Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle stolen

Options
  • 30-10-2008 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭

My beautiful trek bicycle was stolen from Gerald Griffin street this morning. I locked it against a pole while I went to get a haircut (1/2 hour). Must have only locked around top of saddle as locks were still there. My mistake.:mad:
    This is 6th or 7th bike stolen in past 10 years. It cost me €750.

Does anyone know if organised gangs are stealing bikes or just opportunists. I'd love to get it back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

A €750 bike and you didn't lock it properly...in Limerick!

I can only imagine how pissed off you are, but you should be more careful!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,191 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

hard luck man......look on the bright side at last you'll get a rebate for the next one...

Cycle to work scheme

From 1 January 2009, the provision of bicycles and associated safety equipment by employers to employees who agree to use the bicycles to cycle to work will be treated as a tax exempt benefit-in-kind. The exemption may only apply once in any five year period in respect of any employee. There will be a limit on the value of such purchases of €1,000 for each employee. The scheme may also be implemented via salary sacrifice arrangements, whereby an employee agrees to forego part of his/her salary to cover the costs associated with the purchase of the bicycle and associated safety equipment. Where such salary sacrifice arrangements are implemented, they must be completed over a maximum period of twelve months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I had my saddle and wheels nicked this afternoon between 2.30 and 5.30 at Mount Kennet Place. Although my lock had been tampered with, it didn't break. The frame was all that remained. Another bike locked beside my one had the same done to it. There is CCTV where I had it locked, and the security staff of the building it was locked outside said they'll be able to access the footage. Not sure how much good it'll do.

Definitely reporting it to the guards tomorrow - even though a saddle and two wheels are a smallish loss (well I'll find out tomorrow in the bike shop!) it's just such a pain in the ass. I'd love to see the fukkers get caught for it. Better still, I'd love to meet one of them trying to sell a saddled and pair of wheels - I presume that's what they intend to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I also reported this theft to Gardai. They took a statement from me, this is the first time they did that. I don't expect bike back but believe in reporting crimes so that crime figures reflect whats really happening.
    It was pretty dumb not to make sure I had locked frame to pole and not just saddle. However, it's still extremely annoying that you have to double lock everything in this town. Incidentally, my barber has to keep his door locked and opens it when customers come.
    Good advice about tax rebate on bikes, I'm self employed and hopefully I can get my next bike as a tax write off.
    I once saw a guy running afetr some young fellas cycling bikes at speed in town. I presumed they'd stolen one or both bikes so I joined the chase. I followed them all over town, wrong way on one way streets, on pavements and eventually they stopped exhausted and left the bike on pavement. The look of fear on their faces was impressive. They ran off and I got bike back to owner.
    I'd love to catch any bike thief from now on. Or any thief for that matter.

Advertisement