Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Warning bell won't stop

Options
  • 31-10-2008 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hey,
    Any advice?
    I turned off my car this morning, no lights on, nothing left on, got out locked the door and noticed the inside light didn't turn off as it automatically does. So unlocked the car & noticed the warning buzzer for my headlights was going off. My lights were off so I dunno what was causing this & thought maybe its the inside light (although this normally doesnt set the bell off) I turned off the light manually & it still was buzzing. So I turned the car on again put everything on & off & it still was buzzing. What was really weird was the buzzer/bell still continued to go off when I had the engine running- this never happened before and I'm sure shouldn't happen (it would get very annoying when driving :) )
    As I had to get to work I just left it, locked the car & headed off- pretty sure I'll have no battery later! (don't worry you can't here the bell from outside the car so I wont be disturbing the peace)!
    Its a 98 micra.
    Any ideas how I can stop the bell? or whats causing it??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I'm not sure about the micra, but on my car (golf) if the indicators aren't canceled and engine turned off, the "tick-tock" will stop, but once the door is open I get the usual warning buzzing/beeping. It took me ages to realise that it was the indicators and not a fault with the headlights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

noblestee wrote: »
    I'm not sure about the micra, but on my car (golf) if the indicators aren't canceled and engine turned off, the "tick-tock" will stop, but once the door is open I get the usual warning buzzing/beeping. It took me ages to realise that it was the indicators and not a fault with the headlights.

Be careful with this as on the Golf if you leave either side indicator on and exit the car it will leave the parking light and rear light on that side of the car and you will drain the battery, that's why the warning buzzer comes on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

It's your door switch.

The switch connects to the chassis when you open the door and disconnects when you close it.

It may be just loose or the wire may be pinched somewhere and in contact with the chassis.

edit: make sure all other doors are fully shut as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Milo98

SteveC wrote: »
    It's your door switch.

The switch connects to the chassis when you open the door and disconnects when you close it.

It may be just loose or the wire may be pinched somewhere and in contact with the chassis.

edit: make sure all other doors are fully shut as well.

Thanks I'll check this. Its still going off when the door is closed though could this still happen if its the door switch?
    All doors are closed properly- the central locking is a bit tempermental so this switch thing sounds like it could be connected to both & could be pinched or something as you describe. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Milo98 wrote: »
    Thanks I'll check this. Its still going off when the door is closed though could this still happen if its the door switch?

I presume you mean the bell still rings and the courtesy light stays on when you close the door?

Then it's most likely the door switch.

Press it with your finger and see if the courtesy comes on and odd as it should.

• Advertisement

SteveC wrote: »
    I presume you mean the bell still rings and the courtesy light stays on when you close the door?

Then it's most likely the door switch.

Press it with your finger and see if the courtesy comes on and odd as it should.

I turned off the courtesy light manually so its not on at all. But when the door is closed the bell is still ringing/going off. Even when I start the engine. And drive off- its still ringing! I've left the car at the bus stop so wont get to check till home later- this might sound silly will the door switch be very obvious to be to find? to be able to do the press with finger test? (i'm not a very mechanical/engine savy girl :) )
    Ah maybe the battery will be flat by then & when I jump the car the bell won't come back on so problem solved :) although I would like to know what caused it to stop it happening again

I'm guessing it's still ringing because the car thinks the door is open.

The switch is probably on the door frame somewhere on the pillar (normally towards the bottom corner or near the lock receiver.

It looks like a little plunger that the door presses in when it closes, sometimes covered in a rubber sleeve.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

that doesn't add up, the warning chime shouldn't come on unless the keys are left in or the lights are on.

my theory: faulty door switch and rear foglight switch left on. if car thinks the door is open, then interior lights would stay on and remote central locking would unlock (and flash indicators) bit not lock.

edit: is the rear foglight switch on the indicator stalk or a button on the dash? is it possible to leave it in the on position with the lights turned off?

Thanks for the feedback & suggestions/advice. As i said originally no lights were left on at all (including indicators or fog lights- I'm not very motor savy but I did check all these first!)
    It wasn't the door switch. It looks like it was just a faulty warning bell- they only way to stop it was to disconnect the battery & reconnect it & it stopped staight away. The bell is now working correctly & only soounding when headlights left on but car turned off & keys out of ignition as its supposed too. Its a ten year old car so little things like this are to be expected really.
    Thanks for the help though! :)

Milo98 wrote: »
    ..........got out locked the door and noticed the inside light didn't turn off as it automatically does.
    Did it fix that as well?

• Advertisement

Yeap & the central locking isn't acting up anymore (well at the moment anyway) !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Sounds like the central locking, interior light, alarm buzzer, and probably a bunch of other stuff are controlled by a central computer of some sort that got 'confused' for some reason, and disconnecting the battery rebooted the whole thing.
    The issue may never come back, or it may plague you regularly; with a bit of luck, it'll be the former. :D

OK - glad you got it sorted. :)

Advertisement