Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kildare Council Incompetence

Options
  • 31-10-2008 8:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Last night the weather forecast temperatures of minus 5. This followed a wet evening.

1+1 = Dangerous road conditions.

Do you think Kildare Co Co would have the intelligence to grit the roads??? - No!! Not a chance. Not even the main roads. Happens every bloody year. -

Their action today has led to numerous accidents around N78, Athy, Naas, Kildare, Newbridge areas.

Incompetent buffoons!

Update - 14 accidents in Naas Athy, Newbridge axis reported by Naas Traffic corp between 7am & 8.30am this morning!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

darc wrote: »
    Do you think Kildare Co Co would have the intelligence to grit the roads??? - No!! Not a chance. Not even the main roads. Happens every bloody year. -

Their action today has led to numerous accidents around N78, Athy, Naas, Kildare, Newbridge areas.
    The motorists involved bare no responsibility at all :confused:

I agree maybe the roads should have been gritted but its a motorists responsibility to drive appropriately for the road conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

While I agree drivers do bare a chunk of the responsibility a little help from the council wouldnt go astray. I drove the Athy - Kilcullen road this morning and it was treacherous. I literally had to drive at 15 km/hr and even at that if I touched either the accelerator or brake the car was starting to slide. There were trucks pulled in that couldnt drive in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

I believe the system used by local authorites used to forecast frost was indicating that there would bve NO frost last night; therefore the roads where not gritted!

Just relaying the facts, this is not a defence of the local authorities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

I believe the system used by local authorites used to forecast frost was indicating that there would bve NO frost last night; therefore the roads where not gritted!

Just relaying the facts, this is not a defence of the local authorities!

The weather forecast at 3, 4, 5 , 6 ,7 ,8, & 9pm forecasted temps of minus 5. If the buffoons in KCC can't understand wet roads + minus 5 temps = black ice then we're in for another rash of accidents the next freezing night.

You don't necessarily need frost to cause treachourous driving conditions!

As for drivers bearing responsibility, even at very slow speeds, black ice can cause problems for the most experienced drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

if a car is havin trouble drivin on it how do ya expect a truck weighin maybe 7-9 ton drive on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

guil07 wrote: »
    if a car is havin trouble drivin on it how do ya expect a truck weighin maybe 7-9 ton drive on it

The idea of the gritting truck is to get out there before the roads get too dangerous also it's hardly rocket science to have some sort of grit spreader on the front of a truck for roads that are already frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

yeah but havin a spreader on the front isnt goin to make the ice melt before the whells go over it, i'm on the road every mornin at 5 in a 32 ton truck, friday mornin was lethal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Ha believe me Kildare Co Co and competence are not two phrases that belong in the same sentence! They do as little as possible that they can get away with, be it fixing the roads (throwing stones in a pothole is about as effective a way to fix it as filling it with custard...) or doing things like gritting the roads.

That said, I can guarantee that at least 10 of those 14 accidents were caused by motorists not driving the conditions. The level of driving in this county is extremely poor to say the least, and given the amount of idiots Ive seen driving at breakneck speeds in icy conditions, Im not surprised there was so many accidents.

Advertisement