Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Racehorse leasing (flat racing)

Options
  • 30-10-2008 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I have yearling filly that I would be interested in breeding in the future, but I dont what to go racing the horse myself. What I'd like to do is lease the racehorse to someone or some group, who would race the horse and return the horse to me when its racing career was over.
    I would lease the horse for free, but whoever leased the horse would cover the training fees etc and would keep any prize money that was won.
    I couldn't find anywhere that listed people interested in leasing racehorses, just wondering if anyone had any advice?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

If you go onto the HRI (Horse Racing Ireland) website at goracing.ie you may be able to find some info there, or at least you'll find their contact details so you can get in touch with them to get advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

We had one leased under those circumstances a few years ago. We were lucky she won a few races and paid her way. You would see adds in the Irish Field with people in the same situation as you trying to get people to take horses on free leases. That might be worth a try, you should keep a share in the lease yourself though. Thats if you can get anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭JuniorB

Get in touch with a trainer. We lease horses with a prominent flat trainer that he sources for us. Generally the owner will have to pay for the horse to be trained for a couple of months or so and then the trainer will make the call as to whether the horse is any good or not.
    Your filly would have to be very well bred ... esp now as country is flooded with good horses to lease.
    Leasor will be paying training fees of 15-30k per year (x 2 years) so no value leasing anything worth less than 50k ....and 50k will buy a fair animal now :)

Best of luck anyway.

Advertisement