Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Setanta Cup Final Cork City Vs Glentoran

• 30-10-2008 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭

Setanta Cup Final on Saturday. Cork City Vs Glentoran at Turners Cross.

This game has descended to farce at this stage. Even though Turners Cross is a supposed neutral venue, Glentoran have been given only 1200 tickets, while City have been given 3000. Then they are closing some of the Shed for "segregation issues" even though there is a big gap anyway between where the Shed ends and the Derrynane stand begins.

THEN, the entire St Annes End is closed as the back of it is deemed unsafe by Health & Safety as it is categorised as a building site at present. Despite TWO separate builders offering to clean up and do the necessary work this week, The Munster FA/FAI have refused both offers, therefore meaning 2800 seats will be empty at this game on Saturday.

An absolute joke is what it is. The reasoning, supposedly, they wanted the game at The Cross, rather than an actual neutral venue, was so it would be in a full stadium, to look good for sponsors and look good on TV. As far as I am concerned this is an indictment of how poorly this entire league is run. The FAI really could not care less. Imagine if work needed doing in Croke Park before the All Ireland? It would be done with zero fuss, it would not even be an issue.

On the game itself, I really do not know. It will be a tight affair, and am going to say only one goal will be scored. Fingers Crossed for a City win.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I won't be able to go because of work. ive missed loads of games this season cos of work.:(

i hope city win but i would'nt underestimate Glentoran either. i'd say it will be a tight affair tbh.

the whole seating thing sounds a bit crap. They should put the glentoran fans in at the st.annes end of the derrynane stand and have it split around the middle to keep the fans apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Sorry to hear about the ****e surrounding what should be a good match. I agree with ya gimmick (*shudder* ;) ) the way things are going lately it is just a never ending disaster.

Hoping for a Glens win however ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

It's an absolute joke that the whole of the St. Annes End will be closed. Apparently not a tack of work has been done since the Drogs game two weeks ago :eek:.

It is completely unfair to both sets of supporters. Some Glens supporters, who were promised more tickets, already had travel and accommodation sorted and City supporters travelling home hoping they would have a ticket for it.

As for the game itself, I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping it will be a night to remember for city players, management and supporters after everything that has happened this season. But in saying that, definitely not gonna underestimate Glentoran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Would love to see Glentoran do it but don't they have two players suspended?

The stadium situation is abit odd but before the competition started, all teams knew that the final would be held in the South if the final was made up of a team from the North and a team from the South.

Don't understand how they can claim it's neutral if Cork have more seats. :confused:

Would love to see Glentoran do it but don't they have two players suspended?

They have Jason Hill and Paul Leeman suspended. Leeman is their captain who recieved a red card against Drogheda, which was appealed but he ended up with a three match ban.

No suspensions for City, thankfully. Lordan and Healy both out injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Should be a good night.

Dry down here in Cork.

Very remenisint of November 2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Should be a good night.

Dry down here in Cork.

Very remenisint of November 2005

is it?

to be perfectly honest, im not at all pushed about the game. if im being really honest, im more excited about going to Greg and Shane afterwards than going to the game!

I was speaking about the weather.

The MFA F**K up has taken the gloss away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Cork 2-1 up.

Kearney just put them ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

The best football club on the island of Ireland. It's official.

• Advertisement

Pure Cork wrote: »
    The best football club on the island of Ireland. It's official.

"We are the champions, champions of Ireland" :pac:

Delighted, what a night. Great atmosphere around the place. When the players and management celebrating, you could see how much it meant to them. Great end after all the s*** that has happened this season :)

One final note, Stokes, what a joke of a referee!

Real shame about the St. Annes end being closed.

Apart from that it was a great night.

Great to have a big away crowd. Made the atmosphere all the better.

Murray & Kearney were joint MOTM IMO.

Agreed. Stokes was a disgrace. Very influenced by the crowd. THat was never a foul on Murray for their goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great to have a big away crowd. Made the atmosphere all the better.

Agreed. Stokes was a disgrace. Very influenced by the crowd. THat was never a foul on Murray for their goal.

Apart from the fact they were utter filth. Every last one of them. Disgraceful people. I don't think I have ever met a more sectarian shower of pricks in my life. The only atmosphere they created was one of confrontation. Thank you CCFCSC for "inviting" them to the Everqueen before the game. Idiots.

And yes, Stokes is a pity. As far as I am concerned, he wanted Glentoran to win that game last night.

As for the game itself, Gary Hamilton showed himself again for what he is - disgrace to the game. But he also showed that he is small time. Glentoran are a rubbish side. We should have won that by alot more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

It was a very good cup final, good football and plenty of chances at either end. Very enjoyable match even for a neutral. The fitness of the teams was a major factor. Hopefully, the FAI cup final will be half as good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Gareth37

gimmick wrote: »
    Apart from the fact they were utter filth. Every last one of them. Disgraceful people. I don't think I have ever met a more sectarian shower of pricks in my life. The only atmosphere they created was one of confrontation. Thank you CCFCSC for "inviting" them to the Everqueen before the game. Idiots.

And yes, Stokes is a pity. As far as I am concerned, he wanted Glentoran to win that game last night.

As for the game itself, Gary Hamilton showed himself again for what he is - disgrace to the game. But he also showed that he is small time. Glentoran are a rubbish side. We should have won that by alot more.

Its good to have rivalry in sport too. It really gave the game passion, especially for us neutrals :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I am all for atmosphere, but singing "the sash" in a pub down here is looking for trouble IMO.

We are no angels either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

A lot of meaty challenges were put in that the ref seemed to just ignore, he seemed to have no interest in taking action to stop it.

Atmosphere sounded class though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

Great match -- enjoyed every minute of it as a neutral. Brilliant comeback by Cork, and I thought Kearney was outstanding.

Advertisement