Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Russel Brand Carrott

Options
  • 31-10-2008 11:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

This is mainly directed at Phantom but all opinions welcome.

The background is the attention that Russel Brand is getting on Pure Mornings.
    They are willing him to come to Phantom.

My opinion of Russel Brand is lass than favorable, I'm not talking about any of the Bull that's in the papers and even prime time! I did not like him before this simply because he has no sole. He's in for the quick irrelevant joke...nothing worth listening to.

Phantom on the other hand I see as Pure and Soul rich. That's the reason I listen 8 hours per day. Maybe I'm working but I think a lot of Phantom listeners would feel the same....

I've adapted to Peetless mornings and Edel has been replaced very well but this....Confused listener.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baby love

egan007 wrote: »
    This is mainly directed at Phantom but all opinions welcome.

The background is the attention that Russel Brand is getting on Pure Mornings.
    They are willing him to come to Phantom.

My opinion of Russel Brand is lass than favorable, I'm not talking about any of the Bull that's in the papers and even prime time! I did not like him before this simply because he has no sole. He's in for the quick irrelevant joke...nothing worth listening to.

Phantom on the other hand I see as Pure and Soul rich. That's the reason I listen 8 hours per day. Maybe I'm working but I think a lot of Phantom listeners would feel the same....

I've adapted to Peetless mornings and Edel has been replaced very well but this....Confused listener.....

To ignore what has been THE biggest issue resounding across every airwave this week would be trite to say the least. The lads were merely reflecting what the other half of our democratic liberal nation believes.

While you are fully entitled to your option of Brand, to say he has no place or reference on Phantom is ridiculous! There are plenty of DJs who I choose not to listen to - and that's what Phantom is all about, offering choice and something different!

Had you listened to Brand's excellent radio shows you would know that much of the music he played was Phantom-esque favourites. And if you're talking soul, well Brand lives and breaths the rock n roll ideology (and had been pre-famous days) while the rest of us are mere armchair observers/listeners.

Outside of events this week (and I do think it was a joke too far), I think his work in general stands for individuality, dynamism and outside the mainstream- surely the epitome of the Phantom brand! So let the Pure Morning DJs have their say - it's nice to get a breather from the repetitive playlists once in a while! Btw, no offence but I am not surpirsed you are confused - if I was listening to radio 8 hours a day, I'd be glad to know what day it was, let alone what should be on Phantom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

baby love wrote: »
    well Brand lives and breaths the rock n roll ideology (and had been pre-famous days) while the rest of us are mere armchair observers/listeners.

Now that IS trite ! He's an asshole ex-junkie, he does not live and breath the rock n roll idealogy, end of. If you think that he does you should hang around Parnell Square a few hours, you'll love it
    Yeah, it has been a big story lately, (although I fail to see why a UK-centric story is getting so much coverage in Ireland), and therefore I suppose does deserve a mention. But a mention is just that, the way the 2 lads were going on over it was a bit OTT and I also found it tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

egan007 wrote: »
    I did not like him before this simply because he has no sole.
    He may have no sole but he has a couple of red herrings...

sorry to be going off topic on this, i just couldn't leave a good pun opportunity hanging in mid air...
    personally i wouldn't be too pushed to listen to Russell Brand on Phantom... I mean i'm sure he would generate a pretty big audience alright, raise the Phantom profile and what not.. like for every listener that's tuned into phantom from the beginning whose reasons for tuning in are gradually diminishing, there's 10 other new listeners to replace them so nobody loses out i guess

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I was not a fan of Russel Brand until I listened to his radio shows, which were absolutely excellent. In my opinion they were the best thing on radio and I looked forward to them each and every week. I would urge anyone, whether you like Brand or not to seek them out and give them a listen, you may well be surprised.

Hes a lot more relaxed on the radio and comes across as a down to earth, intelligent and very funny guy. I cant wait for another station to pick up his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 baby love

Jip wrote: »
    Yeah, it has been a big story lately, (although I fail to see why a UK-centric story is getting so much coverage in Ireland), and therefore I suppose does deserve a mention. But a mention is just that, the way the 2 lads were going on over it was a bit OTT and I also found it tiresome.

It wasn't just a UK-centric issue. Online radio has no boundaires and a huge number of us who listened to Brand regularly (and thus understood the context of comments/know it's no different to the trash in the Sunday tabloids) were interested to get the Phantom lads view.

Their response actually pioneered the format a number of TV shows have taken (to events) this week albeit the TV shows were a week out of date (if you watched the excellent Buzzcocks and 8 out of 10 cats, you'll know what i mean!)
    .. and it was a nice change from the media hysteria, reflecting the light hearted side, which showed events for what they were! I for one nearly pi**ed myself when I heard the two Richie's/Doherty take on their ode to the Brand saga... singing Djs - now that's a Phantom first!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Hmm, wasn't the rumour first that Brand would come over to the new i105-107?

(incidentally, you can hear their test broadcast on 104.7FM in Dublin...)

Advertisement