Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool FC 01/11/08

• 31-10-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭

Well it's a bigger game that it would have been this time last week.
    Spurs in high confidence, and with a new manager to impress.
    Good going forward, but as pourous as a sieve at the back.
    Liverpool finally recovering from Skittles absence have looked very steady at the back, but without Torres, are still a bit soft going forward.

My predictions for the Liverpool team would be

Team:

Reina

Arbeloa
    Carragher
    Agger
    Aurelio

Mascherano
    Alonso

Kuyt
    Gerrard
    Riera

Keane

Bench:

Cavalieri, Hyypia, Dossena, Lucas, Benayoun, Babel, Torres

(I'll leave the home team to those who know better!;))

Can't see Torres being risked from the off.
    A good chance that if Liverpool get going and cruising, Rafa won't risk him at all.

All to loose for Liverpool, while Totenham could get beaten and it not mean anything due to the transition.
    Personally I think that if they try and flow forward like they did against Arsenal, Liverpool will win comfortably.
    They are more orginised than Arsenal at the back, and will (IMO) be able to soak up any oreasure and try and break.

All in all, should be a good game.
    I wouldn't expect a repeat of Wednsday by any means, but I can see a few goals.

Prediction : 1:2

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Either a multi-goal thriller 3-3 or 0-2 to Liverpool.

The Chelsea game line up but with Torres on the bench should indeed be enough.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can see Spurs ending Liverpool's unbeaten run. Confidence is high there now after there last two games.

3-1 Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Nope I see Liverpool bringing Spurs back to earth by at least 2 clear goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

will be an interesting match. spurs could pull something out of the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

It's really far too hard to call. One thing that Harry has meant is that Spurs are now great to watch again. He's working with a makeshift team until January though and it's arguable if these players will ever gel. I think Spurs are capable of any of the 3 outcomes, we've held Chelsea and the Gooners in 2 completely different games. Torres not playing would be a fantastic relief as our backline has been a bit cynical of late. Service has improved a little bit to our frontmen but I think we need to push Modric right up there behind Pav or Bent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Anything from a 0-0 to an 8-6 (to either side ;)) could happen. Hutton was poor on Wednesday night so I can see the team line up:

Gomes
    Gunter
    Woody
    King
    BAE (not fond of him but played well last two games)
    Bentley
    Jenas
    Huddlestone
    O'Hara
    Modric
    Pavlyuchenko

I'll take your arm off if you offered a 0-0 right now.

Oh, and expect Keane to get some grief, which I'm not happy about but some of our lot are numb nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I'll say the same thing that I said about Chelsea.
    If Spurs try and play an attacking game, Liverpool have already won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Oh, and expect Keane to get some grief, which I'm not happy about but some of our lot are numb nuts.

Some of every lot are numb nuts!;)

I'll say the same thing that I said about Chelsea.
    If Spurs try and play an attacking game, Liverpool have already won.

So Liverpool have already won?:pac:
    Spurs don't know another way to play:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

Torres may not be risked at all
    Rafa Benitez ponders White Hart Lane return for Fernando Torres
    Oct 31 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

RAFA BENITEZ is weighing up whether or not to recall Fernando Torres to his squad for Liverpool's trip to White Hart Lane.

Reports had suggested the Spanish striker would be fit enough to make his return against Spurs tomorrow but Benitez is considering leaving Torres at Melwood to continue his recuperation from injury.

The 24-year-old has missed Liverpool's last four games with a hamstring strain picked up on international duty with Spain, and although he has now returned to training, the Reds boss is adamant he will not plunge his top scorer into action before he is totally ready.

In Torres' absence, Liverpool have won three and drawn one of those four games, even managing to inflict defeat on Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, and Rafa Benitez believes this proves he has a squad at his disposal which can cope with the loss of even its biggest names.

"In the past, perhaps we did not have the ability to cope because maybe we did not have the same quality," said the Reds boss.

"But now we have won some important games without some of our best players.

"We managed to beat Man United without Torres and Steven Gerrard was only fit enough to come on as a substitute late on in that game.

"Last week we won at Chelsea without Torres so that should give the players confidence that we can win games even when we have injuries.

"It could be better if Torres remains on Merseyside and does not travel with the squad for the Spurs game but we will see."

Daniel Agger, Javier Mascherano, Robbie Keane and Albert Riera are all likely to return to the starting line up after being rested for the midweek win over Portsmouth, but Benitez admits the form of some of his fringe players is giving him food for thought ahead of tomorrow's game.

He added: "The result against Portsmouth showed the depth and quality of our squad.

"We have competition for places and a great team spirit.

"On Wednesday we changed four players and still won the game which is a good sign.

"We were able to protect a couple of players but now it is a bit more difficult for me because the other players who came into their side did their job and we won the game.

"As a manager you always want competition for places and we have that."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

SantryRed wrote: »
    Can see Spurs ending Liverpool's unbeaten run. Confidence is high there now after there last two games.

3-1 Spurs.

Fingers crossed your talent at prediction keeps up :rolleyes:
    SantryRed wrote:
    3 or 4 nil Chelsea. Liverpool to be brought back down to earth with a bang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

cant see liverpool loosing thought spurs were extremely fortunate to snatch a draw against arsenal and for much of the game were bystanders(which can happen against arsenal)and were very dodgy at the back and cant see the liverpool defence being as charitable as arsenals

Add to that, Gomez is looking very dodgy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

Not too sure how i feel on this one, if I was betting on it I'd go for a draw. What's the odds of Keane banging in a few?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

What's the odds of Keane banging in a few?
    I'll settle for him scoring 1.

spockety wrote: »
    Fingers crossed your talent at prediction keeps up :rolleyes:

:pac:

Was hoping someone wouldn't find that. Ah well, well played.

I actually do see Liverpool as genuine contenders this year and will be around until at least April, however, with Spurs on the up I honestly think they'll do yous.

Pompey should of got something on Wednesday but didn't due to poor finishing.

Is the game on TV and if so what time? Should be a cracking game.

Is the game on TV and if so what time? Should be a cracking game.

Setanta 1 @ 5:30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

:pac:

Pompey should of got something on Wednesday but didn't due to poor finishing.

so Portsmouth should have got something for poor finishing with one effort? By that logic, the game should have finished 5 or 6-1 to Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's a difficult one to call. The form team of the league, versus the team propping up the table pumped up by a fantastic result and fight-back on Wednesday. Liverpool are better in almost every area of the pitch, though Spurs are at home, on the crest of a wave, trying to impress Harry and hopefully are eager to impress the fans so it could go either way.

My heart says Spurs can get something from the game though my head says Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

i cant see anything other than a liverpool win. against Bolton Spurs still looked terrible and they were lucky on Wed's. They are bottom of the table for a reason and i expect them to be still there saturday night.

I hope Torres isnt called on, we need to get him properly fit for the tough November and December fixture schedule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

SuprSi wrote: »
    Liverpool are better in almost every area of the pitch, though Spurs are at home, on the crest of a wave, trying to impress Harry and hopefully are eager to impress the fans so it could go either way.
    More like the crest of a ripple. A win and a draw only papers over the massive cracks in spurs team. They were pretty awful on wednesday, the 4-4 result was as much a result of arsenals stupidity as Spurs being any good. Cant see Liverpool being caught out by naivety like that.Their defence is septic and will give up chances to Liverpool. So I expect Liverpool to win, clean sheet might not happen, but they will win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

prendy wrote: »
    i cant see anything other than a liverpool win. against Bolton Spurs still looked terrible and they were lucky on Wed's. They are bottom of the table for a reason and i expect them to be still there saturday night.

I hope Torres isnt called on, we need to get him properly fit for the tough November and December fixture schedule.

While I agree that Spurs have been poor it's tough to know how the whole Harry thing will work. I'd be pretty confident that Liverpool will get a win from this but I can see it being a bit nervy.

On the Torres thing - I wouldnt mind him getting a ten minute run as I'm sure he'll be playing in the Athletico game (won't he?)

Also our fixtures in November are very reasonable - Havent looked at December in a while but they didnt seem exceptionally tough. Arsenal before Christmas was the only big one I could remember

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

While I agree that Spurs have been poor it's tough to know how the whole Harry thing will work. I'd be pretty confident that Liverpool will get a win from this but I can see it being a bit nervy.

On the Torres thing - I wouldnt mind him getting a ten minute run as I'm sure he'll be playing in the Athletico game (won't he?)

Also our fixtures in November are very reasonable - Havent looked at December in a while but they didnt seem exceptionally tough. Arsenal before Christmas was the only big one I could remember

We've a few tricky ones in December alright

Away - Blackburn - Dec 06
    Home - Hull - Dec 13
    Away - Arsenal - Dec 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

gucci wrote: »
    More like the crest of a ripple. A win and a draw only papers over the massive cracks in spurs team. They were pretty awful on wednesday, the 4-4 result was as much a result of arsenals stupidity as Spurs being any good. Cant see Liverpool being caught out by naivety like that.Their defence is septic and will give up chances to Liverpool. So I expect Liverpool to win, clean sheet might not happen, but they will win.

In fairness, only 2 points and 5 goals from 8 games, then 4 points and 6 goals (I'm not going to mention conceded goals as that will ruin my point!) from 2 games - that's a pretty big wave all things considered. Yes there are glaring holes in the squad and yes for the majority of the game on Wednesday it was all Arsenal, but confidence and determination are mighty things and for a large part can make up for a lack of talent in a squad - just look at Hull! Still, Liverpool are naturally high on both confidence and determination, and have the ability to match, so on paper should win. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

dardoz wrote: »
    We've a few tricky ones in December alright

Away - Blackburn - Dec 06
    Home - Hull - Dec 13
    Away - Arsenal - Dec 21

All on tv as well.........actually, not so sure about the Hull match

For anyone wondering about the November/early Dec games I have them listed (along with the other "Big 4" teams) on the main team thread (two pages back). Livepool and Chelsea have the easiest schedule, Arsenal the hardest.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

SuprSi wrote: »
    In fairness, only 2 points and 5 goals from 8 games, then 4 points and 6 goals (I'm not going to mention conceded goals as that will ruin my point!) from 2 games - that's a pretty big wave all things considered. Yes there are glaring holes in the squad and yes for the majority of the game on Wednesday it was all Arsenal, but confidence and determination are mighty things and for a large part can make up for a lack of talent in a squad - just look at Hull! Still, Liverpool are naturally high on both confidence and determination, and have the ability to match, so on paper should win. :pac:

ya but look at those two games, always the first game under new management the players play well as they do in local darbies. the fact remains that they are a shell of what they were this time last year.

I am backing us -2.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

prendy wrote: »
    y. the fact remains that they are a shell of what they were this time last year.

Nah they were pretty crap this time last year aswell, in fact they are only 2 points worse off now, 1 win, 4 draws and a 5 losses.

Interesting fact (kind of): The match before the 2-2 draw at Anfield last year, Spurs drew 4-4 with The Villa.

On the match tommorow, Spurs need to serverely tighten up at the back, Harry needs to get Huddlestone tackling, I can see the Scouse getting atleast 2, but I think Spurs can reply.

Therefore for me a 2-2 draw. (So thats prob 0-1 Liverpool ;) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Boggles wrote: »
    Therefore for me a 2-2 draw.

16/1 get on...

• Advertisement

Iago wrote: »
    16/1 get on...

I wouldn't back Spurs with monoply money. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

No reason we shouldn't be looking for 3 points out of this game. Spurs are better under Harry, but if we want to justify being top of the table, we really need to be winning these games out of habit.

I wouldn't put any money on it though!

Great Pic from Paddy Power.

sb_whenharrymetscally.jpg

The game can be seen in full on Setanta Ireland at 10 pm for those without the pay channels.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's in that spot where he'll be getting stick off both sides for not scoring.:)

A win of any sort will do nicely. fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think having Agger back is a big big coup for this game, as I think Skertle would have been troubled in this game.

However the way Spurs play is to an extent very central, in which case they'll be running into the freshest player on the pitch, Mascherano who rested midweek. It'll be a big game for him. After that, Liverpool should score against such a comical defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭Gelio

Should be 2 or 3 nil but then so should portsmouth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Spurs were gifted two late goals by Arsenal midweek!

I wonder would people really think that spurs will get anything from this game if they lost 4-2 on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

ajeffares wrote: »
    Should be 2 or 3 nil but then so should portsmouth

I cant see spurs being as defensive as pompey were

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

PHB wrote: »
    I think having Agger back is a big big coup for this game, as I think Skertle would have been troubled in this game.

Why do you say that?Agger is now setled after a shaky start but skertle is a claas act

Anyways Spurs are in a diabolical shape and i fully expect Liverpool to be stronger in all sectors.

Liverpool to win by 2

Liverpool at -2 are 9-1 to win.

Liverpool to win is evens. Worth a punt.

• Advertisement

The Liverpool team in full: Reina, Arbeloa, Dossena, Agger, Carragher, Alonso, Mascherano, Riera, Kuyt, Gerrard, Keane.

4-2-3-1 then

Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Benayoun, Aurelio, Babel, Lucas, El Zhar.

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Happy apart from dossena

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I suppose Torres left is the only "surprise" there. there was debate about whether he would be on the bench. Looks like Rafa is really taking hiss time bringing Nando back. Wants to make sure he is fully fit.

Torres on the left would be a shock rather than a surprise :p

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

When some1 gets a working streaming link please psot here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Any streams?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

http://www.ustream.tv/videoplayerpopup/channel/294307

I was using this stream for the United game and supposedly the Liverpool game is on next...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

TOTTENHAM v LIVERPOOL LINE-UP
    Tottenham: Gomes, Corluka, King, Woodgate, Assou-Ekotto, Bentley, Jenas, Huddlestone, O'Hara, Modric, Bent. Subs: Cesar, Hutton, Bale, Zokora, Lennon, Pavlyuchenko, Campbell.

Liverpool: Reina, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Dossena, Kuyt, Mascherano, Alonso, Riera, Gerrard, Keane. Subs: Cavalieri, Hyypia, Aurelio, Benayoun, Babel, Leiva Lucas, El Zhar.
    Referee: Phil Dowd (Staffordshire).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think its a good thing this game is a late kick off with the other 2 in the big 3 (lol) winning it will reinforce how important the 3 points are today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

One of the few times this year i'll be shouting for Liverpool.

G'wan Robbie!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement