Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ACL Injury

Options
  • 30-10-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum for this topic, as this is certainly not an issue that is exclusive to men....

I've been to a physio today regarding a knee injury i have had for a period of time and have been informed that i have a damaged ACL (Anterior Cruciate Ligament) in one of my knees! The extent of the injury is yet to be determined via MRI: Whether it is a partial tear which may or may not be effectively treated without surgery; or a full tear, which would definitely require surgery (to do sports again anyway). Obviously, I will be getting an MRI done as soon as I can to have the severity determined.

I've had several knee injuries in the past and have always considered it my achilles heel so to speak. With any prior injury, I've always been able to recover fairly quickly and get back to training and regular exercise. I had actually been planning to get back into amateur wrestling training this winter after a break of about 1-2 years. However, with this injury, that will have to be put on the backburner. Obviously I would like to be able to get back into it eventually and would like to be able to maintain a solid fitness program once again. Clearly, i'm not looking to perform at the level of a professional sportsperson or make it to the olympics or anything like that.

Basically what i'd like to know is: If any of you have had an ACL injury and whether you went the surgical route or not? I would also be curious to hear how you found the results of whatever form of treatment you and your doctor/therapist chose, particularly relating to sports; as obviously this is something I will have to consider at some stage soon.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Given that this is often a sports related injury I'm moving it to Fitness where you may get a better response.

hi btw slicus, long time no see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

g'em wrote: »
    Given that this is often a sports related injury I'm moving it to Fitness where you may get a better response.

hi btw slicus, long time no see :)

Yeah, it's been far too long, will have to change that! I must make sure to make it to a testfest at some stage (even if i won't be able to train:( )

Cheers for moving the thread there as well, I shall trust your judgement as always!

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

if your are in the munster area contact Dr. Maha Lingham. Well known orthopaedic surgeon. He has done 2 ops on my knee and recovery was a lot quicker than many other people who have had same surgery. I had full ACL replacement 10 months ago and was playing football after 5 months and have done a few triathlons (road running not a problem). I am heading nicely in the direction of 1.5 x body weight squats which are actually helping to get the last few degrees of motion back in the knee joint.

Check out http://www.genou.com/anglais/knee.htm
    Maha used it to talk me through the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Woofer

I can recomment ray moran if you are in the dublin area. he is apparently one of the top guys for knees in ireland. He looked after a knee injury for me and and has done ACL for a mate of mine. he's based in sports surgery clinic in santry

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Basically what i'd like to know is: If any of you have had an ACL injury and whether you went the surgical route or not? I would also be curious to hear how you found the results of whatever form of treatment you and your doctor/therapist chose, particularly relating to sports; as obviously this is something I will have to consider at some stage soon.
    I had a complete ACL tear back in 06,the knee was totaly unstable and would swell up from a minor twist almost on a weekly basis!
    Surgery was the only option i had at the time if i wanted to have any sporting ambitions!
    There are a few different types of ACL repairs which a surgeon will go through with you,i went for the hamstring graft ,basicaly the surgeon will harvest a section of hamstring to replace the Removerd ACL.
    My surgery was very successfull and i made a complete recovery back to full bore sports after 6 months with no reoccurance!
    Lots of stuff online on the subject ,i got a lot of info off of www.kneeguru.co.uk,a handy forum on there!
    The main thing is to get yourlegs it good shape before surgery and work hard after surgery on your rehab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

Thanks for all the info guys. I live in the Dublin area and have heard of Ray Moran before: My mum knows someone who had a different type of knee surgury done by him; its great to others recommending him also.

I'm also encouraged by the fact that all of you who have replied here have had such positive results from the surgery!

Just wondering how long you guys had to stay out of work following the surgery? I'm an accountant (well, trainee accountant), so there would be no occupational demands at all on my knee other than getting to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Depending on your requirments at work 2-3 weeks is feasable!
    My job was a lot of manual labour at the time so i missed 2 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

i feel for you mate, but its possible your not in major trouble yet! i was told by physios that they were 98% sure that id done damage to my ACL. MRI done and turned out id only bruised the bone severly. im two months out atm, just started back on bodyweight work.

If your looking for a scan ASAP try northwood imagery in santry. all they do is scans, 7 days a week, all hours of the day. got mine within 3 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Ive worked with many individuals in the past who once given their MRI and scheduled operation began training with me, basically it was a reversal of principles instead of waiting until after your operation to begin working the muscles, the process was started prior to it, the main purpose of this was to maintain adequate and appropriate strength in the vastus medialis muscle. This is one of the fastest muscles to waste and weaken during injury to the knee, strengthening this helped to allow body weight more easily on the leg after operation (simple things like stairs were less trouble) it also reduced the time of recovery for clients after operation.

Something to consider and ask your medical professional. Ive treated six athletes in this manner and all have returned to competition level in their sports. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭ajk24

Thanks for all the info guys. I live in the Dublin area and have heard of Ray Moran before: My mum knows someone who had a different type of knee surgury done by him; its great to others recommending him also.

I'm also encouraged by the fact that all of you who have replied here have had such positive results from the surgery!

Just wondering how long you guys had to stay out of work following the surgery? I'm an accountant (well, trainee accountant), so there would be no occupational demands at all on my knee other than getting to and from work.

I was desk based at the time and was back at work after 5 days including weekend. I left hospital after 3 days without the aid of crutches - a bit unusual but that is the surgeons policy - 1st walking attempt was 10 hours post op with physio. Not pleasant.

Wasn't able to drive for 2-3 weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 mattdam0n

Hey guys. Just wondering does anyone have experience of getting ACL surgery with Paraic Murray, Fintan Shannon or Stephen Kearns in Galway? My GP has recommended them to me as I have just torn the ACL

Advertisement