Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Tottenham Hotspur vs Liverpool FC 01/11/08

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Don't jump the gun and calm down. As I said earlier out of the next six PL fixtures four are at Home.

Oh and I'm laughing at all the "Liverpool's luck has run out and will be exposed" cooments, I swear I didn't see you all coming at the first sign of trouble for us. We hit the woodwork four times and could have had the game put to bed by the time the clock hit 60 mins. That's not taking away from Spur's victory, they showed great character but to suggest that we were under pressure "all night" is idiotic. A fallacy.

who said you were under preasure all night?

no one, but when spurs did put you under preasure you folded like only a team who's on the road to 4th place can

could of, should of might have's if only's don't win leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Thank you Roman Pavlyuchenko... ill take the 10 point hit in my fantasy football to see Liverpool fall apart... the wheels have come off :)

is it time for the aul

attachment.php?attachmentid=65492&d=1225046631

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Another example there today of why Liverpool will not win the league under Benitez. He has no idea what's required to win the Premiership over 38 games.

He treats every game like some sort of cup final and puts out a team designed to stifle the opposition. This is a good tactic against the other top 4 teams but this tactic will not win the Premiership. For the majority of games, you need to do what Chelsea and United did today - go out and batter inferior opposition.

And Kuyt! Good squad player but should not be starting every game. Fair enough, he's had a couple of deflected shots and a shanked volley go into the goal in recent weeks but that shouldn't mean our right flank should be rendered ineffective week in week out. Pennant has done well in recent weeks, even Babel would have been better in that position today.

Rant over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Thank god that is over, it was like watching 2 girls play snooker. The standard of passing by both teams was dreadful, neither side deserved to win.

Ardent wrote: »

And Kuyt! Good squad player but should not be starting every game. Fair enough, he's had a couple of deflected shots and a shanked volley go into the goal in recent weeks but that shouldn't mean our right flank should be rendered ineffective week in week out. Pennant has done well in recent weeks, even Babel would have been better in that position today.

Rant over.

and today he was lucky enough to have a keeper duck out of the way of the ball instead of trying to save it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

The handbags are out tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Come on lads, give it a rest. Some awful trolling going on here. I was delighted to see Liverpool lose - obviously - but they're still level top of the league, having lost their first match after 11 games. Still 5 points ahead of United, level with Chelsea - having beat both of those teams. One loss doesnt end a season, cos if it did, then Utd would have been out of it weeks ago and Chelsea would have been out of it last week.

This "the wheels have come off" sh!te is ridiculous.

Grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

ntlbell wrote: »
    and today he was lucky enough to have a keeper duck out of the way of the ball instead of trying to save it..

It took a deflection;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

And so it begins :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Archimedes wrote: »
    Come on lads, give it a rest. Some awful trolling going on here. I was delighted to see Liverpool lose - obviously - but they're still level top of the league, having lost their first match after 11 games. Still 5 points ahead of United, level with Chelsea - having beat both of those teams. One loss doesnt end a season, cos if it did, then Utd would have been out of it weeks ago and Chelsea would have been out of it last week.

Grow up.

A voice of reason finally. Well said sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

j30cp23dlldsc00163xx0.jpg

Someone tell them to stop the printing press.

Fair play to Spuds today. Sure, Liverpool could have wrapped the game up, but they didn't, and Spurs made sure that they pressured in the last 25 to eek out something. That is something you certainly would have said about them a week ago.

I only wish Mike Ashley would seek inspiration from Daniel Levy, and admit that he got things wrong, clear out the unwanteds, and stop the rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

hell of alot of liverpool hate in here it seems

rossie1977 wrote: »
    hell of alot of liverpool hate in here it seems

Once they realise they're not going to win the league this season people will stop;)

Grow up.

lolz

Ah come on, it's no more riculous than people thinking liverpool are real contenders this year tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I've said before, and was slaughtered at the time by Liverpool fans for saying it, that I didn't think the four As at Liverpool were up to it - Agger, Aurelio, Alonso and Arbeloa. I felt they weren't good enough for Liverpool and wouldn't get near United or Chelsea's team. To be fair when I said this months ago Alonso was playing a lot poorer than he is at the minute so I'd lessen my criticism of him in that regard but I stand by my views on the others. Those guys won't bring anyone a Premiership title.

Agger in particular is very overrated and has made significant errors in big games. He's not worthy of playing alongside a terrific player like Carragher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

j30cp23dlldsc00163xx0.jpg

Someone tell them to stop the printing press.

:D

FFS talk about getting ahead of yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

lolz

Ah come on, it's no more riculous than people thinking liverpool are real contenders this year tbh

i said it before the start of the season and im saying it now. villa have as much chance of winning the league as the scouse do

SantryRed wrote: »
    Once they realise they're not going to win the league this season people will stop;)

so a few bandwagon/fairweather supporters think liverpool are going to win the league and everyone starts hating them :rolleyes:

i think the hate is more deeper than that

Agger in particular as very overrated and has made significant errors in big games. He's not worthy of playing alongside a terrific player like Carragher.

Yup carragher must be pretty frustrated playing along side him. carragher deserves another world class defender beside him

• Advertisement

lolz

Why is it ridiculous to think that? Last year, maybe. I gave them a hard time last season, because I wasnt impressed at all with them. This season they've been doing everything that United and Chelsea have been doing in seasons past. That's beating the teams around them, pulling victories out of losses, draws in the dying minutes. When we do it, its "the hallmark of champions" but when they do it, its luck? Not buying it. Ive been thoroughly impressed by Liverpool this season. They played us off the park and they played Chelsea off the park. Im as anti-Liverpool as they come, but for fucks sake, respect where respect is due, they're level top on their own merit. And we're not. Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

so a few bandwagon/fairweather supporters think liverpool are going to win the league and everyone starts hating them :rolleyes:

It's not so much hate as the underlying fear that's the problem.

Man i'm in the wrong job.

/goes off to buy a couch

TBH, I have a huge one considering how many go over every week to watch an English team play so mine's warranted. However I don't want to get into that.

For all the Pool fans in Ireland, I just LOVE to see them fail:D

TBH, I have a huge one considering how many go over every week to watch an English team play so mine's warranted. However I don't want to get into that.

For all the Pool fans in Ireland, I just LOVE to see them fail:D

so you hate celtic and man utd too i suppose

lolz

Hmmmm.......

Level on top after 11 games. And are next 6 fixtures are

• West Brom (H)
    • Bolton (A)
    • Fulham (H)
    • West Ham (H)
    • Blackburn (A)
    • Hull (H)
    Do you want to come back to reality with the rest of us? Or are you happy to be kept company with your blind hatred?

Hmmmm.......

• West Brom (H)
    • Bolton (A)
    • Fulham (H)
    • West Ham (H)
    • Blackburn (A)
    • Hull (H)
    Do you want to come back to reality with the rest of us? Or are you happy to be kept company with your blind hatred?

Lets see how yous are after them 6 games. This will truely show if they're gonna challenge. Even though I don't they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

lolz

Shut up please!
    Its early days impossible to say we are still not contenders. I'm gutted about todays result but we will bounce back. We lost to a team that have transformed in the last week, I knew it would happen sooner or latter.
    Confidence was running too high and we lost control too much media talk. Torres returns next week so im remaining fairly positive still.

Why is it ridiculous to think that? Last year, maybe. I gave them a hard time last season, because I wasnt impressed at all with them. This season they've been doing everything that United and Chelsea have been doing in seasons past. That's beating the teams around them, pulling victories out of losses, draws in the dying minutes. When we do it, its "the hallmark of champions" but when they do it, its luck? Not buying it. Ive been thoroughly impressed by Liverpool this season. They played us off the park and they played Chelsea off the park. Im as anti-Liverpool as they come, but for fucks sake, respect where respect is due, they're level top on their own merit. And we're not. Yet.

I'm not going down this road again.
    They were a number of world class players away from being champions the last few years.

They're a number of world class players away from being champions this year. They haven't added anything to the side to make me think any different.

credit: they've done very well the first 10 games.

but it's 38 and over 38 they don't have the class or the staying power or depth in the team to win it.

it's pretty clear why it's ridclous tbh

so you hate celtic and man utd too i suppose

Yeah, UNited not so much though to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Oh its so so busy when we loose.

• Advertisement

I'm not going down this road again.
    They were a number of world class players away from being champions the last few years.

They're a number of world class players away from being champions this year. They haven't added anything to the side to make me think any different.

credit: they've done very well the first 10 games.

but it's 38 and over 38 they don't have the class or the staying power or depth in the team to win it.

it's pretty clear why it's ridclous tbh

Dont get me wrong, I honestly dont think Liverpool will win the league this year. But they are most definitely contenders. Ignorance is the only excuse for not seeing that.

Hmmmm.......

• West Brom (H)
    • Bolton (A)
    • Fulham (H)
    • West Ham (H)
    • Blackburn (A)
    • Hull (H)

the problem with this post is

those are fixtures, not points.

Lets see how yous are after them 6 games. This will truely show if they're gonna challenge. Even though I don't they will.

I entirely and wholeheartedly agree. We'll see how they go and by the time those six fixtures are out of they way, we'll be just about half way through the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Yawn wheels falling off etc

Said the same thing after they drew at home to Stoke and they are still there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

wouldn't get to passimistic it's only one bad result spurs were blessed totally outplayed and outclassed in two games and got 4 points Liverpool left to rue chances but this is football have to bounce back now. Can't criticize rafa keane was poor and one great chance to shoot and hadn't the confidence to do so. Dossenna was incredibly poor never thought I'd say this but bring back riise

the problem with this post is

those are fixtures, not points.

Six very winnable fixtures to be precise. I'm just pointing out you calling are challenge ridiculous is very premature considering those next six fixtures that we have. These fixtures will tell us just how serious are challenge is.

I've said before, and was slaughtered at the time by Liverpool fans for saying it, that I didn't think the four As at Liverpool were up to it - Agger, Aurelio, Alonso and Arbeloa. I felt they weren't good enough for Liverpool and wouldn't get near United or Chelsea's team. To be fair when I said this months ago Alonso was playing a lot poorer than he is at the minute so I'd lessen my criticism of him in that regard but I stand by my views on the others. Those guys won't bring anyone a Premiership title.

I'd reserve judgement on Agger, he shows a lot of promise.

I agree with you totally on Arbeloa and Aurelio though. Why Benitez let Finnan go I'll never understand, because Arbeloa brings very little to the table. Aurelio is another mystery (as is why we continuously let him take free kicks when he's obviously rubbish at them).

Other notables: Babel, Keane, Kuyt, Benayoun, Pennant, Dossena. Not bad but nowhere near the level required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,716 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I entirely and wholeheartedly agree. We'll see how they go and by the time those six fixtures are out of they way, we'll be just about half way through the season.

Even after those 6 fixtures it is impossible to tell how the league will finish up, even if Liverpool get the maximum 18 points. As I said during the week Arsenal were 5 & 8 points ahead of United and Chelsea with 26 matches played last season.

As for the match, I think it was 3 points dropped for Liverpool, Spurs defending really is woeful, at one stage Kuyt had a shot on goal, the 4 Spurs defenders actually turned their backs to the ball.

I said before the match that Liverpool were good enough to get at least 2, but Spurs were more than capable aswell. Simple fact is the Spuds took their chances, Liverpool didn't.

Liverpool losing this match is no more an indication of how they will do in the league then beating Chelsea was last week.

If they stay in touch until March they have a chance, now it is all guess work I'm afraid.

Boggles wrote: »
    Even after those 6 fixtures it is impossible to tell how the league will finish up, even if Liverpool get the maximum 18 points. As I said during the week Arsenal were 5 & 8 points ahead of United and Chelsea with 26 matches played last season.

As for the match, I think it was 3 points dropped for Liverpool, Spurs defending really is woeful, at one stage Kuyt had a shot on goal, the 4 Spurs defenders actually turned their backs to the ball.

I said before the match that Liverpool were good enough to get at least 2, but Spurs were more than capable aswell. Simple fact is the Spuds took their chances, Liverpool didn't.

Liverpool losing this match is no more an indication of how they will do in the league then beating Chelsea was last week.

If they stay in touch until March they have a chance, now it is all guess work I'm afraid.

Agreed on everything, it's anyones guess. I'm just pointing how ridiculous it is to try and present Liverpools campaign as going nowhere as fact.

• Advertisement

I see Chelsea as being the team to beat this season. They look far more assured and consistent than any other team in the league.

For Liverpool, this game was definitely 3 important points dropped - we will struggle to keep pace with Chelsea as the season progresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭~Marky~

We will be grand when we get November out of the way..I think this month is cursed for us I really do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pvt.joker wrote: »

Your point? I did say I was delighted Liverpool lost.......

But I didnt say "GET IN!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUT OF THE TITLE RACE!!!"

Did I?

Did I?

Are you a closet Pool fan?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

Did I?

I was just requoting your post. Much the same as saying "+1"
    Delighted to see Liverpoor lose :cool:

• Advertisement

No, Im just trying to establish damage limitations for when the actual Pool fans get over this defeat, decide to face the music and log on, and then accuse of us being bitter and obsessed.

Are you a closet Pool fan?:confused:

Why? Because he doesn't put the blinkers on and is level headed?;)

Six very winnable fixtures to be precise. I'm just pointing out you calling are challenge ridiculous is very premature considering those next six fixtures that we have. These fixtures will tell us just how serious are challenge is.

why bother playing at all lets just get the fixtures tot up the "what should happen on paper" points and be done with it.

Your fixture list has no relevance on winning the league or losing

you don't have the depth in the squad there's no more quality than there was there last year there's no reason earth to think they'll win it

be closer at the end based on the start? possibly but pipping chelsea/united to the title?

not a hope in hell

Why? Because he doesn't put the blinkers on and is level headed?;)

:pac:

I've no blinkers to put on;)

No, Im just trying to establish damage limitations for when the actual Pool fans get over this defeat, decide to face the music and log on, and then accuse of us being bitter and obsessed.

losing to spurs won't cause them to lose the league.

but it should open pool fans eyes to why they wont win it

nothing more nothing less

• Advertisement
Advertisement