Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New taxi fare from midnight

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭tv3

HydeRoad wrote: »
    Tv3, do you have a point or are you just looking to wind people up?

It's not unreasonable if you open or contribute to a thread, to at least read and respond to the other contributors.

If you cannot do that, don't expect anyone else to take you seriously.

Try it sometime. Instead of just slagging people off and looking foolish, come up with a logical argument.

Folks, you cannot have a debate with a guy like this...
    If you look through the thread you will see were i answered some of your childish questions !Why did taximen get a 8.9% rise if the price of oil etc has come down???There is not many business who give people a 8.9% rise in two years so its a disgrace!Friends of mine are taximen and there is plenty of work out there.Maybe you want to earn 1000 a week or something but if you are not getting that why dont you do more hours???or get out of it???
    Try answer these 3 questions i put to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

tv3 wrote: »
    If you look through the thread you will see were i answered some of your childish questions !Why did taximen get a 8.9% rise if the price of oil etc has come down???There is not many business who give people a 8.9% rise in two years so its a disgrace!Friends of mine are taximen and there is plenty of work out there.Maybe you want to earn 1000 a week or something but if you are not getting that why dont you do more hours???or get out of it???
    Try answer these 3 questions i put to you.

The fare rise wasn't anything to do with fuel prices going up, was it? While we are all glad that fuel prices have fallen, it is liable to rise sharply coming into the winter season. I should also point out that in some parts of Ireland, the fares are not up to their rates before the 2006 fare revision (Cork springs to mind); these drivers are also losing a lot of business and facing increasing levels of competition in spite of "cheaper" fares.

For your information, inflation for September 2008 is 4.3%; in September 2007 it was 4.6%.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/prices/current/cpi.pdf

In general living terms, this weeks fare rise has just merely kept pace with inflation and it points to the fact that all businesses and services in Ireland's economy have also risen prices as of late.

As it stands, a taxi driver has to earn a certain amount a week just to cover his basic running cost, the same as any business has to. For me or Hyde or Spook to earn this €1k a week, we have to earn enough to cover the costs incurred and then earn more. To give an practical example; if my weekly costs are €120 for car loan, €60 for loan on my plate, €80 for my radio, €20 to allow for servicing car/tyres costs and €120 for fuel and car washing, this is €400 a week before I see a penny of it. Add in some other wee costs (VHI, pension, tax, car and life insurance, NCT, Plate registration, accountant) and that is another €100 to set aside; that is about €500 a week. Ok, some day I will clear the loans or ditch some of the bills or risk no pension but it's still got to be met again some day. €500 a week is €100 a day on a 5 day basis just to stay on the road. To earn €200 a day after that, that means either €300 gross a day or I can do a 6 day week. Or maybe even a 7 day week; take your pick. Earn my €300 at €30 per hour, that's a 50 hour week. Some days it may be better but I assure you that it often isn't.

Lastly, while I don't work picking up from the airport I see few 08 taxis either going into or out of it, same as I see few on the streets. Maybe you are looking at the Car Rental area :rolleyes: I don't know how many of your "friends" are taxi drivers but I think you ought to ask them a few basic questions and listen to their answers as you clearly have no grasp as to even basic bread and butter issues in the trade, good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

If taxi drivers don't think they're making enough money, they're more than welcome to leave the industry.

Just like anyone else in any other job.

If people like tv3 and others think taxis are too expensive then they can always walk or use nitelink/dublin bus instead of coming on here whinging and whining that it's gonna cost them 80c extra on a €10 fare... Oh just a minute I forgot that would pay for the rise on the price of a beer or two...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,792 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is not many business who give people a 8.9% rise in two years so its a disgrace!

Indeed. If I only got 8.9% over two years, I'd walk - its only matching the rate of inflation and well below what I'd get in another job.

Hamndegger wrote: »
    The fare rise wasn't anything to do with fuel prices going up, was it? While we are all glad that fuel prices have fallen, it is liable to rise sharply coming into the winter season. I should also point out that in some parts of Ireland, the fares are not up to their rates before the 2006 fare revision (Cork springs to mind); these drivers are also losing a lot of business and facing increasing levels of competition in spite of "cheaper" fares.

For your information, inflation for September 2008 is 4.3%; in September 2007 it was 4.6%.

http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/prices/current/cpi.pdf

In general living terms, this weeks fare rise has just merely kept pace with inflation and it points to the fact that all businesses and services in Ireland's economy have also risen prices as of late.

As it stands, a taxi driver has to earn a certain amount a week just to cover his basic running cost, the same as any business has to. For me or Hyde or Spook to earn this €1k a week, we have to earn enough to cover the costs incurred and then earn more. To give an practical example; if my weekly costs are €120 for car loan, €60 for loan on my plate, €80 for my radio, €20 to allow for servicing car/tyres costs and €120 for fuel and car washing, this is €400 a week before I see a penny of it. Add in some other wee costs (VHI, pension, tax, car and life insurance, NCT, Plate registration, accountant) and that is another €100 to set aside; that is about €500 a week. Ok, some day I will clear the loans or ditch some of the bills or risk no pension but it's still got to be met again some day. €500 a week is €100 a day on a 5 day basis just to stay on the road. To earn €200 a day after that, that means either €300 gross a day or I can do a 6 day week. Or maybe even a 7 day week; take your pick. Earn my €300 at €30 per hour, that's a 50 hour week. Some days it may be better but I assure you that it often isn't.

Lastly, while I don't work picking up from the airport I see few 08 taxis either going into or out of it, same as I see few on the streets. Maybe you are looking at the Car Rental area :rolleyes: I don't know how many of your "friends" are taxi drivers but I think you ought to ask them a few basic questions and listen to their answers as you clearly have no grasp as to even basic bread and butter issues in the trade, good or bad.
    Why would you be paying a cost of 120 for car loan???60 for plate??80 for radio??and all the other bills you mention:rolleyes:nobody asked you to be a taxi driver but you do no you can do more hours if it is that bad OR you can get a different job why not??;)
    As i said before a taximan will ALWAYS be going on about bills etc etc "like everyone pays bills" even those taximen that are in it YEARS:cool:.
    I wonder why there is now over 40k taxis going around if it is a hard game to survive....?????

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    If people like tv3 and others think taxis are too expensive then they can always walk or use nitelink/dublin bus instead of coming on here whinging and whining that it's gonna cost them 80c extra on a €10 fare... Oh just a minute I forgot that would pay for the rise on the price of a beer or two...:rolleyes:
    Just incase you dont understand this site,IS for talking etc so i am entitled to give my view on taxis !Oh and i rarely use yous because yous are to expensive ;) also that 80c is better in my pocket rather than yours !

Why would you be paying a cost of 120 for car loan???60 for plate??

Because the "free cars for all taxi drivers" fairy ran clean out when I went to get mine:rolleyes:

Because the "free cars for all taxi drivers" fairy ran clean out when I went to get mine:rolleyes:
    Answer this simple question...Why dont you get a different job if there is NOT enough money in it????

Answer this simple question...Why dont you get a different job if there is NOT enough money in it????

Funnily enough, I am ok for money as it is but perhaps that is due to me not having a mortgage, wife and kids to have to pay for; these are the drivers who I respect as they are really feeling the pinch these days. My point to you is the money I take in and the money that I actually earn as a salary are two very very different figures altogether and that I have large expenses to cover before I begin to earn my own money.

Maybe it's time to not waste arguing with you as you don't seem capable of taking anything on board at all.:rolleyes:

Just in case you don't understand this site IS for talking etc. So I am entitled to give my view on taxis !Oh and I rarely use them because they are too expensive ;) also that 80c is better in my pocket rather than yours !

Corrected most of your bad grammar, just to make it more readable..

Anyway at the end of the day whatever you or I say the increase has been written into law and unless a taxidriver is willing to give you a discount you are obliged to pay the FULL metered fare regardless of your view..

• Advertisement

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Corrected most of your bad grammar, just to make it more readable..

Anyway at the end of the day whatever you or I say the increase has been written into law and unless a taxidriver is willing to give you a discount you are obliged to pay the FULL metered fare regardless of your view..
    Thank god i dont use yous !;)
    Id hate to have a job and be hated by most of the public:Dmust be terrible to know that.Anyway you go back to work now or you will be down a few bob but then again "there is no work out there"!:rolleyes:

SPOOK dont be posting here if you cannot answer a question or at least have something useful to say !

Funnily enough, I am ok for money as it is but perhaps that is due to me not having a mortgage, wife and kids to have to pay for; these are the drivers who I respect as they are really feeling the pinch these days. My point to you is the money I take in and the money that I actually earn as a salary are two very very different figures altogether and that I have large expenses to cover before I begin to earn my own money.

Maybe it's time to not waste arguing with you as you don't seem capable of taking anything on board at all.:rolleyes:
    Not having a mortgage...and you are here trying to say taximen are not making money:rolleyes:
    You actually are talking bo*ox:D

Thank god i dont use yous !;)
    Id hate to have a job and be hated by most of the public:Dmust be terrible to know that.Anyway you go back to work now or you will be down a few bob but then again "there is no work out there"!:rolleyes:

SPOOK dont be posting here if you cannot answer a question or at least have something useful to say !

I think, just for once you spoke ( typed ) the truth, Monday night there is no work out there, but then again being a family man, I think my family also have a certain call on some of my time and as such I don't work 24 hours a day, 7 seven days a week . As to being hated and despised that's only by a few misinformed people, the majority know the truth but then yous already know that..

BTW When you are a passenger in my taxi you may direct me to which route you may like to take, when posting on Boards.ie you have no similar right..:D

Not having a mortgage...and you are here trying to say taximen are not making money:rolleyes:
    You actually are talking bo*ox:D

Ever thought that as he isn't married or having kids that he might be living in rented accomodation or even with his Ma an Da...

I bet you are one of the blow in taxi drivers that paid 6k for you plate and have the cheek to even comment on taxis !
    I think before you post again do read the posts prior as they will correct you in the rubbish and stupid "comments" you are writing:rolleyes:

Why would you be paying a cost of 120 for car loan???60 for plate??80 for radio??

Probably because to drive a taxi one assumes that you need a motor, a 2006/7 Avensis would as likely set you back €17-20000, repayments over 3 years ( average time a car is actualy taxied for ) with the BOI around €530-€630 per month, if you don't own a plate ( €6300 to buy ) then you'd need to rent one, radio is optional...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

Spook, you're debating with someone who appears to be an imbecile, or a wind-up merchant. I'd report the thread, but I don't know who to contact, I don't want to waste the mod's time, and it's not worth it.

Most genuine people reading this thread will form their own opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Spook, you're debating with someone who appears to be an imbecile, or a wind-up merchant. I'd report the thread, but I don't know who to contact, I don't want to waste the mod's time, and it's not worth it.

i agree, everyone is trying to justify themselves to an idiot, who doesnt actually listen to the replies,he is making stupid comments which are being answered with basic facts.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Have to agree there, it's more like an AH thread.....sorry Victor I'm just gonna leave him to rant on...

rameire wrote: »
    i agree, everyone is trying to justify themselves to an idiot, who doesnt actually listen to the replies,he is making stupid comments which are being answered with basic facts.
    Yes correct idiot,as i said taximen are making big money and there is plenty of work around providing they look for it instead of being lazy sitting on a rank:rolleyes:FACT
    You should also learn to spell and try to make sense when trying to spell !
    You obvisiously havent a clue or YOU ARE A TAXIMAN YOURSELF more than likely:D

• Advertisement

I gave facts and that is what the thread is about just incase you dont understand...
    Mod just incase this has being reported,just remember it is taximen reporting this so they are right no matter what they say:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Can we keep it polite and on topic please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gabby75

OK a little real figures here. Some of the offensive ill-judged ill-informed comments above are really annoying me. My wife started as a full time taxi driver last February. Total start up costs were in the order of Eu 20000 (Car (02), Meter, Plate, Sign). Since she's started she has done 60000 miles and has repair costs (tyres, punctures, wheel problems) of Eu 1000.

Ongoing costs are Insurance (2000 pa), NCT, Plate Renewal, Fuel, TAx etc. She doesn't want to do nights (nor I would like to see her do them) so she works days, the hardest time to make money as some of the posters have mentioned. She basically works on a target of Eu 100 per day shift and that never takes less the 6 hours sometimes 8 hours. On an hourly basis it goes from 10Eu (worst) to 16Eu (best), and thats before all the running costs are taken into account (she puts 100 away a week to cover yearly costs and diesel is Eu 130 a week)

She'll be lucky to clear 15000-16000 in the year and thats before tax. That's not much better then minimum wage. And still a long way from covering startup costs. When she gives it up we'll have to sell the car as a taxi as you wont sell it any other way, and we'll take a big hit on the costs.

So why does she do it? Because she loves driving, being her own boss and not answering to anyone, and workng the hours that suit her. Why should she be forced out of a business she loves.

I see very few 08 cars on the ranks, and as for big engines, the 3 litre and 3.2 litre diesels are some of the most economical cars on the road, and as such are popular with drivers. Also they provide some comfort to passengers.

We've just got the meter recalibrated and resealed Eu 150, takes a lot of extra 80c on the fare to get that. To suggest this 8.3% is straight into the drivers pocket is nonsense.

She'll probably get out of it next year regardless, as trying to get onto ranks and driving around aimlessly is frustrating, even when you love driving.

Thankfully, we're not relying on her money to pay mortgage and feed a family. I feel for those trying to that in a job they love, but is becoming increasingly pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭HydeRoad

I saw an 08 Mercedes S class taxi the other afternoon, in Molesworth Street. The driver was a very stout, broad jowled gentleman in a crisp light grey suit, collar and tie. That guy was no taxi driver. He looked like the chief executive of a banking corporation, or maybe he was chauffeur to a similarly high ranking person. At least he wasn't part of the reason I sat on the rank in Molesworth Street for 50 minutes before getting a €7.00 fare to Tara Street.

I looked on the web. The cheapest list price I could find for an 08 Mercedes S class was €133,000. That is EIGHT or NINE years' entire salary for gabby75's wife, at her present earnings. How much will that depreciate in eight years? How much would such a car cost to maintain, fuel and run for eight years? €6,300 for access to the city bus lanes is small change to someone like that. The wheels alone probably cost more.

If you could afford a €133,000 car, would you be out on a Saturday night letting drunk people into it? I think not.

I saw an 08 Mercedes S class taxi the other afternoon, in Molesworth Street. The driver was a very stout, broad jowled gentleman in a crisp light grey suit, collar and tie. That guy was no taxi driver. He looked like the chief executive of a banking corporation, or maybe he was chauffeur to a similarly high ranking person. At least he wasn't part of the reason I sat on the rank in Molesworth Street for 50 minutes before getting a €7.00 fare to Tara Street.

I looked on the web. The cheapest list price I could find for an 08 Mercedes S class was €133,000. That is EIGHT or NINE years' entire salary for gabby75's wife, at her present earnings. How much will that depreciate in eight years? How much would such a car cost to maintain, fuel and run for eight years? €6,300 for access to the city bus lanes is small change to someone like that. The wheels alone probably cost more.

If you could afford a €133,000 car, would you be out on a Saturday night letting drunk people into it? I think not.
    Yes as i said in a previous post there is plenty of 2008 and big luxury cars as taxis but as some people said here "they have never seen one":rolleyes:.....prob because they dont be allowed out much:D

That merc i can imagine must be some car to keep her on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I don't wish to antagonise people, but is the 8% figure bandied around an 8% figure across the board or is it 8% to the metered units or 8% to the flagfall fee?

How much would a journey at 9pm with one person in the car who hailed at the roadside, which previously was €10 on the nose, cost under the new structure?

I don't wish to antagonise people, but is the 8% figure bandied around an 8% figure across the board or is it 8% to the metered units or 8% to the flagfall fee?

How much would a journey at 9pm with one person in the car who hailed at the roadside, which previously was €10 on the nose, cost under the new structure?

Hard to answer exactly as it's depending on time and distances taken and time of day when one uses a taxi but overall the fares go up by about 8%, as has the minimum charge to hire a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

But if someone called a taxi to their house, four people got in and drove €5 worth of units, the new fare would be a lot less than 8% more than what it would have been prior to the increase.

But if someone called a taxi to their house, four people got in and drove €5 worth of units, the new fare would be a lot less than 8% more than what it would have been prior to the increase.

True but for now extras are levied at €1 and as such it's hard to raise them by 8%.

• Advertisement

The old premium fare rates were The new rates are

€4.10 initial hire €4.45 initial hire +8.53%
    Tarrif A €1.25 per Km Tarrif A €1.35 per Km +8%
    Tarrif B €1.45 per Km Tarrif B €1.57 per Km +8.27%
    Tarrif C €1.63 per Km Tarrif C €1.77 per Km +8.58%

As there was no change to the extras then 4 people traveling a specified distance would be subject to less than 8%

old rate 4 people 1km 4.10 + 3.00 =€7.10
    new rate 4 people 1Km 4.45 + 3.00 =€7.45

an increase of 4.92% I was going to try and do you a figure for a distance exceeding the initial 1km but I can't find the figures it was based on, the new rate is a 20c fare unit per 148.1 meters

details here http://www.taxiregulator.ie/files/publications/Technical%20guidelines%20-%20250908.pdf

Advertisement