Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

existing o2 customers & the Iphone

Options
  • 30-10-2008 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭

Just got off the phone with O2 and was amazed to hear their policy on Iphones for existing users. I asked the customer service rep, who incidentally was very pleasant and helpful, when my contract was due to expire. She told me it had already expired which was what I was hoping. I then told her that I knew I was not due a phone upgrade but would like to take out a new contract, pay full price for the iphone (like a new customer would) and increase my monthly bill by around €20. Bizarrely enough I was denied as I was not due an upgrade!!
    Here is me offering them over €200 and an extra €20 a month, and they blankly refuse to accept it! Anyone see the logic in that one?

Anywho......

What I'm wondering is, has anyone ever simply cancelled their contract and then just gone into an O2 store the next day and joined as a new customer to get an Iphone? I'm contemplating it but a big part of me just wants to cease all business with them. I have also had other bad experiences with them in the past.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

Would you consider getting a speakeasy iphone? If I was going to get an iphone I'd take a speakeasy one as you are not tied into a contract and you wont have to sign up for one of the crap priceplan. And you can take an upgrade in a few months time when 02 decide they'll be nice and give you an upgrade!!! Yes the iphone is dear but its imo the only way to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There's been some hoop-la recently in the press (might have been Pricewatch in the Irish Times) about how O2 have changed their upgrade criteria quite drastically and not in the customer's favour either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Ah-Watch

dudara wrote: »
    There's been some hoop-la recently in the press (might have been Pricewatch in the Irish Times) about how O2 have changed their upgrade criteria quite drastically and not in the customer's favour either.

I have the general criteria in my inbox but not sure about iphone customers ... maybe its the recession:D but upgrades are tight!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

It is actually a well known policy of o2 to treat new customers looking for the Iphone more favorably then an upgrading customer with the huge demand.

I agree with the speakeasy option you will pay through the teeth to get it! well it expensive but you seemed to be willing to pay the price for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You will have to do the following.

1) Sign up an iPhone with a new number

2) Port your number from O2 to another network

3) Port your number from that network onto the new number you got with the iPhone.

If you just cancel your contact and try to sign up again, they won't accept you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

chrislad wrote: »
    You will have to do the following.

1) Sign up an iPhone with a new number

2) Port your number from O2 to another network

3) Port your number from that network onto the new number you got with the iPhone.

If you just cancel your contact and try to sign up again, they won't accept you.

Cant do that either as when you move your old number back from the other network it will just go back on your old account not to the new iphone one, easiest way to get around it is to move your number to prepay or a different network for 60 days then you'll be classed as a new customer when you move it back to bill

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

I'm in the same boat as the OP. Pain in the nuts, at this stage I say feck O2. Obviously don't care for existing customers.
    Contract expired, willing to pay for iPhone but no joy. Changing to speakeasy for 60 days, then back to contract is not on.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ball ox

I just think it's plain odd really. I really don't see the logic behind it from O2's perspective. Ah well..... Vodafone have just gained a new customer. Pre paid iPhone is just not an option, the price is completely extortionate. I know that all the bills would probably add up to the same figure over time but as a lump sum it's far too much. Good luck O2. I see a big winback campaign starting up in a few months time.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

As one of those customers who had their upgrade taken away, I notice it's back now. I've a very low monthly spend, but maybe I just fit in the criteria now. I haven't heard that it's a backtrack or relaxation of the rules, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

krudler wrote: »
    Cant do that either as when you move your old number back from the other network it will just go back on your old account not to the new iphone one, easiest way to get around it is to move your number to prepay or a different network for 60 days then you'll be classed as a new customer when you move it back to bill
    What he said.

It's shocking sometimes how some companys appear to not want business or some customers, but I'm sure they have their reasons (which I'd love to know lol).

• Advertisement
Advertisement