Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do accountants want??

• 31-10-2008 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I am looking into purchasing an accounting package for a small business but first of all I want to make sure it's worth my while.

Why shouldn't I just use Excel? Alot of the packages I've researched say that they create information that the accountant wants quickly but what is it that accountants want? I found a good link (bottom) that seems to give me the answer but is this it?

Do accountants want all of the information in a specific order? ie all cheques together, invoices, DDs together? Or do they want it chronologically by month?

What format do the likes of sage and quickbooks take?

Sorry if this is a daft question btw! I'm just trying to sort it out in my head.

http://ashco-accountants.co.uk/helpsheets/miscellaneous/year_end.htm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Mr Clonfadda

Most accountants want to see your income and expenses analysed out into different headings ie Phone, Light & Heat etc.
    If you are starting off Excel will do but as business grows you may find this harder to operate.
    Are you in Retail or do you need to produce invoices for customers. Accounts package will help with producing invoices.

Do You give your customers credit? If you do accounts Package will do statements for you.

Are you registered for Vat? Accounts package will make this easier if you do.
    Accounts packages start at 200-300 euros ie Sage Instant, TAS Books 1 etc. Don't buy an accounts package to suit your account. It needs to suit you.

If you are not accountant please go with the accounts package as i believe it will save you money in the long run.

Advertisement