Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit by a truck

Options
  • 31-10-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭

So coming to work this am and mr truck driver decided he wanted to get close and personal so he pulled into my lane without looking obviously caught the back wing creamed through the passenger door and now the front passenger door does not open.......this all on the m50 at rush hour this morning:rolleyes:

Its a 01 diesel xsara so could be a border line write off.

Just some questions about the insurance thing though. If the company decide to pay through the insurance based on the quote can i request the cheque and sell the car as a damaged repairable?

what value do you reckon they will put on the car?

even though other driver admitted liability should i notify my insurance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You must contact your insurance company in the case of any RTA your fault or not. If you fail to do so it could backfire on you. If there is any PI involved you must report it to the Gardai within 24hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Was it an artic? If so you'll find that he probably did look but couldn't see you. Most people have no clue as to how many blind spots there are from the cab of an artic.
    Anyway, yes, inform your insurance company. They'll only give the OMSP of the car which is probably around a grand or something way less than you'd like it to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

did the driver write down he admitted liability? did you take photos of the damage? did you get witnesses?

call your insurance company immediately and they will guide you. if the gardai attended did you take id no's of the gardai at the scene. This could be important later.

I got crushed by a truck in similar fashion in a freelander. The truck driver admitted verbal liability at the scene but later denied same at a later date. Got him anyway for every bit of damage as in a replacement vehicle.

Best of luck and call your insurance co. Thats what they are there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

ok i just let the insurance company know the details.

The driver of the artic did not write anything down though i did get the gardai's details as there was a problem iniatially with the truck driver insurance disc but thats all sorted now.

I'm not giving out about the artic driver sure i know as well as anybody accidents happen and especially given his was a left hand drive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,973 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Most insurers will let you 'buy' the car back, giving you the value minus whatever a scrappie would have paid for the car as the settlement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

You could have been in his blindspot - directly behind the cab, the side, under door etc. If he was a left-hooker chances are he didn't know you were there - he's liable though.

Insurance will send out assessor he will deem whether the car is a write off (uneconomical repair) or if it's worth being repaired. If they decide to write it off they'll offer you a settlement and you keep the car or else a settlement of the market value of the car - not entirely sure TBH.

But if they offer to repair it, make sure you demand a replacement car whilst your car is off the road - they often try to avoid giving one to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Just wondering, as artics are not supposed to be in the "overtaking" lane on a motorway and the M50 is still as such would he not be in trouble for being in the wrong lane?!!

Anyway hard luck OP. Best of luck with the insurance company. Always take down as many details as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cabrwab wrote: »
    Just wondering, as artics are not supposed to be in the "overtaking" lane on a motorway and the M50 is still as such would he not be in trouble for being in the wrong lane?!!
    They would not be legally permitted to use the right-most lane if the speed limit on the motorway is 100kph or 120kph.

If the speed limit on the motorway is 80kph or less, a truck may use any lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Scottie99

If the speed limit on the motorway is 80kph or less, a truck may use any lane.

That's new to me and I drive them.

Advertisement