Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rss live gigs

Options
  • 30-10-2008 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

hi all

i want to put an rss feed on my webite so that people can listen to the latest live gig i have recorded, and build up to maybe 10 mp3s in there that are rotated as each new gig is recorded

ideally the mp3 will be streaming audio

i havent a clue how to go about this - anyone have any ideas

thanks

tom
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

i did a stream for my site here - www.spiralking.com under the listen tab... it's fairly simple to add, but the problem comes from the quality of server the data is stored on... bandwidth = money... so if you want quality and the ability to support high bandwidth streamms for many listeners it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

thanks neurojazz

maybe it would make more sense to just have the music stream off the site as you have done, and forget the rss side of things for now

how do i go about doing that?

cheers

tom

very nice sounds by the way

First off, find how much bandwidth your host allows, lets say they say 10gig a month, you'd need to estimate if you'll be able to stream the mp3 out wihtout you running out of bandwidth - also is the host any good? - took me a while to find one that could throw out video/music without any glitches/slowing - the last thing you want is the gig mp3 stopping and starting while it buffers.

If the Gig mp3 is lets say 100meg, that 10gig bandwidth is used up after 100 listeners listen to it.

The encoding needs to be at 44k, with a minimum of 128kbps to be quality that's nice to listen too - any lower and it's pretty rank...

If you want to stream high quality with high numbers of people then i'd send you more explicit details about how to do this...

The next thing is security, a flash player offers some security - http://www.myflashfetish.com/ offers a player that is pretty good, and i've tried to rip the playlist.xml and it's pretty secure.

If you need hosting/website etc... i'm about half the price of anything you'll get quoted in Ireland :)

Monthly Bandwidth Transfer
    1.27/100000 MB - i'm guessing thats 1.27mb used as i have not publicised the site yet

is this a misprint - that looks like 100gigs to me

i listen a lot to liveireland.com, they stream a 44khz 32kbs aac feed that sounds good on my winamp via the studio monitors - is aac the way to go maybe?

cheers - tom

yeah - that's 100gigs - just do some tests for download speed. You might find it hard to find secure players for the acc - and if your happy with 32bps then your'e laughing :) - once you get traffic i recommend getting a live site monitor that shows you people logging in and out and then test the stream occasionally to make sure your'e not getting drops out. Hopefully the server is somewhere on the backbone of the network if your'e expecting large amount of hits.

I think there's a few mp3 codecs that are fine - if you def want acc then hunt around for paid for secure flash should you want higher quality stream.

• Advertisement

this is good info neurojazz - i have to go and do a gig now but i cant wait to get my teeth into this

cheers

tom

ok - thanks to neurojazz the site is starting to do what i want it to www.rapscallion.ie

i'm not sure this is the best way to deliver the gig mp3s though, i'm thinking podcast or something like that - any ideas out there how i might go about it?

cheers

tom

I think that looks fine, keep it nice and simple... maybe spend some time looking for a pre-made website design to make it look professionally made and then add content slowly to it... keep it simple and easy to use!

Something like http://www.freecsstemplates.org/ would give a site a nice feel and make sure that is shows on most browsers correctly. Saves you a lot of time and hassle, just have to take a little care editing as to not break the tags etc...

Advertisement