Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

natural slates from China?

• 31-10-2008 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone imported natural slates from China? I am not sure if I can mention the company name but I have found what appears to be a good source....and cheap. They have passed both ASTM & BS680 standards. They have numerous styles, but I quite like the look of the West Country, a nice looking blue/black slate:-

West Country Roofing Slate

400x250x8-12mm USD 0.6597/pc
    400x200x8-12mm USD 0.4776/pc
    300x200x8-12mm USD 0.3403/pc

I am asking if they can send me a sample of each size, so will take it from there. But just wondered has anyone else tried Chinese natural slate? If so, how did you find the process of importing? Quality etc?

Thanks
    Adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Slates

anoble66 wrote: »
    Hi,

Has anyone imported natural slates from China? I am not sure if I can mention the company name but I have found what appears to be a good source....and cheap. They have passed both ASTM & BS680 standards. They have numerous styles, but I quite like the look of the West Country, a nice looking blue/black slate:-

West Country Roofing Slate

400x250x8-12mm USD 0.6597/pc
    400x200x8-12mm USD 0.4776/pc
    300x200x8-12mm USD 0.3403/pc

I am asking if they can send me a sample of each size, so will take it from there. But just wondered has anyone else tried Chinese natural slate? If so, how did you find the process of importing? Quality etc?

Thanks
    Adam
    Do not touch Chinese with a barge poll ! They are cheep for a reason...........rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

import these at your "peril" this issue was discussed at some length
    on the diy site (do a search)

i was very interested in them aswell until i heard of a newbuild that turned into a complete disaster with chinese slate
    slates were very brittle - huge wastage & a whole load of them discoloured and turned pure white after a few months
    and he basically got no satisfaction

if they are willing to send you samples and you test them (god knows how)
    and if you're happy to chance it well go for it, but i wouldn't touch them

Slates wrote: »
    Do not touch Chinese with a barge poll ! They are cheep for a reason...........rubbish

I agree 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

hmm ok....not the answer i was hoping for but thanks for the honest advice. I wonder though, the people that brought in crap Chinese slates were they actually quality passed....these ones carry the British & European quality standard etc.....surely they could not have this if they are brittle and dis-color etc?

Anyway, I will do a search in the DIY section

Thanks all

really you should have a talk with your roofer and see what they recommend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

anoble66 wrote: »
    hmm ok....not the answer i was hoping for but thanks for the honest advice. I wonder though, the people that brought in crap Chinese slates were they actually quality passed....these ones carry the British & European quality standard etc.....surely they could not have this if they are brittle and dis-color etc?

Anyway, I will do a search in the DIY section

Thanks all

Not in any way judging, but, Chinese goods are frequently found to be marked with Quality symbols that they aren't entitled to use.

Its always worth checking with the certfying bodies registry if you have doubts.

Advertisement