Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BEFORE YOU GO!!!

Options
  • 31-10-2008 3:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭

Alot of people seem to be coming over at the moment so i just said i would say the following as alot of people over here that ive spoken to didnt know about it.

When you finish up in work and recieve your P45, bring it into your tax office as you are entitled to a big tax refund that they send out to you in a cheque.

:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

As far as i know, you have to be out of work a month before you can apply. This causes problems with filling in your P50 to claim the tax back, if like a lot of people you only just finish work before you come over.

What I did was fill in my P50 as much as i could, and signed it, then when my P45 arrived I got my parents to fill in the rest and post it in.

Also, you'll only get back what tax you've paid. I left early in the year so i didnt get back as much as someone leaving in november would get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Well I just brought in my P45 straight away when i got it, filled out the form and got them to put the funds into my account.

Simple, no need to make it so complicated at all.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I'm flying out the end of january or the start me February. So your saying i'd be better off leaving my job in December and get my tax back for the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Jaybee

Sorry you're all wrong! You only get your unused tax credits for the year back. Im leaving work next week. My tax credits are 78euro pw so multiply 78eur by how many weeks are left in the year and thats how much I am due back.

I called the tax office and they told me this week...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,967 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

jenben1982 wrote: »
    Sorry you're all wrong! You only get your unused tax credits for the year back. Im leaving work next week. My tax credits are 78euro pw so multiply 78eur by how many weeks are left in the year and thats how much I am due back.

I called the tax office and they told me this week...

That's the right answer for you, but 'tis more complicated for that overall.

If you're living in Ireland for less than a magic number of days (183 I think ... check with the revenue) then you are not tax resident for the year, so you get all your tax back.

If you're really clever, you holiday for a few weeks before going to the country you'll be working in, so aren't tax resident there for that year, either. This can be quite lucrative.

There may be other rules that apply too, the above is just how it worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What i was told was that everyone gets a tax allowance for the year. Instead of not paying any tax for the first part of the year, and paying loads of tax for the end part of the year, the tax allowance is spread out over the whole year, so any taz you've paid you get back, assuming you havent gone over your tax allowance.

For example, if your tax allowance for the year is a grand, but you've paid 1500 in tax, you'll only get a grand back. if you've only paid 500, you'll get 500 back.

Advertisement