Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The least dislikeable band

Options
  • 31-10-2008 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭

I've just thought of a game. One poster tries to suggest a band that they never hear a bad word about despite commercial success and the next poster has to be someone who really dislikes the band and they have to explain their reasons why, they can then put forward their suggestion.

My suggestion, because they'd be in my top 5 and I've never heard a bad word said about them is Mogwai.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Echo and the Bunnymen.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Nolanger wrote: »
    Echo and the Bunnymen.

Read original post. Meh f*ck it anyway, doubt this thread would've survived.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Okay well I'll give her a go. Mogwai??! I hate the Scottish! Such Jesus & Mary Chain rip offs!! And they suck.

Okay, AC/DC! Now this thread has finished! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Eh, Angus Young is from Scotland. I thought you said you hate the Scottish! :pac: Aaaaannnddd, a lot of their music sounds the same. (please don't hurt me, I'm just going along with the rules of the game :p)

(French Band) Air :)

I hate the French!! :D Dispite them having the dude from Divine Comedy (who I'm a big fan of)collaborate with them I still don't like them!

Okay, Rob Zombie rocks!! Never heard no one say anything out of place about him, anyway, he's cool!!!

• Advertisement

Nailz wrote: »
    I hate the French!! :D Dispite them having the dude from Divine Comedy (who I'm a big fan of)collaborate with them I still don't like them!

Okay, Rob Zombie rocks!! Never heard no one say anything out of place about him, anyway, he's cool!!!

Ugh gimmicky crap. Metal + horror = fail.

How about Queens of the Stone Age?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

Any band whose party line is 'At our shows, we want to see half boys and half girls in a utopian world, dancing and drinking' derserves to be lumped in with estate agents/CEOs/TV presenters/anyone else who's inclined to use mission statements :p

Now, Electric Six, there's a band without a mission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Gimmicky one album wonders who nobody gives a **** about

*I liked them

Teenage Fanclub

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

- I don't know who they are.

The Beatles

Blisterman wrote: »

The Beatles

Ugh, they got better as they went on but I simply can't listen to them apart from a few songs. John was the genius and it was apparent in his solo work.

Beck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Kold wrote: »

Beck.

Pretentious fool who spent too much time ****ing about with different genres and changing his sound.

Wilco

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Blisterman wrote: »

The Beatles

whoa whoa whoa

not a good enough answer.

Teenage Fanclub still stands, IMHO.

Now playing: Queen - Seaside Rendezvous
    via FoxyTunes

whoa whoa whoa

not a good enough answer.

Teenage Fanclub still stands, IMHO.

Now playing: Queen - Seaside Rendezvous
    via FoxyTunes

Actually yeah, I think that answers should be at least a paragraph long so as to not make this thread Cuckoo Nest fodder. That way, it isn't really a postcount exercise but I want to draw out people who genuinely dislike the bands so they can tell us why.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,779 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Kaiser chiefs..I love to hate them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

nope - we need somebody to come up with a well thought out post as to why they don't rate them. Not knowing their output doesn't cut it.

Teenage Fanclub are in the firing line. Your best shot, ladies and gentlemen...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Kold wrote: »
    My suggestion, because they'd be in my top 5 and I've never heard a bad word said about them is Mogwai.

Until now!
    Sorry, i find them so over-rated. And i generally like Scottish artists, with JAMC and Idlewild easily in my top 5.

I'll actually go with Idlewild as least dislikable, with Red House Painters coming in at close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

+1 to Idlewild

-1 AC/DC

• Registered Users Posts: 10,599 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Xavi6 wrote: »
    -1 AC/DC

Booo! You're just saying that cos yer stuck in Oz and Black Ice has been suffering over exposure for weeks now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'm about to win the thread :p

Thin Lizzy. The least dislikeable band ever.

It's not the band itself, it's some of their fans. They're just a big load of North Dubliners who pretend to know everything about anything!

Frank Sinatra.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Sinatra. Dull, inflated ego only over shadowed by the ruthless guinneas that continually foisted his blandness onto an otherwise occupied public.

North Strand Klesmer Band.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-iseqCOATk

"... Roman gypsie melodies." I think she said enough.

Living Colour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Nailz wrote: »
    "... Roman gypsie melodies." I think she said enough.

Living Colour.

What's her ignorance of klesmer music got to do with NSKB?!
    Klesmer is yiddish. Oil and water don't mix. Occasionally it will throw itself into bed with a gyppo for festival purposes but other than that there is a number of differences between the genres. The host is clueless and you've gone along with her.
    NSKB still stand I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

I do like Mogwai but I do think their music is very 'safe'. Theres nothing really to detract from it because it ticks all the boxes. Often times I think their songs could be a bit better with a bit more exploration rather than just sticking to tried and tested means. Ah well, its still good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 haveacigar

Pink Floyd. A band of musical genius. Whilst they are very influential they tastefully remained anonymous resulting in not annoying people (unlike so many other "music" sellouts who are in your face in the media contstantly)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Coldplay, or more specifically Chris Martin, just for the pure and simple fact that hes a twat and their new single crap as well:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 haveacigar

I think its a thread for least dislikable band rather than most dislikable band:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭RoosterIllusion

godspeed you! black emperor, Yanqui U.X.O. is still the most balanced and well rounded Album I have heard by any band.
    I'm about to win the thread :p

Thin Lizzy. The least dislikeable band ever.

I really can't stand Thin Lizzy. I think they are very, very overrated, except for The Emerald (is that even their song? I don't know).

Advertisement