Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cracked windscreen

Options
  • 31-10-2008 12:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

I cracked my windscreen this morning by butting water from the kettle to clear the the frost and a large crack formed in the middle of the windscreen - i'm an idiot i know!

have my test next friday - given that the crack is large and across the middle of the windscreen (in my line of vision) will the car be seen as being not road worthy?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If it's in the line of vision then yes.

Check your insurance, most policies have free windscreen cover (don't tell them what you did with the water though).

You can also get mobile repair services so you don't even have to bring the car in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I cracked my windscreen this morning by butting water from the kettle to clear the the frost and a large crack formed in the middle of the windscreen - i'm an idiot i know!

have my test next friday - given that the crack is large and across the middle of the windscreen (in my line of vision) will the car be seen as being not road worthy?

Get is sorted the sooner the better so it will be one less thing you have to worry about, most garages even bill the insurance company direct, that's if you had windscreen coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

My cousin works for AutoGlass - apparently call outs double around this time of the year, with people point hot/warm water over a frozen windscreen.

But yeah, get it changed ASAP, as most likely they won't take you out as it's obstructing your view and considered dangerous and unfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭stek

no question, Get it fixed!. the first time i did my test(or attempted to do it) the instructor refused to take me out due to a 2inch crack in the winscreen. the crack was not in my line of view as it was covered by my tax/ins discs. there was no talking to him. Its extreemly easy to fix, most policies cover it, although i would check that you dont loose you no claims before going through them, or else should cost about 120 to fix. good luck with the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I failed an NCT last year because of a small chip in my windscreen - because it was in my field of vision and exceeded the permitted size. It was still tiny.

Call your insurance company and get it sorted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement