Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBS: Up to 8% of premises can be satellite

Options
  • 30-10-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭

Telecommunications Services.
    Deputy Brian O’Shea asked the Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources
    * if areas have been identified under the national broadband scheme as suitable for satellite Internet access only; the percentage of the contract covered by this; the areas under the national broadband scheme that have been identified as being suitable for satellite Internet access only; and if he will make a statement on the matter.

[37150/08]
    Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources (Deputy Eamon Ryan):
    **My Department has reached the evaluation stage of the National Broadband Scheme (NBS) procurement process. The evaluation of bids is scheduled for completion shortly and the contract is expected to be signed next month. Subject to agreement with the chosen service provider, roll out of services is expected to begin shortly after the contract is signed. The chosen service provider will be required to complete the roll out of services within 22 months of the contract award. All requests for a broadband service in the areas to be addressed by the NBS will be met.
    The areas already covered by terrestrial broadband service providers will not be included in the NBS. The map showing the areas to be addressed by the NBS is available on my Department’s website www.dcenr.gov.ie. No specific areas have been identified as being suitable for satellite internet access. However, it is expected that some areas will be impossible to reach using terrestrial broadband platforms. The winning service provider will be allowed to serve up to 8% of the buildings in the NBS coverage area using satellite.

Pasted from <http://debates.oireachtas.ie/DDebate.aspx?F=DAL20081029.XML&Node=H17-40#H17-40&gt;

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Satellite broadband, quite an oxymoron!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I don't know why we are having an NBS that doesn't intend to deliver broadband to people that can't get it :confused:

So are we just going to give eircom shed loads of cash for the craic so (assuming they aren't actually moronic enough to give it to 3).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Errr....how? Satellite will support VoIP and online gaming then, I must have missed the memo :) ?

Quote from

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Dempsey+Unveils+New+National+Broadband+Scheme.htm

"The final product that consumers will receive from the NBS will be an always on service of at least 1Mbit/s down and 128kbits/s up. The minimum download capacity per connection will be 10 gigabits per month and the service must support Virtual Private Networks (VPN) for businesses and VoIP applications and devices for home business purposes. Latency must be sufficient in order to allow standard applications such as VoIP and online gaming to be run without significant degradation of service from an end user perspective.

“These minimum requirements will guarantee that consumers get a fast, reliable broadband connection and in many areas I hope that the minimum requirements can be significantly exceeded. Importantly the price that people will pay for service under the National Broadband Scheme will be no greater than the average price paid by consumers using similar technologies in areas that currently have access to Broadband,” said Minister Dempsey."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

I don't get. Surely that 8% already have the option of access by Satellite but haven't (for obvious reasons) availed of it? How exactly are they helped by this scheme and so why exactly do we have to pay (Eircom I assume) for it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

10 Gigabits? wtf?

• Advertisement
Advertisement