Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain name issue

Options
  • 31-10-2008 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

I have two domains.

Domain X is hosted with a provider in the states.

Domain Y was registered with a company in the UK.

Domain Y is set up using web forwarding to point to a directory on Domain X's web site.

Although this works, the domain name for X pops up in the status bar of the web browser when a user accesses domain Y.

Ideally, what I'd like to do is to have the internic ip be the same for both domain X and Y. Is this possible/allowed?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep.

Web forwarding basically tells the browser, "The content you're looking for isn't here, but I can tell you where it is".

If you change the DNS record for that url, you can use a CNAME (alias) for the url instead of forwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Thanks for that Seamus.

To further complicate matters, I'd like it that if someone accesses domain X, they get the default static html page and if someone accesses domain Y they get the vbulletin instance that I've set up.

I somehow think that it's impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's definitely not impossible.

I would personally do this using virtual hosts, but there are a number of other ways of doing it, such as a using mod_rewrite, or even a simple PHP redirect in the base file of the vBulletin instance.

Advertisement