Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killarney Sports Complex

Options
  • 30-10-2008 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

wondered what are your views on the new Killarney Sports Complex ... http://www.auraleisurecentres.ie/locations/aura-killarney.html ...

I have not yet managed to visit the place but wondered what your experiences of the complex is like?

From the outside anyways i personally think they could have done a lot more and maybe a sign from the road advertising what the building actually is wouldn't go astray imo but just curious about the inside, as i haven't got around to going myself yet.

They do seem to have a good fitness time-table going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

We have joined this place and after 3 months have mixed feelings. The facilities are second to none, but we've come across a few people in the pool hall who you would cross the street to avoid. There have been a couple of cases of aggression in the swimming lanes, and my wife was told to f*ck off when she remonstrated with one man who surfaced beneath her when she was trying to swim lengths. The staff, youngsters and very pleasant, dealt with this as best they could - but this is funded by the council and they cannot turn anyone away. They are also under pressure to accommodate schoolchildren in term time, and this has severely restricted the times we can use the place. It is good to see young families using the place, and the swimming facilities are perfect for this.
    Otherwise, the place is lightly used, and the gym looks great. My suggestion is that you 'pay and go' for a few visits to see how you like it - that's what I wish we'd done. Let's know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭willit

My wife and I are members there and we are both very impressed. We were living in Australia for about four years and this place is every bit as good as most of the places over there. I can't say anything about the pool because I have yet to use it but this is down to the reasons mentioned in the post above. The gym is very well equipped with both free weights and machines for all exercises depending on your own preference. The classes, spin etc., are also very good however they fill up fast so you would want to be in no later than thrity minutes before they start to ensure a place. The instructors are also very approachable and quite knowledgeable but, as with anything, you really get out of it what you put into it so really a gym is as good as you make it in the end. I would also recommend paying as you go for a few weeks and if you like it you can then join on, if not, you've signed nothing so you can just walk away.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

I meant to post on this a few months back but actually forgot about this thread being here :o

I have to say this is proving to be quite an asset for Killarney. Their are very few hours in the day where it is actually quiet. Just about every piece of gym equipment you could possibly need is up in the gym and they run classes to suit everyone.
    I still haven't signed up but do attend on a pay-as-you-go regularly and it is totally worth the 8.50euros fee per visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Used this place once out of curiosity after it opened and the facilities are very good and it is priced cheaper than the local Hotel facilities. It is a public pool as the others have said and there is a halting site nearby and has been given the nickname of "the pavee bathtub" still it is good and I had a mighty laugh eavesdropping on the conversations of the aforementioned in the steamroom. :pac:

Advertisement