Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat or kitten?

• 31-10-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi
    My parents have decided to get a cat or kitten due to ongoing problems with field mice getting in. It only gets worse during the winter so they have been advised a cat is the only way to really keep them away.
    They have a 5 year old dog who is quite terratorial. I don't think she would hurt another animal but she has never had one living in the house with her. She stayed at a kennels for a few weeks recently and they told us that although she was wary at first, after a few days she was out playing with the other dogs. For this reason I believe she would be ok once she gets used to another animal.
    My main question is would you recommend getting a cat or a kitten? would it be more fair to get a kitten so she can get used to the dog or would a cat be able to handle themselves better?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Might be a good opportunity to rescue an older cat? Perhaps one who has had experience living with dogs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

A rescue would be great , thing is you would need more patience with a fully grown cat Im guessing , Cats a very territorial :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ruben

I would opt for a laid back rescue cat that has some experience of living with a dog. A kitten might be just a bit much for both your folks and the doggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I'd say get an adult cat from a rescue, at least if things go pear shaped with the dog an adult cat can defend itself/run away whereas a kitten could end up injured/killed.

Is the cat going to be an indoor cat? It'll need to be neutered and vaccinated either way if not done so already by the rescue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The rescue will recommend you a cat that's used to dogs. As others have said, I would not recommend a young kitten - nothing up to 10 months. 10 months to two years would be good - old enough to mind itself and not be scared of its own shadow, young enough to cope with a change.

Your parents will need to be very careful how they manage the introductory period between dog and cat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

Def older cat. I have a 7 month old nurered male, great with dogs, he actually thinks he is a dog. If interested give me a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 LoveIt

Thanks for all the advice guys. If the cat is not vaccinated or neutered we would definitely get that done

Yes it will be an indoor cat i imagine. Although my dad never considered himself an animal lover once we got a dog he adopted a completely different outlook and will stop and talk to dogs on the street practically! The dog is a member of the family and I have no doubt once they get the cat they will soon treat it in the exact same "royal' way!

I would welcome any advice in regards to training and what to do when introducing the animals etc.

Mary, that cat sounds great! A 'dog' that will keep teh mice away!! Are you in the dublin area? would 7 months be old enough?

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

hello.
    If one gets a kitten from a rescue centre they may be able to recommend a kitty that is brave and bomb proof, that may take no notice of the dog.
    If the kitten or cat is not neutered when you get it then it is recommended that girls get neutered at 5 months and the boys at 6 months. Its recomend that the kitten cannot be left go outside for the first three weeks as it needs to get used to new people and sounds and environment as otherwise the kitten will run off given an open door. Keeping it indoors permanently means that it will be safe.
    introducing it to the dog ....if it can be kept away from the dog for the first couple of days and then when they do meet as long as kitty has somewhere to hide if it gets upset, granted that said it may not take any notice of the dog and not be worried by it at all.
    Treatment for fleas and worming is something that one will have to be aware of with any animal and spot on treatments are available that do both from the vets and are easy to administer.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Just on the ages for neutering:

I've posted this before, because here in Oz the domestic cat is an unliked animal, responsible for a feral population explosion that decimated wildlife.

Subsequently shelters down here will neuter much earlier. Little boy kittens are neutered as soon as their testicles have dropped, and little girl kittens around the same age, and sometimes as young as eight weeks.

A well-fed female cat can have her first season as young as four months of age, and if unfertilised, she will continue to come into season every two to three weeks after that.

Neutering a boy cat earlier won't make a difference to his size. It's like the difference between a gelding and a stallion. They reach the same size, but the stallion will fill out more with testosterone-powered muscle. So you may get a more 'slight' cat.

If you can't tell the difference between a kitten at six weeks and a kitten at two weeks, you could get to the point where you leave it too long to neuter and end up with an unwanted litter of kittens yourself.

Here's a link to a research article on the whole subject, commissioned by the Winn Feline Foundation.

http://www.cfa.org/articles/health/early-neuter.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not all vets will still not neuter/spay early but there are some who do which is great. As long as the kitten is in good health obviously early spaying is the way to go wish more vets would, same with dogs.

Would go for an older cat though but do be careful with introductions to the dog or perhaps a pair of bonded cats might be an idea. Cats and dogs can get on really well but if the dog isn't used to cats then do be careful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭okmqaz42

I killed at least thirty mice in the house last year-so this year when I found a kitten in the ditch about half a mile from the house I took it as a sign.

I have two dogs that just about tolerate me so I was worried about adding a kitten into the pack. I read on boards about petting each animal in turn so that the scent is mixed with all the animals. It worked for me they all get alnog fine. I tend to leave bthe kitten in the housr during the day so that it has a chat:) with any mice that are looking for a new home.

Advertisement