Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De la Red retires after collapsing on pitch

• 30-10-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

http://football.uk.reuters.com/european/news/LU126095.php

MADRID, Oct 30 (Reuters) - Real Madrid's Spain midfielder Ruben de la Red collapsed and was taken to hospital during their King's Cup last 32, first leg tie at Real Union on Thursday.

In the 13th minute, De la Red was running back to towards the halfway line when, without anyone in close proximity, he suddenly fell face first on to the pitch and lay motionless.

Medical staff were quickly in attendance and he showed signs of movement as he was carried off on stretcher.

Spanish media reports said the 23-year-old had recovered consciousness after a drop in blood pressure and had to be taken to a local hospital in Irun.

Really hope he's ok. Didnt Puerta regain consciousness at one stage? Im sure he walked off the pitch. Best wishes to the chap.

:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Scary stuff that, hope he's alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Archimedes wrote: »

Really hope he's ok. Didnt Puerta regain consciousness at one stage? Im sure he walked off the pitch. Best wishes to the chap.

Puerta regained consciousness on the pitch then walked off and collapsed in the dressing room. This time he didn't wake up. Hope De Le Red is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Jaysus, that's worrying. Hope he's alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Hopefully it was something as simple as dehydration. Great player. Hope he will be okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Just seen it on youtube, it's a bit mad, falls near the edge of the box, was just walking back -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39knfNv5Z4

Ye'd hope he's alright, doesn't look great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Scary alright, especially so early in a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

colly10 wrote: »
    Just seen it on youtube, it's a bit mad, falls near the edge of the box, was just walking back -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X39knfNv5Z4

Ye'd hope he's alright, doesn't look great

Jays, hopefully he just fainted. I hate seeing things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

Jaysus I hope he's ok, this is happening way too much in our sport these days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I remember hearing before that this happening is something to do with the sports drinks e.g. the isotonic drinks.

wonder if thats true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I heard it's a swarm of nano-robots secretly developed then released by the CIA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After Hours is elsewhere.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

jes thats awful, hope he's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

weird, some sites saying he was 'fortunate' that it was found to be caused by low blood pressure. low blood pressure can be a symptom of some fairly serious heart conditions. hope it turns out to be just a case of dehydration, although if it occurred after only 13 mins you'd really have to wonder...

anyway, hope he recovers swiftly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

weird, some sites saying he was 'fortunate' that it was found to be caused by low blood pressure. low blood pressure can be a symptom of some fairly serious heart conditions. hope it turns out to be just a case of dehydration, although if it occurred after only 13 mins you'd really have to wonder...

anyway, hope he recovers swiftly.

Yeah, but it's one of those things that someone just checked the first line of Wikipedia. Everythin is a symptom of everything, and low blood pressure just doesn't sound serious unless ya dig a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Hope the guys ok.

Apparently one of the problems of modern sports is the guys are so fit and do so much cardio etc that some medical conditions that would never manifest themselves in a normal person are more likely to show in a pro athlete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Seems to be ok thank god, crazy stuff though.

http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=940926

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

De la Red has today announced his retirement from the game. Doctors can't diagnose what the exact problem is. Poor chap :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

What a shame. He looked pretty useful and had a lot of potential.

Glad he got a position as youth coach though and he hasn't been completely let fall by the wayside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shame. Liked him as a player despite his Real Madridness. Better safe than sorry and all that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Glad he got a position as youth coach though and he hasn't been completely let fall by the wayside.

+1

And on a side note - what an epic name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

What a shame. He looked pretty useful and had a lot of potential.

I get the impression that Real are a pretty decent club in that regard.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Morf wrote: »
    I get the impression that Real are a pretty decent club in that regard.

They tried to screw him over entirely last year, wanted to sack him and not be responsible for treating him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Ya, as well as diagnose his problem as common, which they made happen. He was only on 1,600 a month from the club while out.

But Madrid probably paid for his medical treatment and investigations etc which would have cost thousands for the standard he was getting.

It's not that bad a pay for someone who's effectively not doing their job, and I don't mean that in a heartless sense just in the way that at least they kept him on and paid him and paid for medical even though he wasnt doing what he was contracted to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Seaneh wrote: »
    They tried to screw him over entirely last year, wanted to sack him and not be responsible for treating him!

I did ask a Real fan from Madrid about it and what he told me about the situation lead me to have this view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Very sad news for a young player, he is staying on as a coach with Madrid now though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Very best of luck to him, glad he is ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Poor chap indeed.
    I hate to see the likes of Drenthe's reaction in the video, eerily stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

But Madrid probably paid for his medical treatment and investigations etc which would have cost thousands for the standard he was getting.

It's not that bad a pay for someone who's effectively not doing their job, and I don't mean that in a heartless sense just in the way that at least they kept him on and paid him and paid for medical even though he wasnt doing what he was contracted to do.

Which they can well afford to do!

Which they can well afford to do!

Absolutely, but they easily could have released him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Absolutely, but they easily could have released him.
    Well, no they couldn't, as I said, but they tried to. He had a contract and they troed not yo honour it. I hope the lad got a good insurence payout.

Advertisement