Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3 - Reducing Weekend News

Options
  • 31-10-2008 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

I see starting from this weekend, TV3 are reducing all their news bulletins on the weekend.

On Saturday - the news is on for 5 minutes from 5.30-5.35pm, and on Sunday 5.15-5.20pm. And this isn't exactly done due to other programmes, as TV3 just have Kid Nation, and a repeat of All Star Mr & Mrs on Saturday afterwards.

I also see they have moved the Political Party to Fridays at 11.10, and the Week In Review which has been on every week since 1998 has been removed.

How they'll fit the news, sport and weather in 5 mins is gonna be wierd. Maybe there's not an "appetite" for weekend news, or maybe TV3 are trying to cut corners here, hoping people wouldn't notice.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭bookiebasher

everyone is in trouble...loads of firms making cuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

First thing to say is no-one watches TV3 for the news, second thing is that while I imagine the BCI should have a view on this, they won't have.

Mike

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Well haven't all the regional ITV franchises been allowed to cut back on local content? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

TV3 is really going down the tubes with its weekend content. On Saturday nights there is 4 hours of the bloody X-Factor which is repeated on Sunday morning along with 2 hours of Americal Idol. Thats 10 hours over 2 days of reality tripe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

What? TV3 has a news service. Must have missed that one.
    I'd have just given Halligan the chop altogether, she hasn't a clue god bless her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Aidric wrote: »
    I'd have just given Halligan the chop altogether, she hasn't a clue god bless her.

Well she has solved rather a lot of murders on her days off so she can't be totally clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

gazzer wrote: »
    TV3 is really going down the tubes with its weekend content. On Saturday nights there is 4 hours of the bloody X-Factor which is repeated on Sunday morning along with 2 hours of Americal Idol. Thats 10 hours over 2 days of reality tripe.

Weekend TV on TV3:
    Reality TV's - 2 hours of American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Top Chef, Hell's Kitchen USA, Kid Nation, Crowned.

And ITV's - All Star Mr&Mrs, X Factor, 3 hours of Coronation Street, Heartbeat, Britannia High.

And TV3 - Em . . . . The Best of Ireland AM is shown THREE times, and the All Ireland County Quiz.

Wow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

mike65 wrote: »
    First thing to say is no-one watches TV3 for the news, second thing is that while I imagine the BCI should have a view on this, they won't have.

Mike

Yup - If the BCI had any cojones they would come down on them like a ton of bricks.

You would have to question the rationale behind TV3/Channel 6's existence
    at this stage.

In the current form you could make a very strong case for getting rid of at least one of them, if not both.

Possibly the only positive about them is that they make RTE/Network 2 look halfway passable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Robbo wrote: »
    Well haven't all the regional ITV franchises been allowed to cut back on local content? :)

:D - nice one!

Advertisement