Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jaoquin Phoenix quits acting

• 30-10-2008 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭

Extra" caught up with actor Joaquin Phoenix, and the "Walk the Line" star dropped a shocker -- is he really leaving show biz?!

Yes! Last night at the Paul Newman benefit, the Oscar nominee told "Extra," "I want to take this opportunity... also to give you the exclusive and just talk a little bit about the fact that this will be my last performance as an actor... I'm not doing films anymore."

"Extra's" Jerry Penacoli, shocked by the news, further probed Joaquin. "Are you serious?" Phoenix, who was curiously being followed by his own camera crews, reiterated, "Yeah. I'm working on my music. I'm done. I've been through that."

http://extratv.warnerbros.com/2008/10/joaquin_phoenix_leaving_the_si.php

I am quite shocked as he is one of my favourite actors. Thought he gave solid performance in the likes of 8MM and Ladder 49 in spite of both films being underwhelming. Then of course you have the awesome performances he handed in with Gladiator, Walk the Line, and We Own the Night. I don't even think he has reached his peak so it is bitterly disappointing to hear.

From what he did in Walk the Line he could create himself a niche in the music market but I'm hoping he'll be back in movies eventually.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

Why would he do that have you heard any of his music (besides whats in his films).
    He really is a wonderful actor, obviously his advisors are di cks :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Why would he do that have you heard any of his music (besides whats in his films).
    He really is a wonderful actor, obviously his advisors are di cks :P

No I haven't heard anything other than what he did for Walk the Line. He might have potential as a country artist but I would not be confident that he can establish himself in a major way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I think that a lot of these people are deluded, listening to themselves rather the experts. He might make a few dollars, but there's probably more chance of him disappearing into oblivion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Stockholm Syndrome!!!! :eek: :D

Good actor alright. He was incredible in 'Gladiator'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

But, HE'S SO BEAUTIFUL!!!! That's really crappy!

This is a sad day. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TriciaDelicia

He's a great actor but the fame from Walk The Line has obviously gone to his head and now he thinks he's Johnny Cash :D

But he does have a fab voice.

JaneyMc wrote: »
    But he does have a fab voice.

Yep, the committment in itself that he put into perfecting the voice for Walk the Line should have been enough to win him the Oscar. I think it was the year Hoffman won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Feck. He's way too hot to lose to the music industry.

Sad sad sad.

He'll be back.

Until then we will just have to sit through Signs multiple times to get our fix. Well Signs was crap, maybe something that's actually good!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'll bet anything he'll be back. He's just looking for attention.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    I'll bet anything he'll be back. He's just looking for attention.

To be fair, the guy is notoriously private. I doubt he's saying this just to get focus on his music caeer. That being said, I agree with you that he'll be back. Too big a talent to let it go to waste!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 RockinRed

I liked him in Signs and Walk the Line. He was a good actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

He'd be better off quitting drugs and booze.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Well its a great way to get a succesful band going. Look at Jared Leto for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

He's obviously a very troubled soul. I hope he doesn't end up like Heath Ledger.
    It seems that playing Johnny Cash has had an adverse effect on him...fingers crossed his management steps in and sorts things out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

one of the best actors of his generation :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Claire1980

He is such a great actor, its a shame he is quiting. Not sure how the singing thing will work - Russell Crowe springs to mind - and it is not a happy thought!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This is a real shame. I really rate him as an actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 newbuilder

Just saw this thread now, funny it was only yesterday I saw some clips of him in his new choice of career. Unfortunately its not country singing, its Hip-hop and he looks and sounds absolutely ridiculous. Saw the clilps on a movie review website called the movie watchmen. His hair and beard are out of control and at the end of the song, he fell off the stage. There is a camera crew following him around, as apparently there is a documentary film being made of his breaking into the music business. After seeing it you really wonder is it all just a hoax!! It is that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Its definitely a piss take. Even Casey Affleck was laughing while he was holding the camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

He'll be back eventually I'm sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

pfft...that was an actor having a laugh.
    He's probably in character for something.

I know what we're like :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

Ok im presuming this guy is ripping the pi$$ at this stage

http://au.lifestyle.yahoo.com/who/news/12022009/video-joaquin-phoenixs-awkward-appearance.html

If he really was looking to quit acting and get out of all that kind of thing why go on the Lettermann show, its cringe Tv but Id hope its all just a pi$$ take or this guy is in serious trouble......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Lol, obviously a joke. Not cringy at all, very funny interview - both Phoenix and Letterman - "Joaquin I'm sorry you couldn't be here tonight!!!"
    :D

We can safely say Joaquin hasnt gone nuts just yet. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 661 ✭✭✭CountryWise

I agree, he's acting too quirky for it all to be real....I hope :eek:

he's putting up a good show though!

the fact that a camera crew are following him around says alot.

I seriously don't know if he is taking the piss or whether he's out of it on something. If he is taking the piss, I commend him on putting this "documentary" rumours back into doubt.

thermo66 wrote: »
    Its definitely a piss take. Even Casey Affleck was laughing while he was holding the camera.

Where did you spot Affleck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Threads merged.

Advertisement