in this) the seriously low Won currency rate right now. It's extremely low now so transferring money back will be disastrous. However, it's been low before, and will bounce back up again so you can always sit on what you save (and if you are clever you will save).

Of course, a lot of this is third party, based on friends experiences, etc. But the key is research in advance, dont let a recruiter push you into a job (they will try!), and Make sure to get contact details for some of the teachers in the school you are considering.

I found my job through friends who were teaching over here - they were leaving so my boyfriend and i just took their place. It was really easy.

There are loads of websites recruiting for jobs here.As the previous poster said the only downside is the exchage rate at the minute but hopefully that will improve. The teaching itself is fine - but i've heard mixed reports from a lot of people about schools they've ended up in so do your research!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Thanks for the replies guys!

What I'd like to do is teach there for 12 months while doing as bit of travelling around the country and having a decent social life.

How difficult is it meeting people over there if you (initially, at least) don't speak Korean? How are westerners (i.e. white people) considered in Korea?

Thanks

• Advertisement

I've found it pretty easy meeting people here - and i live a good bit out of seoul. I've found that anyone who can speak english well always tries to chat to me.
    Plus there are westerners pretty much everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brianarundel

If you learn to say An-nyeong-ha-say-yo (Hello) Koreans will be impressed with you :)

I'm just starting to learn a bit of Korean at the moment to make life easier over there (although I'll be in Central Seoul so not a major issue) and show off ;)

Just signed, scanned and emailed our contracts this morning. Just the visa to deal with now. Prepaid flights (dont accept the idea that you pay for flight and they reimburse you) and a nice 2 bedroom apartment near the Han river :)

And arrgghh,, you couldn't go far wrong with registering in a site like eslcafe.com (Dave's esl cafe) for the forums, start talking to people there who are in Korea and they organise meet ups (sessions) and teach ins for western teachers in Korea> but be warned there's a lot of negativity on that site; they might well talk you out of it!!

Advertisement