Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a REALLY GOOD vegatarian restraurant Dublin?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Welcome -lala- :D

You are right, the selection for vegans in Cornicopia is limited - I'm not a fan of curries and nearly every time I go in, the vegan main is a curry :/

On another note - I was in Pacino's (Opposite the Avoca shop in Dublin City) for a staff lunch. I had warned them that a vegan would be with the group (we pre-booked). They were VERY iffy with the term on the phone and hadn't quite got the hang of it when I enquired upon arrival, but they were full of smiles and accomodating and it was decided that the Toasted Veggie Ciabatta (without the cheese - "Roast zucchini and red peppers, fresh sliced beef tomato, rocket, olive oil, mozzarella cheese and basil pesto") would suit. They served it with chips and some salad leaves and I have to say it was delicious! Only €8.95 for a filling tastey meal. I didn't expect that! So, any vegans stuck in town - I recommend this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I thought pesto wasn't vegan?

It should just be oil and basil. I had made it clear about what was and what was not allowed, so I have to presume it was ok. Tasted vegan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I'm not even a vegetarian, and Govinda's rocks my socks.

I am vegetarian and find it disgusting. Have eaten in it twice and majorly disappointed both times. Never again.

Not particularly the standard of cooking. It's just that type of food is just not for me. Don't know how to explain it. Just didn't like the sauces and one dish included goat's cheese which I can't handle at all without some wretching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

It should just be oil and basil.

It should be oil, basil, pine nuts and Parmesan (or some other hard cheese). The Parmesan should be made with calf rennet.

Back to the orginal question, if I was bringing a Veggie to to a real good restraurant in Dublin it would be here. Not totally Veggie but ....

http://www.chameleonrestaurant.com/menu1.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

It should be oil, basil, pine nuts and Parmesan (or some other hard cheese). The Parmesan should be made with calf rennet.

Back to the orginal question, if I was bringing a Veggie to to a real good restraurant in Dublin it would be here. Not totally Veggie but ....

http://www.chameleonrestaurant.com/menu1.aspx

And so such a pesto wouldn't be vegetarian.

I got one made by a company called Meridian that's suitable for vegans as well as vegetarians. Almost sure I got it in Lidl or Aldi. And it's yummy.

You see, I think it's odd that anything other than basil and oil should be in the pesto. TBH it didn't appear to have bits of pine nut or parmesan in it... But I shall enquire further next time I am offered such! Either way, I over informed them that I was vegan, and they suggested and offered me an appropriate dessert without me even asking for one, which I was impressed with, so here's to me hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

You see, I think it's odd that anything other than basil and oil should be in the pesto.

Yeah, I guess there are as many varieties of pesto as there are true religions but the textbook one has cheese and pine nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pesto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Pesto almost always has cheese and pine nuts in as these help bring the mix together. Without it, it tends to just be slimy oily leaves. I would be astonished if the one you had was vegan, sweet-rasmus.

If you're making pesto yourself, a vegetarian Pecorino Romano is probably the best substitute for the Parmigiano Reggiano. Oh, and toast the pine nuts first and don't forget to season it well.

I emailed the restaurant and all is well.
    Our pesto used on our ciabatta's is simply olive oil and basil. So you don't need to worry.

Brill :) So, I stand by my recommendation of this dish!

• Advertisement
Advertisement