Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me pick website name

Options
  • 31-10-2008 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Ok I'm in the final stages with my web site and I'm stuck between a few names.

The web site is for gaming tournaments that we hold ourselves, but also a social hub for anybody else to submit their gaming tournaments/LANs/get togethers etc.

It's not a gaming news or reviews or any of that jazz web site. Just simply a place to put info on tournaments and lans. We're implementing social networking into the site early next year to help gamers find one another to set up their own lans etc too.

So with all the in mind, please pick the name you would think suits this web site the best.

Thanks to all that give a vote.

Best web site name 13 votes

gameon.ie
    0%
    localplay.ie
    92%
    Rev Hellfiresuper_furryRabiesRobertFosterZillahmayordenisCianosThe GnomeseraphimvcL31mr0drvd156jetski 12 votes
    multiplay.ie
    7%
    Fnz 1 vote
    gamernetwork.ie
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Unfortunately that great domain name is taken :(

heh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

localplay.ie
    How about tourn.ie?

If I had to pick from the four above, I'd say gameon.ie, purely from the "GAME ON!" type logo you could create.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

localplay.ie
    *yoink* I've just registered all those domain names in my name, if you want to use them yourself you'll have to buy them off me for €50,000 each.

pwnt

seriously though, don't trust the internet, you shouldn't post domain names you want that you haven't yet registered. The only one I see there that is currently registered is gameon.ie.

How about tourn.ie?

If I had to pick from the four above, I'd say gameon.ie, purely from the "GAME ON!" type logo you could create.

That suggestion is a great idea mate. The only problem I'd have with it is explaining to average people. I want a site that has clear and indisputable spelling. I'm dealing a lot with football teams and their secretaries organizing pro evo tournaments so they aren't well clued into the gaming scene. So the simpler the web site name the better really. So thats why each one I've gone for is simply two short words so I wouldn't be required to spell it a hundred times a day over the phone.

But that name is defo a great idea for a more hardcore gaming site.

• Advertisement

L31mr0d wrote: »
    *yoink* I've just registered all those domain names in my name, if you want to use them yourself you'll have to buy them off me for €50,000 each.

pwnt

seriously though, don't trust the internet, you shouldn't post domain names you want that you haven't yet registered. The only one I see there that is currently registered is gameon.ie.

Yea you're right. I should have done a proper check on all the names but I just tried to go to them in my browser. There is no web site for gameon.ie but it's registered by somebody.

But also if somebody was willin to spend the 20 yoyos just to screw me over I'd be impressed heh. There's hundreds of two word combos to choose from so I don't think I'd be pushed into buyin it from them heh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

localplay.ie
    koHd wrote: »
    Yea you're right. I should have done a proper check on all the names but I just tried to go to them in my browser. There is no web site for gameon.ie but it's registered by somebody.

But also if somebody was willin to spend the 20 yoyos just to screw me over I'd be impressed heh. There's hundreds of two word combos to choose from so I don't think I'd be pushed into buyin it from them heh :)

I remember there was a site that allowed you to search for availability of a domain name, but the catch was that if the site found the domain you wanted was unavailable that it would immediately register it and then ask you to pay to buy it off them.

Eventually someone wrote a script that spammed the site so it was continually registering rubbish names that nobody wanted.

Anyway, don't really like any of those names too much. They seem to generic imo. A domain name should have something unique about it.

i.e. google, twitter, flickr, bebo, wikipedia

All of these can only be associated with one thing.

Something like... well the Irish for game is "cluiche", so you could name the site "Klooiche.ie" or something like that. Something unique and web 2.0'y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

gamernetwork.ie works with the idea you described and is intuitive which will make it easier to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭jetski

localplay.ie
    Gameon.ie

Easiest to remember and also relevant to what your actually doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

TheGameSite.eu seems to be available if it's of any interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement