Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irishmen in WWI

Options
  • 31-10-2008 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I know this forum is WWII but I thought this could go here also. RTE are planning on commemorating the Irish role in WWI - here is more information on it for anyone who is interested :

http://www.rte.ie/1918/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭FiSe

Finally, I will dare to add :rolleyes:

Thanks for the link, maybe it's time to get my TV aerial sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

That's really good news.

I think Sebastian barry's book, "A Long Long Way" really stirred up interest in this period of history, from a different angle to the usual 1916 uprising one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

This is great news and I agree re Sebastian Barrys book....it was only after reading that book that I discovered my great grandad fought in the trenches in WW1. He is buried in the military cemetary on Blackhorse Avenue (near the Phoenix Park and the barracks) - recommend it as a place for a stroll, it is very atmospheric...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Morlar wrote: »
    I know this forum is WWII but I thought this could go here also. RTE are planning on commemorating the Irish role in WWI - here is more information on it for anyone who is interested :

http://www.rte.ie/1918/
    Thanks for that, SKY box set.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Cheers Morlar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Lemon

I have a spare ticket for the RTE Radio debate about WW1 which is on this Monday (10th) at 7pm in the Dublin City Library and Archive on Pearse Street.
    It is part of the 'Thomas Davis Lecture Series' and its a public debate examining "the Morality, Memory and Legacy of the Great War for Ireland"
    Tickets are free and I am going anyway so can meet up beforehand to offer ticket. PM me if you are interested!

Advertisement