Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New taxi fare from midnight

Options
  • 31-10-2008 8:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭

This is a disgrace.These are the very people who constantly winge and moan..but that seems to come with there job.I dont use taxis much and wouldnt if i could to a nightclub;)but when you do be in the car and you ask is it busy etc...they tell you ""no not tonight ,theres no work out there"""then he tells you he makes about 500-600 for a 40 hour week:eek:but that isnt good enough he would say.Its a common thing for these taxiheads to moan and winge and all have there own houses,decent cars,pay little road tax,and then they get a 8.9% rise..........who else gets a rise like this?????

Taxi regulator is a disgrace,prob a big 20 stone dude also:D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PRND

There has been an awful amount of complaining recently on boards about taxis and the new fares.

The cost of fuel has gone up quite a bit so is only fair they get a raise but I think it is now getting to the level where people on a budget will avoid a taxi at all costs.

Possibly the fares were too high before the raise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

PRND wrote: »
    There has been an awful amount of complaining recently on boards about taxis and the new fares.

The cost of fuel has gone up quite a bit so is only fair they get a raise but I think it is now getting to the level where people on a budget will avoid a taxi at all costs.

Possibly the fares were too high before the raise?
    The price off oil is around 60 dollars a barrell so now way is it going up and is on its way down instead.These fares were way to much as it was before this.Does that mean everyone that drives gets a 8.9% rise????taught not.Taxi men are just MEAN;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

tv3 wrote: »
    Taxi men are just MEAN;)
    You fail to realise that the majority of taxi drivers do not want the increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

then he tells you he makes about 500-600 for a 40 hour week:eek:
    Before tax, insurance, and fuel. Oh, and if he isn't driving, fuel has a tendancy to disappear anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Yes exactly, I heard on Red fm in cork a week ago about the taxi drivers threatening to just keep the prices at the old levels because they said if they didnt it would put people off using taxi's which would be bad for the industry.
    But the regulator said they would fine the taxis in cork if they didnt increase their fares.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The problem for taxi drivers is there's too many taxis chasing too few fares, increasing the fares will make less people take a taxi. Perhaps if we were back in the 1980's the minister for transport would suspend the Nitelinks in Dublin to allow the taxis to make more money, I'm glad though that such days are over.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭rusalka

Yeah, but they don't have to charge it. The regulator sets the maximum amount they can charge, but there is nothing to stop them from refusing to pass on the increase to the customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

The taxi regulator sets the maximum fare a driver may charge, yet threatens to fine drivers who want to charge the lower existing fare...

The customer does not want an increase (obviously) and the taxi driver does not want an increase, yet the regulator is increasing fares after consultations with everyone, except, it would appear, the customer and the taxi driver...

The taxi regulator has managed to pit the taxi drivers against the customers, and against each other. Standards have fallen like a stone. Cars are now older, under maintained, and there are hardly any wheelchair accessible taxis. Many taxi drivers do not know their way around. Illegal taxis are everywhere, and overcharging is rife.

I borrowed heavily to get into the industry. I am now getting out, and I will never see my investment again. I suppose it's a bit like an entrepreneur whose first business doesn't work out. I'll have to bite the bullet. But I WANTED to be a taxi driver. I was a damned good, experienced driver, with a long background in customer service, and a full knowledge of the city and county. I got nothing but thanks and praise from my customers.

I didn't expect much, just a living wage. But at an average of €4 to €6 an hour, if I don't get out bloody quick I will lose my home and everything. I spent €3,000 this year on car repairs. I'll never see that money back, and the car is worthless, although for my own purposes, it is an excellent, large, clean, reliable car. Even if I was desperate to stay in the job, I have no remote prospect of doing so, simply because when my car finally gives up, I cannot replace it. I have thrown a lot of money, probably as much as €25,000 over the past four years, to get myself into and keep myself in a job I loved. At this stage it's good money after bad.

I can make about €200 on a long Saturday night, without a radio. It can take five weekday afternoons or evenings, take your pick, to match that. That's €400 for a week's work. I was earning little more on a radio, and paying €80 a week for the privelege of sitting in a base station watching hours of rubbish television. Enough work for two cars. And six or seven looking for the work. No matter how much I want the job, I cannot survive on that. Getting the clutch, flywheel, and starter motor replaced alone, cost four week's wages!

Everyone says get out, and that's what I'm doing. Dublin is getting the taxi service it asks for. It's such a waste though. It shouldn't need to be like that. Bertie and Ivor were well able to cap taxi licences when it suited them. And the taxi drivers got blamed for lack of taxis. There's no need to bring back the cap, just put in place credible entry requirements, a decent entrance exam, for example. A proactive complaints system too, to weed out the bad drivers.

We are flooding the market now, on a promise of tighter standards in a few years time. It'll be too late. The good men who invested time and effort in decent cars will be gone. Only a fool would invest now in the expense to meet the proposed regulations in 2012. Why weren't the standards brought in straight away, before all the cheap cars landed?

This job has destroyed me, and it will take a few years to get back on a level, and clear all the debt. I have just one question. WHY was this failed policy pursued relentlessly, even when all and sundry could see the effect it was having?

Why do they not want the new fares????

Il tell you,its because it will cost them approx 70euro to get the meter changed every year "i think" 70 euro...:eek:thats why!

And i do not believe for 1 minute that "hyderoad" makes just 400 a week because if he did :rolleyes: he would do 5 nights a week!Or longer hours !
    Nothing but immigrants that dont know A to B are driving taxis now and thats a disgrace alone !:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Username!

I was in a taxi this morning and the topic came up.

He said he's going to wait as long as possible because it's €130 altogether to get the unit reprogrammed and resealed with the lead - it will take a long while to earn that back with the 8c on ever Euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

HydeRoad wrote: »
    The taxi regulator sets the maximum fare a driver may charge, yet threatens to fine drivers who want to charge the lower existing fare...

The customer does not want an increase (obviously) and the taxi driver does not want an increase, yet the regulator is increasing fares after consultations with everyone, except, it would appear, the customer and the taxi driver...

The taxi regulator has managed to pit the taxi drivers against the customers, and against each other. Standards have fallen like a stone. Cars are now older, under maintained, and there are hardly any wheelchair accessible taxis. Many taxi drivers do not know their way around. Illegal taxis are everywhere, and overcharging is rife.

I borrowed heavily to get into the industry. I am now getting out, and I will never see my investment again. I suppose it's a bit like an entrepreneur whose first business doesn't work out. I'll have to bite the bullet. But I WANTED to be a taxi driver. I was a damned good, experienced driver, with a long background in customer service, and a full knowledge of the city and county. I got nothing but thanks and praise from my customers.

I didn't expect much, just a living wage. But at an average of €4 to €6 an hour, if I don't get out bloody quick I will lose my home and everything. I spent €3,000 this year on car repairs. I'll never see that money back, and the car is worthless, although for my own purposes, it is an excellent, large, clean, reliable car. Even if I was desperate to stay in the job, I have no remote prospect of doing so, simply because when my car finally gives up, I cannot replace it. I have thrown a lot of money, probably as much as €25,000 over the past four years, to get myself into and keep myself in a job I loved. At this stage it's good money after bad.

I can make about €200 on a long Saturday night, without a radio. It can take five weekday afternoons or evenings, take your pick, to match that. That's €400 for a week's work. I was earning little more on a radio, and paying €80 a week for the privelege of sitting in a base station watching hours of rubbish television. Enough work for two cars. And six or seven looking for the work. No matter how much I want the job, I cannot survive on that. Getting the clutch, flywheel, and starter motor replaced alone, cost four week's wages!

Everyone says get out, and that's what I'm doing. Dublin is getting the taxi service it asks for. It's such a waste though. It shouldn't need to be like that. Bertie and Ivor were well able to cap taxi licences when it suited them. And the taxi drivers got blamed for lack of taxis. There's no need to bring back the cap, just put in place credible entry requirements, a decent entrance exam, for example. A proactive complaints system too, to weed out the bad drivers.

We are flooding the market now, on a promise of tighter standards in a few years time. It'll be too late. The good men who invested time and effort in decent cars will be gone. Only a fool would invest now in the expense to meet the proposed regulations in 2012. Why weren't the standards brought in straight away, before all the cheap cars landed?

This job has destroyed me, and it will take a few years to get back on a level, and clear all the debt. I have just one question. WHY was this failed policy pursued relentlessly, even when all and sundry could see the effect it was having?

Good post Hyderoad. Sorry it didnt work out for you. I definitely think there should be stricter requirements on taxi plate acquirement. And I do think that raising the prices will make people think twice before getting in to a taxi. In a few years we will all be staying at home at the weekends the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Why do they not want the new fares????

Il tell you,its because it will cost them approx 70euro to get the meter changed every year "i think" 70 euro...:eek:thats why!

And i do not believe for 1 minute that "hyderoad" makes just 400 a week because if he did :rolleyes: he would do 5 nights a week!Or longer hours !
    Nothing but immigrants that dont know A to B are driving taxis now and thats a disgrace alone !:mad:

Ho Hum here we go again......

1. It will actualy cost more like €70 for the new programme and €90 for the seal

2. It's not a payrise, it's an increase in the fare structure

3. If you go and check here you'll see that ( even though it's a low turnout ) that it's only 55% in favour of the increase
    http://s3.zetaboards.com/Irish_Taxis/site/

4.The driver isn't obliged to charge the full meter whack, but he is obliged to spend out the money on getting the meter recalibrated and sealed.
    (As such if I'm forced into spending it don't ask me for a discount in the first week or two while I'm still fuming! you won't get one..)

5. Will people ever get it into their heads that when a taximan talks about money, they should ask if it's nett or gross

6. Will you also try to remember that when you take a taxi, it is in effect a small business that you are doing business with, and the €30 fare you've just paid is TURNOVER not WAGE

7. If you're still not happy, then talk to your TDs, Councilers etc. and ask then why the entire sector ( 40000+ business's at risk ) appears to be in turmoil

Nothing but immigrants that dont know A to B are driving taxis now and thats a disgrace alone !:mad
    And thats just about how it seems to stand, as long as your only complaining about them not knowing A to B and not the fact that they're immigrants

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Spook_ie wrote: »
    4.The driver isn't obliged to charge the full meter whack
    Well, if the meter says he earned X amount, wouldn't he be charged tax on X amount, regardless if he only got Y amount for not charging the full amount?

the_syco wrote: »
    Well, if the meter says he earned X amount, wouldn't he be charged tax on X amount, regardless if he only got Y amount for not charging the full amount?

€64million question that is, In theory you should mark all discounts down on a receipt and give to the customer so you could do the same and keep a receipt for accounting purposes..Though how a receipt with a handwritten discount amount on it would fare in a tax audit is anyones guess..

The drivers knew that this increase was coming,but what have the taxi drivers done about it??......EXACTLY NOTHING!Except winge and then charge the customers.Thats normal for a taxi man to make themselves out to be not earning enough etc but then again this is a good example because the taxi drivers did not go AGAINST the new fare then had a little cry but now are happy because they are robbing the customer!:mad:

8%,who else gets that type of rise in two years???

They earn enough as it is.There is nothing but 08 taxis on the road or 2.5-3.0 litre taxis but then again these are the people who moan constantly about not enough work and blah blah:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

The drivers knew that this increase was coming,but what have the taxi drivers done about it??......EXACTLY NOTHING!Except winge and then charge the customers.Thats normal for a taxi man to make themselves out to be not earning enough etc but then again this is a good example because the taxi drivers did not go AGAINST the new fare then had a little cry but now are happy because they are robbing the customer!:mad:

They earn enough as it is.There is nothing but 08 taxis on the road or 2.5-3.0 litre taxis but then again these are the people who moan constantly about not enough work and blah blah:D

May I ask you this much, which I like to ask of people like you who appear to know this much....

How much do you think that taxi drivers actually EARN? IE, after bills have been paid, road expenses etc have been covered and paid, how much would you actually reckon a taxi driver has earned himself for the year to live, pay the mortgage, feed the family etc ESB etc etc? The ESB has wanted well over 8% seeing as they are fresh in our mind

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/consumers-face-record-30pc-hike--in-esb-bills-1413466.html

Also, I'd love to know where all these 08 reg taxis that you speak off as I see precious few of them on the ranks beside me. I sat on three ranks yesterday evening and can say hand on heart that I saw none of them. I'd guess that it is nowhere near 5% of the current taxi fleet on the roads.

And how do you know if drivers did "nothing" about the fare structure being revised? Did you make an submission to the Regulator about same? On what basis do you feel fares are too high or low, what rates ought they be at?

Hamndegger wrote: »
    May I ask you this much, which I like to ask of people like you who appear to know this much....

How much do you think that taxi drivers actually EARN? IE, after bills have been paid, road expenses etc have been covered and paid, how much would you actually reckon a taxi driver has earned himself for the year to live, pay the mortgage, feed the family etc ESB etc etc? The ESB has wanted well over 8% seeing as they are fresh in our mind

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/consumers-face-record-30pc-hike--in-esb-bills-1413466.html

Also, I'd love to know where all these 08 reg taxis that you speak off as I see precious few of them on the ranks beside me. I sat on three ranks yesterday evening and can say hand on heart that I saw none of them. I'd guess that it is nowhere near 5% of the current taxi fleet on the roads.

And how do you know if drivers did "nothing" about the fare structure being revised? Did you make an submission to the Regulator about same? On what basis do you feel fares are too high or low, what rates ought they be at?
    One example is go to dublin airport and you will see what taxis im talking about.Yous moan but yet drive big engine cars 2.0-3.0 litre..!If they done something about it the regulator would NOT of went ahead with it !Fares are much to high do you not agree??Theres no money to be made but yet you seem to have decent houses,multible holidays,decent cars and you act as if you are poor and struggling !
    Why dont you get another job if there is not enough money :rolleyes: at it????

Id like to ask you,

How much do you think the normal person has left after they pay the bills you talk about???
    At least if you are stuck for money:rolleyes:you can do more hours and get alot more money;)

I shouldn't even dignify you with a reply tv3, but I'll ask you three questions. First, did you bother to read back over the whole thread, and my recent post?

Second, how long do you think is a reasonable wait for a taxi driver between fares, and how many taxis do you think is reasonable to strike a balance between taxi availability and taxi oversupply? If I sit on a rank for an hour or more (assuming I can get onto a rank) I earn an extra 8% of my takings, that's 8% of zero which is zero. Saturday night is the busiest night. On Saturday 18th, I carried three fares in three hours, between the hours of 9pm and 12am having circled and circled for the full three hours, unable to get onto a rank anywhere. I gave up and went home in disgust. That's why I'm getting out of it.

Thirdly, if YOU were a taxi driver (and allowances made that you may not have done it before, and have no experience) and it was, say, Tuesday afternoon, and you were heading out to work for the evening, where would you start, where would you go, where do you think the best place might be to earn a few bob, that about 13,000 other taxis in Dublin wouldn't also go?

Please remember that your answers to these questions will have a direct bearing on your credibility in this argument.

Id like to ask you,

How much do you think the normal person has left after they pay the bills you talk about???
    At least if you are stuck for money:rolleyes:you can do more hours and get alot more money;)

Much like you could go and get another job and work another 40 hours a week, instead of moaning. Of course you could also get yourself a PSV license and join us after all I'm sure you could see yourself driving a nice 08 3.0 Litre motor and being paid loads of mullah for it as well..

BTW Just how long do you think a taxi driver should be allowed to work
    1 As long as they like, after all it's now a deregulated business
    2 They should be limited by law for safety

• Advertisement

One example is go to dublin airport and you will see what taxis im talking about.Yous moan but yet drive big engine cars 2.0-3.0 litre..!If they done something about it the regulator would NOT of went ahead with it !Fares are much to high do you not agree??Theres no money to be made but yet you seem to have decent houses,multible holidays,decent cars and you act as if you are poor and struggling !
    Why dont you get another job if there is not enough money :rolleyes: at it????

Yep, 6 Bedroom detached on 4 acres, villa in Malaga which I go to 4 or 5 times a year, 08 3.0 Chrysler 300 but the darned wife still wants me to send the kids to private schooling so they don't mix with begrudgers and the children of PAYE people... :)

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Yep, 6 Bedroom detached on 4 acres, villa in Malaga which I go to 4 or 5 times a year, 08 3.0 Chrysler 300 but the darned wife still wants me to send the kids to private schooling so they don't mix with begrudgers and the children of PAYE people... :)
    I wouldnt put it past the likes of you !
    Is it part of the psv test ,that you have to be able to winge 24/7???thought so.
    There is not 1 taxi man who will tell you he earns enough but then again taxi men are hungry so they WANT WANT WANT oh and winge !
    Why do you think alot of the public hate taximen???:eek:

HydeRoad wrote: »
    I shouldn't even dignify you with a reply tv3, but I'll ask you three questions. First, did you bother to read back over the whole thread, and my recent post?

Second, how long do you think is a reasonable wait for a taxi driver between fares, and how many taxis do you think is reasonable to strike a balance between taxi availability and taxi oversupply? If I sit on a rank for an hour or more (assuming I can get onto a rank) I earn an extra 8% of my takings, that's 8% of zero which is zero. Saturday night is the busiest night. On Saturday 18th, I carried three fares in three hours, between the hours of 9pm and 12am having circled and circled for the full three hours, unable to get onto a rank anywhere. I gave up and went home in disgust. That's why I'm getting out of it.

Thirdly, if YOU were a taxi driver (and allowances made that you may not have done it before, and have no experience) and it was, say, Tuesday afternoon, and you were heading out to work for the evening, where would you start, where would you go, where do you think the best place might be to earn a few bob, that about 13,000 other taxis in Dublin wouldn't also go?

Please remember that your answers to these questions will have a direct bearing on your credibility in this argument.
    Listen just because you geta job every 10-20 minutes doesnt mean you are not earning enough.The price of yous are a disgrace.Did you ever hear the likes of it when a taxi man says "we didnt want the rise":eek:i bet some of them were charging the nite before;)thats why taximen are hated!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Listen just because you geta job every 10-20 minutes doesnt mean you are not earning enough.The price of yous are a disgrace.Did you ever hear the likes of it when a taxi man says "we didnt want the rise":eek:i bet some of them were charging the nite before;)thats why taximen are hated!

its impossible to charge the night before,
    the software is loaded up prior to the implementation of the increase, and is automatically started at a time set by the regulator, which was midnight.
    the unit is also sealed by a separate company who installs the software, if you dont have the two seals, you cannot pass your nct which i know for a wheelchair taxi is every year.
    also if you do not get the new software put in you cannot pass the nct.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Tv3, do you have a point or are you just looking to wind people up?

It's not unreasonable if you open or contribute to a thread, to at least read and respond to the other contributors.

If you cannot do that, don't expect anyone else to take you seriously.

Try it sometime. Instead of just slagging people off and looking foolish, come up with a logical argument.

Folks, you cannot have a debate with a guy like this...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

they get a 8.9% rise..........who else gets a rise like this?????
    .Did you ever hear the likes of it when a taxi man says "we didnt want the rise":eek:
    They did not get a rise, they are not paid a weekly wage like that. Many would not want the rise since a 8.9% increase in fares could result in a 20% drop in business. I view taxis like a franchise business. AFAIK Abrakebabras are individually owned, franchised out, now if the head office insisted on a 100% price increase I am sure they would be well annoyed, everybody would go to mcdonalds instead. People will get nitelinks, lifts, designated drives etc, especially with the economy the way it is. I expect many might want fares reduced.

rusalka wrote: »
    Yeah, but they don't have to charge it. The regulator sets the maximum amount they can charge, but there is nothing to stop them from refusing to pass on the increase to the customer.
    But once a customer is in the car they are not going to drop it. There was a thread in after hours about people bargaining with taximen. I would not be surprised if firms begin to do this. Have fixed prices for certain destinations and compete against each other. In most countries when you get to an airport you can state your destination and pay there and then, no matter how long it actually takes. I would much prefer an upfront system like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Everyone in the indigenous software industry would have got at least 8% over the past two years, I'd wager. Closer to 12% compounded where I work was the average increase....

The minimum wage also increased by more than 8% over two years - it went up 11%.

I think "damn near everyone" is the answer to your question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

If taxi drivers don't think they're making enough money, they're more than welcome to leave the industry.

Just like anyone else in any other job.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    They did not get a rise, they are not paid a weekly wage like that. Many would not want the rise since a 8.9% increase in fares could result in a 20% drop in business. I view taxis like a franchise business. AFAIK Abrakebabras are individually owned, franchised out, now if the head office insisted on a 100% price increase I am sure they would be well annoyed, everybody would go to mcdonalds instead. People will get nitelinks, lifts, designated drives etc, especially with the economy the way it is. I expect many might want fares reduced.

But once a customer is in the car they are not going to drop it. There was a thread in after hours about people bargaining with taximen. I would not be surprised if firms begin to do this. Have fixed prices for certain destinations and compete against each other. In most countries when you get to an airport you can state your destination and pay there and then, no matter how long it actually takes. I would much prefer an upfront system like that.
    The 8.9% is a rise..:rolleyes:.Its is a cheap business to get into.6k for a business of your own and you can work when you want so whats the problem..??The price of oil etc etc have come down so why would a taximan get a 8.9% rise???Is that greaddy or what !

Advertisement