Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Icynene for patch up insulation?

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Boarders,
    We're renting a duplex house/apartment. It turns out that the roof space wasn't properly insulated - at the very edge, under the lowest part of the sloping roof, no insulation at all was placed (the rest of the roof space is insulated with the yellow glass fibre stuff). In addition, in this hard-to-access space daylight is visible coming up under the eaves; I know that attics are supposed to be ventilated, but this seems quite extreme. Given many other construction problems in the place, I imagine it's the result of sloppy workmanship rather than planning.
    Furthermore, there is no insulation around the roof space side of the 'chimney' that links the bathroom with its skylight (a vertical surface). Furtherfurthermore, there is no apparent insulation under the cold water tank - i Know that this is recommended practice, however immmediately underneath this, I think, is our ensuite, which has had very severe condensation problems on the ceiling caused - I believe - by the ceiling being chilled by this lack of insulation.

I've been looking into spray on Icynene, and it seems to meet many of the particular needs of our roof space. Has anyone out there any experience of this material, or any suggestions as to cheaper/easier alternatives? Some form of fibre roll could be pushed into the uninsulated eave-side space, but I'm dubious of the big gap I can see there. However, I would think that only something 'sticky' would adhere to the plasterboard shape of the skylight 'chimney'. Thanks for reading this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to the main C & P forum.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

always make sure whatever product you are thinking of using has proper certification for use....
    for example an IAB, BBA or european standard cert...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hector's House

sydthebeat wrote: »
    always make sure whatever product you are thinking of using has proper certification for use....
    for example an IAB, BBA or european standard cert...
    Cheers Syd - do you mean the product, or the person applying it? Will check that out anyway....

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Cheers Syd - do you mean the product, or the person applying it? Will check that out anyway....

certainly the product....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Are you paying for the new insulation? Or will your Landlord?
    I'd be livid if a tenant started carrying out works without my knowledge or permission!

There shouldn't be any fibre glass insulation under the water tank. The lid and sides of the tank should be fully insulated! If this is done well then heat loss from the en-suite should be minimal.

The walls of the funnel to the velux can be insulated easily with fibre glass quilt. (Can be itchy to touch and must wear gloves, mask and safety goggles)

As Syd said "always make sure whatever product you are thinking of using has proper certification for use....for example an IAB, BBA or european standard cert".

• Advertisement
Advertisement