Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Mystery Tunnels

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭vickers209

ted1 wrote: »
    The basements that are being filled in we're originally coal bunkers. They would be a chute from the surface down to pour the coal. Most Georgian houses in Dublin have them.

Merrion hotel has one an arch shape cellar with a hole in roof as u say was for pouring coal into I say

Use to deliver briquettes and logs into it but we had to use the stairs to the left of the main door at the front of hotel to get into the cellar

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 1 lamp man

while working in a building on caple st that was a shop called toolz we found in the cellar the original shop front for the building still complete with doors and windows.
    the street out side was just backfilled up to them.
    there was a archaeologist working on a medieval find also under the building, who told us this was the original level of Dublin and to accommodate a sewerage system and the key walls present today they raised the buildings in the keys area by 1 floor.
    these were still visible in 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

Hi all I know of 2 underground tunnels that I have been in. The first is at the bottom of lower Dominick street it started in the basement of the old corner shop and went right under the ilac centre.We went into the tunnel about 200 feet but we turned back as we got scared. Now this was in the early 90s it was after they widened Parnell street.So I imagine its still there today. The second tunnel went from henerita street to the Liffey now this one I was only into it about 15 feet before it got a bit rough. So I can't say for sure if it still goes all the way to the Liffey .. Now here is a good one I was working up in the American ambassadors house in the Phoenix park a few years back. I was running cables around the place. I needed to gain access to the basement it was a 2 floor underground basement with a tunnel in the lower floor with a massive steel door on it I was told not to open the door as an alarm would go off and I would be in the ****. So I got my job finished and I was asking the ambassador at the time where the tunnel went all he said it was a very very long tunnel that went somewhere in the park . A really nice guy by the way I was doing a sound system in the house so I was there for a while and got to know him a little bit . If I had to make a bet I would say it went to farmleigh as there are tunnels in there that I was in as well I have free time and a van if anyone is interested in finding some new tunnels around dublin

Advertisement