Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What I need to buy and do to prepare for new kitten?

• 31-10-2008 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We are hoping to get our first pet, a kitten, in the next few weeks. I was looking at the Care sheet above but don't see one for cats/kittens. Can someone guide me to somewhere or give me some advice on what to buy and also how to settle it in for the first few days or weeks?
    I have a fair idea on what to buy. Will get a litter tray, litter, kitten food, a comfy bed and a travel box to get it home. And will bring to vet to get checked over soon after it comes to live with us. Anything else I should buy?
    Can you recommend a kitten food brand?
    Also, what age should it be to get neutered?
    I will also be picking it out from a litter of kittens. Do people recommend a male or female?
    We plan on keeping it as an indoor cat.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

Hi!

I have never owned a cat myself so I'll leave the advice to people who I'm sure will be able to answer your questions much better than I can! But I just wanted to wish you all the best of luck with your new kitty (or kittens, possibly? I'm sure you'll get at least one suggestion to get a pair). And its so nice to see someone trying to make sure they are as prepared as they can be before going to pick up a new pet :)

Oh and be sure to come back to us with piccies when you do bring him/her home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The photos are non-negotiable! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

(or kittens, possibly? I'm sure you'll get at least one suggestion to get a pair).

Yes, I am one of those (sorry!!) :o I'm probably getting boring at this stage about this, but yesss get two!! I know it's twice the food and twice the vaccinations/vet bills etc. But two together are sooooo much fun!!!!!! Just to see them playing together can be hilarious.
    I also find that I don't feel too guilty if I have to work late or have to go away overnight, cos I know they have each other for company.

Apart from that - you seem to have most of it covered. Get some toys as well (although mine at the moment seem to love playing with a single piece of their food!!!!) I use the Hills Kitten, it's expensive but they seem to be thriving on it and their coats are just gorgeous, real glossy.

Oh, one last thing - if it's indoor, get a covered litter tray!! I just got one in Argos last weekend for €19.99 and it's like a little miracle!!! No more stinky poo smell when they are 'going' and no more litter scraped out all over the floor!!!!!!
    Neutering is 4-6 months I think. Mine were €92 each for spay, I think boys are cheaper!!

Best of luck with your new pet, it's going to bring u so much fun and joy :)
    And yes - pics are compulsory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

If you're getting kittens, get two - that way, they won't be bored and take your place apart ;-0

You'll also need cat litter, some bedding, and good cat food - I use Hills Science Plan - but only if they're already used to dry food. Check with a vet otherwise. Get some toys as well - anything 'on a stick' will provide hours of entertainment.

Also, make sure that the kitten is healthy and get it vaccinated.

As far as I know, you can spay females at 6 months, males around 9 months (I think - check with your vet).

Other than that - enjoy! (one tip for the beginning: move everything that can fall down and break away for a while - I found myself cleaning potplants off the floor quite a few times before I copped on).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Lexie_Karas

I know when I decided I was getting a ferret everyone said get two... I wasn't sure at first.. I was worried I'd be taking on too much but I was soon convinced and I'm soo glad I was. I don't need to worry about them when I'm at work and they always have some one to play with... there are some games that I'm just not small enough for lol! I could try and try but I'd never fit through a ferret tunnel for a game of chasing! I'm sure its much the same with cats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

I did think about getting two but I'm working from home all day anyway so its unlikely to get lonely I would think.
    I kinda think two might be one too many and they'd end up ruling the household!
    Is there any difference between male and female once their neutered?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭GeturGun

Dunno what females are like [yet] as my 2 are only just neutered, but my parents have a male that was neutered and he is the most placid, cuddlesome thing ever!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

Make sure the kitten is wormed and de-flead regularly, best thing is to get the tablets/spray from the vets.They'll also advise you about neutering. I think its about 5months but i'm open to correction.

Mirochipping is popular too, I know you intend to keep it indoors but if s/he got out it could be the thing that helps you get him/her back.

You might want to consider pet insurance, i think its about 8euro a month for a cat.

You could ask the people you are getting the kitten from whats s/he is currently being fed and then gradually introduce whatever brand you want to use as if you change abruptly it can give them the runs. Also don't give them milk.

definitely get a scratching post otherwise they'll use the furniture. Toy's wise they love things they can chase and bat with their paws. Mine loves a little wind up mouse, a ball with a bell inside and anything on a stick. Even something as simple as a big paper bag will give them hours of fun.

Most importantly just enjoy him/her. They truely are great companions and you get back ten times what you put in to them. Best of luck and don't forget the pics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Everything you've listed, plus a scratching post or two, a bag of pingpong balls and a couple of tiny toy mice - not the wind-up kind, just a fabric mouse the size of your thumb. The pingpongs and the mice are for playing with, the scratching posts are vital to save your furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Sesame wrote: »
    I kinda think two might be one too many and they'd end up ruling the household!

It can actually work out being the other way around. A single cat, especially indoors, can require a lot of time and energy to keep entertained. You're alot less likely to have behavioural issues with two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭lily4

I don't think there's any real need to get two kittens.

As pointed out earlier it is twice the price for vet bills, spaying/ neutering, microchipping etc - none of which are cheap.

Also cats aren't pack animals , they live quite happily in one cat households. Often cats that live with other cats co-exist happily but don't actually interact with each other that much !

Getting a new pet is such an exciting time, keep us posted and definitely put up some pics !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Re neutering...girls at 5 months and boys at 6 months.
    If one googles indoor cats and books you may find one that may help you with keeping an indoor cat entertained.

good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Sesame

Thanks for all the tips!
    It will be a while before I get my hands on it as the litter was only born on Halloween!
    Went to see them yesterday.
    There was 3, one is very black, one is almost charcoal and one grey and white. I've picked out the grey and white one. Not able to tell if it is a boy or girl yet. They are adorable.
    Can't wait to bring it home.
    Will get to post a pic mid-December I hope!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Sesame wrote: »
    I did think about getting two but I'm working from home all day anyway so its unlikely to get lonely I would think.

Thats all the more reason to get 2! :D They'll run off around after each other then fall asleep letting you get on and do your work.

I was going to get one but got 2 in the end and have to say there the easiest pets to look after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

I can't add anything else you'll need as everyone already has it covered!:)

Just to say, whilst I rehome adult cats on their own, I tend to rehome kittens in pairs if at all possible. It cuts down on behavioural issues,(which can end up costing more than the extra vac, neuter etc) they tend to amuse each other & are generally more fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

GeturGun wrote: »
    Mine were €92 each for spay, I think boys are cheaper!!

approx €20/cat neuter in the UCD Vet Hospital if you want to save some cash! ;)

Advertisement