Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a camera on holidays

Options
  • 31-10-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭

Hi all, going away for a week tomorrow and wanted to know if anyone had any advice about bringing my camera, I only have the camera a couple of months and so haven't brought an SLR camera away before - is it better to take my chances with it boxed up in the main luggage or carrying it as hand luggage? I'll probably take two lenses with me, but could survive with one like.

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Carry it as hand luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

oh no carry it. Also dont forget to take it out and take a few pics out the window if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Hand luggage is the only way to go. Have taken my DSLR on numerous trips now. Ensure you have a decent back for it as well. I have a Lowe Computertrakker AW which is brilliant for the camera and a number of lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Definately carry on - if you haven't a dedicated bag like gandalf's then i'd suggest you pack it well to add protection - just in case. There was a post recently where someone had broght the dslr as hand luggage but the bag fell from th overhead compartment and now they required a service center. Thinking about it, it might be safer under the seat if you don't necessarily need your leg room.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

carry on ftw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

trishw78 wrote: »
    carry on ftw

+1

Also when away keep it close enough when at markets and the like. Common sense should prevail :)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

thanks all, hand luggage ftw it is :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Carry it on in hand luggage. If you are taking a Tripod or a Monopod then stick those into the Main Luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

wtf does ftw mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

wtf does ftw mean?

For The Win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Insured it.. My DLSR and 3 lenses cost 10€ on top of my home insurance until renewal in February, this covers all activities outside my house including transporting by motorcycle, as mentioned above get a Lowe CompuTrekker AW
    Mine cost 130€ in Dublin
    http://www.hallcameras.ie/catalog/?function=detail&id=1029

Advertisement