Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro Wrestling Ulster

• 31-10-2008 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭

Well with all the furore over NLW/AWR and the Irish wrestling scene in general on here at the moment, I thought it might be interesting to take a look at the country's forgotten promotion; Pro Wrestling Ulster.

Many of you may have at least heard of Ulster Championship Wrestling, Belfast's long-running wrestling promotion fronted by Dunkan Disorderly, Stevy Shaker and others. UCW developed a terrible reputation down here for supposedly being a back-yard promotion using poorly trained wrestlers, UCW's cards would invariably host a variety of injuries as many of its clueless stars attempted to wrestle a hardcore style that they were evidently not cut out for, meaning the promotion could only put on a handful of shows per year. Drawing anywhere between 400-1000 fans at their height, UCW would end up only attracting a core audience of about 200 hardcore fans at its later shows.

In 2006, UCW began to take a different direction. Beginining to book more accomplised/reputable stars like Joey Cabray, Antony Idol and Alex Breslin on its shows, the group slowly began to move away from hardcore and began wrestling safer style. Meanwhile, its top stars The Machine, Tron, RODD, Bobby Lee Harm and (its most talented/proficent wrestler, having trained with NWA Hammerlock since he was 14) Dunkan Disorderly began to get booked on the newly formed No Limit Wrestling cards.

Despite this progress, due to a mitigation of political issues, UCW would fall apart by 2007. Some would continue to get booked bu NLW, some would disapear from the wrestling world altogether. And then some would stay behind and form Pro Wrestling Ulster.

Although I've read mixed reviews about the group (the good from PWU fans, the bad from jaded-ex UCW fans), it has gained credibility in my eyes by using respected Southern stars such as Sean South, Danny Butler, Kev Rocks and others on its cards.

I'd be pretty keen to hear the opinions of fans more educated on the group than me, and would also like to check the group out myself someday, just so I can make my own mind up.

Anyway, they've got two cards coming up in November, Locked and Loaded and Redemption: http://www.prowrestlingulster.co.uk/events.html

Here are the results of their most recent show "Aggression".
    Aggression Results

Non-Title Tag Team MatchRSA def. Kev Rocks + Danny Butler
    Terry Thompson declared himself as special referee for this contest. But it was Terry who cost the Tag Champs the victory when he inadvertently hit the Glam Rock Superstar with RSA's South African Flag.

Limited Editon Challenge - PWU Championship
    'Limited Edition' JDP def. The Arabian BanditLimited Edition JDP dominated this contest but a mistake on the champ's part seen the mysterious Arabian Bandit go for his 'Super Juice'. Just as he was about to reach for it Crafty Veteran The Machine appeared from backstage and stole it from him. JDP then took advantage of the distraction to hit the JDT for the 3 count.

'Supernatural' Johnny Coole def. Ian 'Dynamo' Kelly w/ Father SoulIn a match of North vs South. Former PWU Champion Johnny Coole pulled out all the stops to pick up the victory with his Acid Reflux.

#1 contendership for PWU Title
    Tron def. Andi Phoenix w/ Father SoulAll Irish Champion Andi Phoenix looked to set his sights on more gold as he competed with the 7ft monster for a shot at JDP. Tron had other plans. Even though Andi got the big man down to his size it was Tron who picked up the victory.

Machine def. Amy VoltageAmy looked to pick up the win as The Arabian Bandit distracted Machine as he reclaimed his 'Super Juice'. But it was Machine's in-ring experience that earned him a victory by using the ropes as an assist to catch a 3 count. Things weren't over for Machine as The Arabian Bandit re-appeared dressed as Hulk Hogan. The Bandit then 'Hulked up' delivered a 'Big Boot' and finally the 'Immortal leg drop' to the fallen Machine. He then encouraged not only Amy Voltage, and The Tag Champs to hit their own leg drops, but PWU referee Tommy McNulty to deliver one as well.

T.M.A def. Sanchez + C.K, Stash + Tucker, Damien Corvin + JC Williams
    Stash + Tucker would get revenge over Corvin and Williams as Tucker kept Williams down with a crucifix pin. But T.M.A put in a solid performance to knock out Johnny Stash. But In the conclusion to this match El Torro Sanchez attacked his partner Chad Kingston giving the win to T.M.A. It wasn't over for Kingston as Sanchez removed his mask and powerbombed him through a table. Sanchez then declared himself aligned with T.M.A.

Anyway hopefully this proved to be an interesting little read for anyone who had never heard of wrestling up North before, or for those who just forgot about it (as I had until Stevy Shaker was brought up in the Irish promotions sticky topic).

Thoughts/comments (positive and negative) are encouraged. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

Cheers for that.
    What are the legal requirements for putting on a wrestling show here ?

Edit: Sorry thats a very vague question. But what happens if there's a match between untrained or poorly trained wrestlers and then someone breaks a neck or is paralysed or something happens like what happened to Dan "Spider" Quirk ? Is there some sort of lisence needed to put on a show ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭the flananator

Cheers for that.
    What are the legal requirements for putting on a wrestling show here ?

Edit: Sorry thats a very vague question. But what happens if there's a match between untrained or poorly trained wrestlers and then someone breaks a neck or is paralysed or something happens like what happened to Dan "Spider" Quirk ? Is there some sort of lisence needed to put on a show ?

Unlike the US theres no governing body here a la the State Athletic Commision, so as long as your venue has public liability insurance, you can pretty much do what you want. I'm sure an IWW/NWA-I/CPW/NLW rep can correct me there/give a more detailed answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Rawm2008

hey that was a decent write up, i was one of the JADED UCW fans that you wrote about lol, but i gave PWU a go and i must say there Quality of wrestling is very good its clear its a bunch of young hungry guys, a few EX UCW roster like machine and JDP etc are part of the company but not really the main focus the focus seem to be on the younger guys and guys from down south,

They but on a good mix of wrestling as they seem to garnered towards family audiences but the wrestling is top notch so a more influenced fan like myself can enjoy the shows,

Im looking forward to the show there doing in the balmoral hotel as it seems there now confident enough with there product to try and push it in other areas of belfast so all good for them,

www.youtube.com/jonnystash his youtube account seems to have footage and highlight videos on it, hell the highlight videos them self are actually very good which shocked me and was a great surprise. Id say people need to give them more a chance, pity the more ex UCW fans don't because it is great wrestling just isnt stupid hardcore **** anymore,

As for Shaker i was reading somewhere else on here, hes brining back UCW he seems with a show in the beach club nite club in the odessy a week after WWE has been there it should be intersting to see that revial.

Rawm2008 wrote: »
    hey that was a decent write up, i was one of the JADED UCW fans that you wrote about lol, but i gave PWU a go and i must say there Quality of wrestling is very good its clear its a bunch of young hungry guys, a few EX UCW roster like machine and JDP etc are part of the company but not really the main focus the focus seem to be on the younger guys and guys from down south,

They but on a good mix of wrestling as they seem to garnered towards family audiences but the wrestling is top notch so a more influenced fan like myself can enjoy the shows,

Im looking forward to the show there doing in the balmoral hotel as it seems there now confident enough with there product to try and push it in other areas of belfast so all good for them,

www.youtube.com/jonnystash his youtube account seems to have footage and highlight videos on it, hell the highlight videos them self are actually very good which shocked me and was a great surprise. Id say people need to give them more a chance, pity the more ex UCW fans don't because it is great wrestling just isnt stupid hardcore **** anymore,

As for Shaker i was reading somewhere else on here, hes brining back UCW he seems with a show in the beach club nite club in the odessy a week after WWE has been there it should be intersting to see that revial.

Thanks for your response.

Watched the 'Collision' highlight video on your link, looked decent.

I also heard that he was brining back UCW. When is the show?

its on the friday the 21st of november, i only heard of it through bebo cause bascailly any guy whos being booked for the show or is asscotied with it in any way have there bebo skins all changed to promote it, i havnt seen one poster or anything up round belfast or the odessy so if shaker is just plannen to hit the WWE show i can see the UCW revival going all tits up in a hurry,

• Advertisement

its on the friday the 21st of november, i only heard of it through bebo cause bascailly any guy whos being booked for the show or is asscotied with it in any way have there bebo skins all changed to promote it, i havnt seen one poster or anything up round belfast or the odessy so if shaker is just plannen to hit the WWE show i can see the UCW revival going all tits up in a hurry,

Very interesting. Who's been booked for it?

From the look of things most of the EX UCW guys who are stil around the scene,
    Machine
    Duncan
    Tron
    JDP
    Rodd
    Vice
    SSS
    Johnny Stash
    Tucker

But the bebo "Press realses" has guys like the murder squad and Mexican bandits listed in it aswell so prob some PWU guys on there, hopefully some of the southern guys are on it like cabray or maxer,

From the look of things most of the EX UCW guys who are stil around the scene,
    Machine
    Duncan
    Tron
    JDP
    Rodd
    Vice
    SSS
    Johnny Stash
    Tucker

But the bebo "Press realses" has guys like the murder squad and Mexican bandits listed in it aswell so prob some PWU guys on there, hopefully some of the southern guys are on it like cabray or maxer,

Hmmm strange not sure what distinguishes this from PWU then. The style of wrestling perhaps?

Its in a nite club, so its an over 18 shows strictly, plenty of people have been beboing the ucw page and shakers personal one and hes basically been sayen saorry over 18 only, So probly either be full on indy spot fest show with maybe one extreme hardcore match ala old ucw cuase i highly doubt the kiddie style most guys are doing now is gonna fly with a nite club full of drunk 18+

Its in a nite club, so its an over 18 shows strictly, plenty of people have been beboing the ucw page and shakers personal one and hes basically been sayen saorry over 18 only, So probly either be full on indy spot fest show with maybe one extreme hardcore match ala old ucw cuase i highly doubt the kiddie style most guys are doing now is gonna fly with a nite club full of drunk 18+

Indeed. On the surface turning away the lucrative kiddy market seems like a foolish idea, but perhaps this could make for an interesting alternative...

Not to be confused with these messers anyway! http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4395819085

• Advertisement

dont start me on these asshole they show up to PWU shows and sit in the crowd like they think they are something lol i went to one show and i wouldnt never ever force myself to watch them ever again,

dont start me on these asshole they show up to PWU shows and sit in the crowd like they think they are something lol i went to one show and i wouldnt never ever force myself to watch them ever again,

Read a pretty damning review of them by Klown alright...have they been trained? Actually, silly question:rolleyes:

LOL you just gotta look at any of there footage and see there "wrestlers" to clearly see theyre backyard scum, what sicken is they get bout 60+ to there shows and think cuase there doin the numbers as some of the small english feds etc that makes them legit uase they have a payen product, the fact that there all goth's or emos and all there friends come to see them play wrestlers is sooo funny, and ive heard them at pwu shows sayen they can do what there wreslters could do if theyd been doing as long as them lol not that they need to be trained or anything just they need time lol

Advertisement