Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween Recipes

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭

I just thought I'd share my favourite website at the moment, and it has some really good halloween recipes:

www.101cookbooks.com

I have just made these Caramel Apples and These Espresso Caramel Sweets.

Both are both absolutely delish. Would even consider giving them to the kiddies calling if home-made wasn't a no-no allergy wise!

So if the baking urge takes you tomorrow, what festive recipes will you be trying out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I made a brack today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Oh lovely, a brack! Do you have the recipe?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Eviledna wrote: »
    Would even consider giving them to the kiddies calling if home-made wasn't a no-no allergy wise!

What? It's ok to give kids factory made, additive laden sweets but it's not ok to give them homemade treats?
    Surely, allergy risk in shop bought products is the same - nuts, dairy, colours etc.

Oh and on your theme; It's not very Halloweeny but I made a very nice pea and pumpkin soup - good way to use up the pumpkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

Oh lovely, a brack! Do you have the recipe?:pac:

Indeed I do... You can find it at http://statisticalbaking.blogspot.com

What? It's ok to give kids factory made, additive laden sweets but it's not ok to give them homemade treats?
    Surely, allergy risk in shop bought products is the same - nuts, dairy, colours etc.

That indeed may be true in principle, but I don't tend to print my list of ingredients on my home made treats, nor do issue allergy advice, leaving me much more open to being sued if the little darlings choke on a nut than any big corporation and mass produced "additive laden sweets"!
    Oh and on your theme; It's not very Halloweeny but I made a very nice pea and pumpkin soup - good way to use up the pumpkin.

Sounds lovely, have you got the recipe?
    Indeed I do... You can find it at http://statisticalbaking.blogspot.com

Thanks Nothing, I'm gonna give that a try, lovely blog too!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

That indeed may be true in principle, but I don't tend to print my list of ingredients on my home made treats, nor do issue allergy advice, leaving me much more open to being sued if the little darlings choke on a nut than any big corporation and mass produced "additive laden sweets"!

You don't sound very evil ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Brack recipe

15fl oz cold tea
    7 oz brown sugar
    10 oz sultanas
    12 oz self raising flour
    2 oz mixed peel
    1 beaten egg

Put tea, fruit, peel and sugar into a bowl, cover and ,leave to soak overnight.
    Sieve the flour into the mixture, add the egg and mix well.
    Bake in a greased tin at 180c for 90 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Nice recipe Jos28..

I'd use hot tea to soak the fruit, and add the egg to the wet mixture before the flour or it's much harder to mix in properly.

Sounds lovely, have you got the recipe?

Thing is, many multipacks don't have any ingredients listed on the individual packs.

Pea and Pumpkin Soup

Very basic soup:

Gently fry some onion, leek, celery, a little garlic, and a potato in some butter.

When soft add pumpkin and frozen peas (roughly equal amounts) and some chicken stock.

Cook gently for about 5 or ten minutes and whizz.

Check seasoning and serve with a little greek style yoghurt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

anyone ever made pumpkin pie? i'm fascinated as to what it's like. can't imagine it at all

It's that time of year again, is anyone planning on doing some candy-making or baking for the goulish season?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Might not get a chance but if I do, bat, ghost, cat & pumpkin shaped butter cookies with green icing or orange and black icing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Hallowe'en recipes thread, and no-one has mentioned Colcannon?

Curly Kale mixed up with mashed potatoes, with two euro coins wrapped in bread paper strewn throughout.

De-lish!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

I am going to bake a haunted gingerbread house with all the "trimmings". Marzipan pumpkins, snakes, skulls etc. Also lots of cookies, bats are my favourite!

Des wrote: »
    Hallowe'en recipes thread, and no-one has mentioned Colcannon?

Curly Kale mixed up with mashed potatoes, with two euro coins wrapped in bread paper strewn throughout.

De-lish!

Oh god I LOVE colcannon, had completely forgotten it! No-one makes it like my Mam though :D She'll be getting a halloween request so...

Thinking of making peanutbutter fudge, toffee with walnuts and big chocolate cookies. Trying to arrange them in scary shapes will be the challenge...

Advertisement