Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

city center cheap pubs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭white apples

studiorat wrote: »

That's a serious understatement, it's full of quare-hawks! Opens at 7 in the morning too I believe!

Eh...what's a quare-hawk?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,627 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

lightening wrote: »
    Molloys on Talbot street. Fantastic pub, never that packed, excellent barmen, good prices.

There has been lots and lots of suggestions. Seems your wrong! ;)

It wasn't a personal attack at all faceman. I am just wondering where you get the idea that you can't get a cheap pint in Dublin when clearly you can. Do you read it in newspapers, do you go out much in the city, do you feel ripped off?

I am in the city every weekend and sometimes during the week. Fair enough, there are expensive joints, but you can get cheap, decent places all over the city.

Dublin is always going to be dearer in general than outside the Dublin area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

studiorat wrote: »

Eh...what's a quare-hawk?

Old Dublineese for odd ball. Comes from a time when a fella being a 'bit queer' meant something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Seriously though, the pav in the grounds of trinity is cheap, although it is better in nice weather when you can sit out

If they were givin away the beer for free I still wouldn't go there. Full of ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

esel wrote: »
    I think the Royale finishes very early though - about 7:30pm? Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah. The owner just shuts up shop when he gets a pain in his tits sometimes. One night I tried to come in when it was still full of ol drunks singing ballads, the owner said he had just stopped serving because he was "all fággotted out"

€3 a pint though, if you can find a cheaper pint of guinness in Dublin, drink it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Xavi6 wrote: »
    If they were givin away the beer for free I still wouldn't go there. Full of ****.

They are an extreme variety of knobs in there alright, but on a sunny day in town its great. In most beer gardens you will be in the shade. You can buy a load of cans on Dame street and stroll into Trinity and sit in the sun, I love it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

CiaranC wrote: »
    These are both dives.
    How on gods good earth could the Flowing Tide be consideed a dive?
    On what are you basing the term Dive?
    It's a well managed pub with an ecclectic mix. Clean pub, clean toilets, clean clientel, efficient and friendly bar staff. Simple boozer catering for the theatre goers and makers for years and doing it well.

How on gods good earth is 4.50 a cheap pint of Guinness?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭sprinklesspanky

So me and the girlfriend checked out the Royal restaurant today... wow, what an experience.

When we first walked in there all the rumors about the regular clientele were true... characters all, but no one looking for trouble. The real story is with the staff.

There were two Polish girls and one Filipino man working there. Halfway through our "meal" a trolly was pushed into the place full of the cheapest items one could buy at the Dunnes nearby on Georges Street... frozen fish, peas, etc.

Then the two Polish girls got into it, yelling at each other in the back and the agument spilled out to the floor.

So to sumerise, frozen food, arguments, dodgy characters... well it's just like home!

The pints are €3.00, the way to make this place work is to get about 8 of your friends together, take up the long booth at the center of the room, and make your own party on pocket change. €27 buys you 9 pints... you see were I am going with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You can buy a load of cans on Dame street and stroll into Trinity and sit in the sun, I love it.

You knacker! You buy the cans on Westland Row and you go in the back entrance.

Advertisement