Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW Part question

Options
  • 30-10-2008 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭

Question there on BMW E36

What is the name of the part (something belt) that works with contolling the water pump, the battery think it may have something to do with tempature/electrics. sorry for being so vague had soem work done on car and guy said that belt is very worn

any one know what i'm on about?!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Medlar

theres a couple of belts in your car fella, what work did you have done?? your timing belt needs to be done every 100k mls, if your car has more mileage then this, and hasnt had the timing belt done, get it done ASAP.if its the fanbelt, its not as major.either way, if the belts are worn, get them replaced asap.if they snap, they could destroy your engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭seanie500

No it's not the timing belt correct me if i'm wrong but on the E36's it's a chain not a belt so it doesnt need to be replaced. If it was the timing belt does it affect the water pump and power coming from the battery? perhaps the chain is so worn that it needs to be replaced? anyone know? definitely not the fan belt would have remembered that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

The fan belt is another name for the alternator belt, which drives things like the a/c compressor too. On many cars the water pump is driven off the timing belt/chain. Timing belts are also called cambelts. Any of these sound familiar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Medlar wrote: »
    theres a couple of belts in your car fella, what work did you have done?? your timing belt needs to be done every 100k mls, if your car has more mileage then this, and hasnt had the timing belt done, get it done ASAP.if its the fanbelt, its not as major.either way, if the belts are worn, get them replaced asap.if they snap, they could destroy your engine.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anan1 wrote: »
    The fan belt is another name for the alternator belt, which drives things like the a/c compressor too. On many cars the water pump is driven off the timing belt/chain. Timing belts are also called cambelts. Any of these sound familiar?

Well the guy did mention that it will affect the water pump so based on what u say it may mean the timing belt/chain. So my question then is even though the E36 has a timing chain as opposed to a timing belt is it common for this to wear and need replacement? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It sounds like the serpentine belt which runs the water pump and alternator...

The belt is about €12 and takes about 5 mins to fit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Ring the guy today and ask him.

Everyone here is very helpful and will have a go at telling you what it is, but at the end of the day we cannot really and this could potentially cost you thousands of euros if the timing chain failed (which it can). So call him and get clarification :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I would be 99% certain that he is talking about the Serpantine belt, also known as the fan belt. They sometimes make a squeaking noise when they are past their best. Get it done soon, it went on my M5 as I was going into a fast tight bend and I lost the power steering amongst some other services, that was a hairy moment that I dont want to go through again. Also if the belt goes it will take at least 30minutes to remove the debris from the engine bay. Its a 10minute job otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭bonham23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Notch000

There is no timing belt on a E36
    AFIK there is also no fan belt either, the fan runs directly off the engine drive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭DM-BM

4 cylinder 8v e36s from '91-'93 do have a timing belt.

All e36 6 cylinder models and 4 cylinder models from '93 (september on, i think ) have timing chains.

All timing chain models, use a fan belt to drive the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump, and a seperate belt to the drive air con compressor.

I can't remember how the water pump is driven on the early (91-93) 4 cylinder 8v engines.

What year and model is your car?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

be sure to change the tensioner aswell as the belt, that can squeek like mad when it fails.,
    the best should be about a tenner and the tensioner isnt much more.,

DM-BM wrote: »
    4 cylinder 8v e36s from '91-'93 do have a timing belt.

All e36 6 cylinder models and 4 cylinder models from '93 (september on, i think ) have timing chains.

All timing chain models, use a fan belt to drive the water pump, alternator, and power steering pump, and a seperate belt to the drive air con compressor.

I can't remember how the water pump is driven on the early (91-93) 4 cylinder 8v engines.

What year and model is your car?

Its a 97 E 36 1.8 not sure what cylinder it is though

must be fan /serpentine belt so better give hima shout pronto so

Advertisement