Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Leaking grease on windscreen

Options
  • 31-10-2008 10:33am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Was driving to work this morning and got hit by a load of rain, I engaged the wipers and water jets to clear only to discover that there was a load of grease spraying out of the jets. I narrowly avoided a serious crash, I've never heard of this happening before.

I recently had my oil changed and some "eiretyres.com" tyres fitted by a local quickfit and after this I pulled into a garage and rechecked the tyres/wheels and filled the water/screen wash etc.

When adding the water I noticed a load of green/yellow grease at the very top of the hose part and took it out immediately, now im not a mechanic or anything but anyone know what would cause that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

I think it's unlikely that the windscreen washer pump would be able to force grease through the washer jets, it's more likely to be oil or other fluid. Sounds like somebody added engine oil, brake fluid, or possibly hydraulic fluid (power steering fluid) to the washer bottle inadvertently.

If so, make sure you clean it off paintwork as brake/hydraulic fluid can strip paint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Would brake fluid be green/yellow in colour, the fluid was very greasy looking when I took it out of the hose. Wasn’t pleasant smelling either, it was greasy/oilly as it wasnt mixing with the water, any ideas how to get my windscreen back, cant drive it as its smearing. I heard coke will clear the grease fairly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Limerick Bandit

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Would brake fluid be green/yellow in colour.

break fluid is a little like cooking oil in color, chances are its probably anti freeze put into the wrong bottle if you can get to a garage and refill the wiper washer bottle again and leave it over flow for a good 10 minutes this should clear whats in the bottle, there will still be some in the lines so cover the jets with rags so it doesn't get on your windscreen again and put on the washers for a minute to clear the lines

LB

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Sounds nasty.

If you have some white spirit, use this to clean the windscreen and any paintwork - if not, try some washing-up liquid and lots of water.

SteveC wrote: »
    Sounds nasty.

If you have some white spirit, use this to clean the windscreen and any paintwork - if not, try some washing-up liquid and lots of water.

Dont listen to this person!!!!!!!!!!

white spirit's is for removing paint and will destroy your paint work!

to clean your windscreen try vinegar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

white spirit's is for removing paint and will destroy your paint work!
    ????
    Eh, no it won't - it will remove the grease without harming paint.

Use acetone or cellulose thinner to remove paint.

SteveC wrote: »
    ????
    Eh, no it won't - it will remove the grease without harming paint.

Use acetone or cellulose thinner to remove paint.

Why do people use it to clean paint brushes? because it removes paint!
    End of

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Just bring it back to the twit who did the top ups in the first place. Tell him to mend his mistakes.

End of
    You can clean brushes with water for certain types of paint (there is more than one type you know).

Automotive paint is not affected by white spirit unless you recently repainted your car with B&Q's best gloss.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

End of

White Spirit, as a degreasing solvent, thins wet oil based paints, allowing the paint to flow easier from the bristles of the brush, thus cleaning them. It won't clean acrylic or water based paint from brushes. Nor will it disolve already dried oil based paint. So it's not correct to just say that it "removes paint."

That said, I don't know what effect it could have on car paint or laquers, so I'd be very careful about using it on a car.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

lads, I went up to a garage and ran the water through the bottle for about 10 mins as advised, and got the grease off the screen with some newspaper.. refilled bottle with boiling water and some washing up liquid and emptied via sprayer again and refiled with washer fluid. Looks fine now.

Thanks for the advice.. Happy Halloween...still in a bit of shock to say the least.

Cool, glad you got it sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

Don't forget to go back to the garage and let them know what muppets they are employing to work on customers cars!

JJJJNR wrote: »
    lads, I went up to a garage and ran the water through the bottle for about 10 mins as advised, and got the grease off the screen with some newspaper.. refilled bottle with boiling water and some washing up liquid and emptied via sprayer again and refiled with washer fluid. Looks fine now.

Thanks for the advice.. Happy Halloween...still in a bit of shock to say the least.

Happy to help :)

Pete67 wrote: »
    Don't forget to go back to the garage and let them know what muppets they are employing to work on customers cars!

It looks like the garage that JJJJNR filled the water tank in is the problem but still check this stuff before you use it, if it was your own gear you would check it first.

you dont know where it happened, but now you know how to sort it :)

Advertisement