Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc Gamers, Do You pirate Your games?

Options
  • 31-10-2008 12:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

This poll is for Pc gamers only.

I admit I pirate most games to try them out, if I enjoy them I buy them to support the developer. Please answer truthfully.

Edit: please tell me if You any of the options above should be edited in any way and could someone else start a similar poll for consoles (I'm not a console owner, it doesn't interest me)

PC Gamers, Do You pirate Your games? 168 votes

No, Never
    0% 0 votes
    Sometimes
    41% 69 votes
    Always
    58% 99 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

No I don't, but most of the PC games I play are online games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I admit I pirate most games to try them out, if I enjoy them I buy them to support the developer. Please answer truthfully.
    I totally get where you're coming from, if only you could get a demonstration version to let you 'test' the game.

As for the question I don't pirate games for two main reasons,
    a) I'm keen to avoid nasties sneaking in on my machine and
    b) I've a limited amount of time so really only get games I really want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Mr Bloat

I used to do it a lot for the pc. Also had a chipped (original) Xbox and used to pirate games for that too. I found that, because I was able to get everything I wanted for both of them, I had no mass in any of the games I was playing and didn't enjoy them at all. I would only play them for a short while and the slightest thing would make me cast it away for something newer. I should have been in gaming heaven but I wasn't enjoying it at all.

Now I have a non-chipped 360 and I buy all my console and pc games. I still pirate some pc games but I (and I know loads of people say this) honestly go and buy them if they are good. For instance, I got Fallout 3 on bittorrent a few days ago but will be buying it today. I rent the console games for a night to decide if they are any good and if they are, I buy them. If I could rent a pc game for a night instead of downloading it to try it, I would.

So there's a cautionary tale for you, kids. Too much of anything is bad, as they say! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I used to pirate all my games in college. I'd say it was because i didnt have any money, and couldnt afford to buy them, but that was just a convienent excuse. In the last two years or so though, i have stopped pirating any decent games. I like to support the decelopers now, and as i have money, there is no decent reason not to buy them. I downloaded Fallout 3 earlier in the week and after loving it. decided it was worth buying. Just back from town with Fallout 3 and Red Alert 3. See you all next week :pac:

I did pirate Space Siege, and was damn glad i hadnt wasted my money on it though :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I pirate ALL my games. Being a poor college student, costs have to be cut back.

Plus, 2MB/sec. download speed in college, can't resist that...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

When I started PC gaming, back in the early 90's, I pirated games. Then I grew up, realised I was stealing and since have purchased everything. Mostly do online games now so it's not an issue but I wouldn't even even consider it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

yarrrrrrr pirates

29781951_f5daf97af9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭uglyjohn

im the same as most people it seems, i used to pirate a bit in college due to fast download speeds and because it was so easy.

now im living at home again and working so i can afford to buy games. i wouldnt bother pirating and only buy games if i can justify the cost vs expected hours of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I still think labeling it piracy was the worst thing they could of done. They should of called it something like "Coward Theft" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

I try my best not to pirate anymore, but there are a few occasions it seems almost necessary. Take Fallout 3: I'm in love with the first two, and will probably buy F3 as well, but first I want to see how it runs on my pc. And since they won't release a demo I'll have to get it off the net before I reach for my wallet. If you could return pc games I wouldn't have to do this. Also, there is the securom thing, which I don't allow on my comp, and it happened before that I bought a game and subsequently downloaded the drm-free version. Just my 2c.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Wow, Interesting, less than 20% of people in this poll never pirate :eek: I expected much higher (maybe its too early in the poll tho)

BTW, The demo of Tomb Raider Underground is out on pc today, I'll probably try this as I don't expect to like the full game, but this gives me a way of trying it on my system to see how it runs/looks (and perv a bit over Lara:D).
    I downloaded the Beta of COD-WAW and I can tell You now I won't be buying it or pirating the full release. I feel this is the best way developers can combat piracy, beta's and demo's.

There were a few occasions as well where the demo looked and played fine but the final product didn't because of last minute changes or god knows what reason. That's why I like to see the full game not the demo. :)

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Wow, Interesting, less than 20% of people in this poll never pirate :eek: I expected much higher (maybe its too early in the poll tho)

I'm more amazed that people are openly admitting to it. I guess, like others, I started when I was in college. I ran the compsoc and we needed new games every few weeks to keep the members interested but we just didn't have the budget to be buying 20+ copies of a game to run on all our PC's, and we also had the problem of people stealing the discs and serial codes.

First it started with buying 1 game then installing it on every PC and getting the serials online, then someone would just bring in their copy of the game, then we'd just download it ourselves.

Piracy of PC games has become so simple over the years. I remember when I first started I had to open the side of my PC and physically unplug my Optical drive, there where a load of other applications that needed to be ran also. Most of the time you had to wait a good few months before someone found a crack. Also the cracks where riddled with viruses and the sites you had to get them from where packed with spyware.

Now you can usually get the game before its street release date and it will usually run better than the official release as there'll be no serial prompts, copy protection or requirements to have the disk in the drive... etc. You also won't feel ripped off or angry when the game craps out on you and won't run on your PC or requires multiple patches to even function normally.

That being said, if I could rent PC games I would. I rent every game that I play on my PS3.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

BeciMester wrote: »
    There were a few occasions as well where the demo looked and played fine but the final product didn't because of last minute changes or god knows what reason. That's why I like to see the full game not the demo. :)

I said the same thing about the bird I raped last night. I just decided I would try her out first in case, turned out she screamed a lot so it was a no go for a future relationship. But hey, I've got good justification for doing it. I didn't want to take the risk of putting some effort into something that effects loads of peoples lives, instead I decided to ruin it for my own amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I used to do it to see if my PC could handle the games well. Only when I couldn't get a demo though. These days online play can really extend a game's life so I pretty much always buy them now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I said the same thing about the bird I raped last night. I just decided I would try her out first in case, turned out she screamed a lot so it was a no go for a future relationship. But hey, I've got good justification for doing it. I didn't want to take the risk of putting some effort into something that effects loads of peoples lives, instead I decided to ruin it for my own amusement.

:rolleyes: Thats a stupid comparrison, can a mod please delete it, it adds nothing to this thread

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,995 ✭✭✭KilOit

Wow im pretty surprised with how many pirate, id say it's even higher with countrys with faster internet speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I only pirate out-of-print games (e.g. visual novels that came out 10yrs ago, stuff from dead devs/publishers).

Does emulation count as piracy?

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Does emulation count as piracy?

yes

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't pirate my games anymore for one simple reason - they're too damn big for my connection / cap to handle. For instance, the torrent for Fallout 3 comes in at around 8/9Gig, on a 2Mb it's not worth killing my connection for that long for a game I'm willing to pay for anyway.

Now, on the other hand, if there's some old game I wouldn't mind playing for nostalgia's sake, like Fallout 2, Syndicate etc, or even more recent games that would have fit on 2 CDs, then yes I would be inclined to seek them out via nefarious means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

L31mr0d wrote: »
    we needed new games every few weeks to keep the members interested but we just didn't have the budget to be buying 20+ copies of a game to run on all our PC's, and we also had the problem of people stealing the discs and serial codes.

Yeah, curse those game-stealing ****, eh? How could they?! Can't trust anyone these days.

I don't think I will ever get tired of people trying to explain why it's ok for THEM to steal something. It's comically tragic.

I used to pirate a bit when I was younger, but I grew up. If you're not desperate enough to have the latest game right now then there's no problem worrying if it's a turkey when you can go over to someone else's house and see for yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I pirate some games. It just depends on the game.
    If its something i want to play online with mates like dawn of war, red alert 3 etc.. then i biy the game to save hassle.

But for games i am only going to play single player in i just steal it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Nope I don't pirate games, maybe I should start though I feel like I am missing out now.

Downloading a 5-10Gb file on my connection would just be hassle and you have the problem with virsuses and other "presents" that you get from torrents/cracks.

Most new PC games are €35 on play.com. I am willing to pay that for something that will give me 10 hours+ entertainment (minimum). Its a bargain in today's world. I only buy the games that get good player and critic reviews though. And online play is a big draw too so its just easier having a legit copy for that.

One big problem now though is that you can't sell your old games on ebay once you've finished then due to DRM. I can't blame the dev's for trying to stop piracy though, its costing them alot of money. Although current DRM doesn't seem to work, spore,etc. were easy to pirate.

Sarky wrote: »
    Yeah, curse those game-stealing ****, eh? How could they?! Can't trust anyone these days.

I don't think I will ever get tired of people trying to explain why it's ok for THEM to steal something. It's comically tragic.

I used to pirate a bit when I was younger, but I grew up.

I wasn't explaining why it's ok to pirate, I was explaining how it started. At least our stories are keeping you amused though... see there's one benefit to piracy, without it you wouldn't have all your comically tragic stories to read ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

After buying Spore from Direct2drive, I will be from here on in pirating all Pc games I can't buy on Steam.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Post any thing like that again and you will be taking a 2-3 week holiday from here.

NOTE:
    Please do not reply to this. Back on topic etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Did download in college but not anymore, as said above, not worth the hassle connection-wise.

Also, I assume its ok to 'crack' a game when I buy it so I dont have to change discs when changing games etc.. as long as I keep it to myself, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

well dont play pc games that much due to nowadays most games come out on console - if it is a RPG/ACT i will buy it on console,STR/FPS defo on pc.since my gaming time is getting less and i only buy the games i really want(very few of them),just get them in shop or mostly use online cheaper price seller.

used to do lots of pirated game back in secondary school - no money plus very cheap and easily get one.the games i downloaded mostly are ROM or pc games are less than 4Gb.i'd rather pay to get it instantly in shop if i really want it.unless....normal broadband speed becomes 100Mbps then......

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Now, on the other hand, if there's some old game I wouldn't mind playing for nostalgia's sake, like Fallout 2, Syndicate etc, or even more recent games that would have fit on 2 CDs, then yes I would be inclined to seek them out via nefarious means.

You don't need to anymore - there is this site www.gog.com where you can buy old games DRM-free, that's where I got Fallout 1-2 just recently. :) No, I'm not affiliated with them, I just love the whole idea of their site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement