Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mystery Tunnels

Options
  • 30-10-2008 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wanted to see if anyone had any stories about secret tunnels running throughout Dublin.

Living in the area i always remember people saying there was a tunnel running from UCD to town, another person said there was a tunnel that lead from Pres Bray to the girls school on the Putland road in Bray.

Personally i have trouble believing any of this but i wanted to see if anyone else had heard similar things!!;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

There are tunnels under UCD, but they're for wires and pipes and I don't think they run to town.

There is a tunnel on the coast at Dalkey beside Loreto. It's boarded up now but originally it led to a well on a rich gentlemans land. He built the tunnel so that he didn't have to look at the plebs. There was an urban legend when I was younger that there was a tunnel from the mainland to Dalkey Island but that it was all closed up because some children died in it when it got flooded. Very weak story, but we believed it when small!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

There's something about a tunnel in Lakelands in Terenure College that leads to Bushy Park. I've seen the supposed opening in Terenure. It's a water system of some sort.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fletch123 wrote: »

There is a tunnel on the coast at Dalkey beside Loreto. It's boarded up now but originally it led to a well on a rich gentlemans land. He built the tunnel so that he didn't have to look at the plebs.

Not the tunnel from Dalkey quarry to Dun Laoghaire by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭TheAlmightyZeus

Here's one for you down at Blackrock Scout Den. Whether its a tunnel or just a well Im not entirely sure about. Was down there a while back pitching a few tents at around 4PM on a Friday and two randomers come strolling down, nod at us and proceed to climb down into the hole. There were gone for 20 mins if not more. Never have taken the time to check it out but must do someday soon.

I like to tell people thats its a shortcut to the Blackrock Shopping Centre car park :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Make up a Caving badge for the scouts and send down a couple of enterprising young lads :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Local legends said there was a tunnel from Dundrum castle to one of the local churches (possibly St Naithai's), but no one ever found it and with all the development in Dundrum the last 10 years i'm sure they would have found it by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

If anyone's interested there's a fantastic thread in AH that's been going for years now, with some brilliant information on Tunnels all over the country.

The tunnels in UCD by the way are more than just maintenance tunnels, but actually full access tunnels that go all over campus from building to building. They were built in when the campus was developed because of all the student protests in France at the time, and it was decided to be a good option for faculty to get around unseen and riot police to get right into the middle of things without problems.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Here's one for you down at Blackrock Scout Den. Whether its a tunnel or just a well Im not entirely sure about. Was down there a while back pitching a few tents at around 4PM on a Friday and two randomers come strolling down, nod at us and proceed to climb down into the hole. There were gone for 20 mins if not more. Never have taken the time to check it out but must do someday soon.

I like to tell people thats its a shortcut to the Blackrock Shopping Centre car park :p

was in souts there for years, rumours of a witch kept me away, think its just drainage or sorts, very dirty and dodge looking, would be jumpin in for fun any time soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Dyflin wrote: »
    Not the tunnel from Dalkey quarry to Dun Laoghaire by any chance?

No, there isn't a tunnel from Dalkey to Dun Laoghaire, you're probably thinking of the Metals, the old mining cart route used to transport granite from Dalkey quarry to the pier at Dun Laoghaire. You can still see some of the track marks up on Dalkey Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Fringe wrote: »
    There's something about a tunnel in Lakelands in Terenure College that leads to Bushy Park. I've seen the supposed opening in Terenure. It's a water system of some sort.

I remember attempting to explore that when I was a pupil there - late 1970s - I was about 14 at the time. I brought a torch into school and along with another couple of lads we went down there one lunchtime with the intention of going all the way from Lakelands to Bushy Park. We got about 50-100 yards down the tunnel before the idea of being in such a confined space with so many rats made us think better of the venture and we turned back.

There are a lot of tunnels like that around Dublin, often small rivers in culverts. The Poodle runs from Kimmage to the city centre like that. There's a small river outside my house that runs under Lower Kilmacud Road down to Blackrock - I think that it comes out in Carysfort Park. I only know about it because my father can remember it running there before it was covered over in the 1960s.

There's another river that exits from a culvert along Stillorgan Grove alongside the wall of John of God's. I think that it comes from a culvert that runs down Brewery Road and was the water source for the brewery that was there in the 19th-early 20th centuries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭mallet head

pork99 wrote: »
    I remember attempting to explore that when I was a pupil there - late 1970s - I was about 14 at the time. I brought a torch into school and along with another couple of lads we went down there one lunchtime with the intention of going all the way from Lakelands to Bushy Park. We got about 50-100 yards down the tunnel before the idea of being in such a confined space with so many rats made us think better of the venture and we turned back.

There are a lot of tunnels like that around Dublin, often small rivers in culverts. The Poodle runs from Kimmage to the city centre like that. There's a small river outside my house that runs under Lower Kilmacud Road down to Blackrock - I think that it comes out in Carysfort Park. I only know about it because my father can remember it running there before it was covered over in the 1960s.

There's another river that exits from a culvert along Stillorgan Grove alongside the wall of John of God's. I think that it comes from a culvert that runs down Brewery Road and was the water source for the brewery that was there in the 19th-early 20th centuries.

There is a map on page 25 of the wild Dublin book by Eanna Ni Lamhna showing all the rivers, streams and brooks in the city. There are a couple of dozen and I would presume almost all are underground at this stage. A lot of the 200 year old+ disused distilleries around town are built adjacent to these old streams as they used them for their water needs in the brewing process. I worked on the refurb of the old whiskey distillery on fumbally lane in blackpits last year and the Poddle runs directly under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 johnnycorcoran

I remember the killiney hill that have a real long tunnel (dont know where it lead) we were with the football team about 20 years ago...All i remember are the stones of walls on the left,right and the ceiling and its about 5 foots height and 2 foots width and pity black...

Do anyone went along those tunnel? I would like to go back again...but cant remember where about on the killiney hill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

Yes, i have heard stories of tunnels, some under my old school that lead to another well known school i am led to believe, they stretch for miles, haven't had the chance to explore them however . Have also heard of some running other tunnels under a main well known street , was informed by a well educated man who happens to be a member of my close family that these tunnels were used by a rich man to bring his horses and carriages to the nearest park with him ( as was the fashion back then ) , to avoid crossing the street and using the narrow lanes. the house in question was the birthplace of a very well known playwright here i believe and it is how the house and story of the tunnels are still known :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

DubMedic wrote: »
    Yes, i have heard stories of tunnels, some under my old school that lead to another well known school i am led to believe, they stretch for miles, haven't had the chance to explore them however . Have also heard of some running other tunnels under a main well known street , was informed by a well educated man who happens to be a member of my close family that these tunnels were used by a rich man to bring his horses and carriages to the nearest park with him ( as was the fashion back then ) , to avoid crossing the street and using the narrow lanes. the house in question was the birthplace of a very well known playwright here i believe and it is how the house and story of the tunnels are still known :)

i have never read something so vague in my life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

i have never read something so vague in my life
    Since you are of the opinion it was vague, you have my consent to delete it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

This just leads you to a dead end at seapoint dart station, but you can look out the round grated windows and scare the sh1t out of people on the platform

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

uch wrote: »
    This just leads you to a dead end at seapoint dart station, but you can look out the round grated windows and scare the sh1t out of people on the platform

Really?

Hmmm.... I'm gonna have to check this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Fletch123 wrote: »
    There are tunnels under UCD, but they're for wires and pipes and I don't think they run to town.

There is a tunnel on the coast at Dalkey beside Loreto. It's boarded up now but originally it led to a well on a rich gentlemans land. He built the tunnel so that he didn't have to look at the plebs. There was an urban legend when I was younger that there was a tunnel from the mainland to Dalkey Island but that it was all closed up because some children died in it when it got flooded. Very weak story, but we believed it when small!

Been down this tunnel many times when I was a child. The story we were told is this tunnel goes under the sea to Dalkey island and monks used it to escape back to the mainland when the Vikings were coming! Myself and my siblings spent copious amount of hours on Dalkey Island looking for the other end of the tunnel...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

There is a tunnel under Benburb Street. It runs from inside Collins Barracks- under the main wall and across the road and out again at a cul de sac called Ellis Court.
    It surfaces under large three story houses there which used to be the officers quarters. Tunnel was there 'just in case'

C

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭stesh

There's one which runs from Heuston through the Phoenix Park, up to Connolly I think. However, it is for no apparent reason disused. According to railusers.ie,it's fully signalled.

A classic Irish tale, no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭UrbexJunkie

Smugglers Tunnel Dalkey

http://www.urbexjunkie.com/2011/04/smugglers-tunnel/

Phoenix Park Railway Tunnel

http://www.urbexjunkie.com/2011/04/phoenix-park-tunnel/

I have yet to visit the UCD Tunnels and the inner city ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

myself and some friends waln the lakelands to bushy park tunnel about fifteen years ago. It goes from the ever flow in lakelands to the top of the waterfall in bushy park. It goes under Rathdown and has plenty of man holes along the way

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is a tunnel going under James St linking Diageo (Guinnesses) on one side of the road to the other

kbannon wrote: »
    There is a tunnel going under James St linking Diageo (Guinnesses) on one side of the road to the other

yeah i seen pictures of that.

5192002042_bd1ece6a04.jpg

ted1 wrote: »
    myself and some friends waln the lakelands to bushy park tunnel about fifteen years ago. It goes from the ever flow in lakelands to the top of the waterfall in bushy park. It goes under Rathdown and has plenty of man holes along the way

I must try to see if this is still accessible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

yeah i seen pictures of that.

5192002042_bd1ece6a04.jpg
    I've been through it several times.
    It is as clean as that pic.

Also here is the tunnel under heuston station, well its more of a subway underpass.

http://www.urbanexploration.ie/community_forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=279

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

i think they put a gate at the lake lands side. If you need me to provide more detail just ask although it is very straight forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Presume service tunnels under UCD have already been mentioned. I think only one of the entrances is still accessible without a key though and even that could be closed up by now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

All of the external ones are usually locked, the ones inside are open. The majority of the outdoor entrances are grated over now. There was a map of the tunnels posted in the UCD forum a while back. They are actually pretty expansive.

Advertisement