Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to BF

Options
  • 31-10-2008 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Long time no see, just a quick post to see the lay of the land and the way forward. Long time ago I used to be a avid Battlefield player, started off in Nam to revert back to BF 1942 and then of course to BF2. Soon after release of BF2 I had to quit the life of a gamer(new job etc) and sold my old thrusty PC and games! woe is me!!!

Anyway just done up my house and made sure to include a nice big office(haha thats what the misses thinks but its my gaming room) which is fitted out with massive computer desk, plenty of power sockets and nicely shapped for surround sound! now I come back to the BF forum and it looks like it is dead!! what has happened to BF since 6 months after the release of BF2 I have not looked here so can someone fill me in????

Is BF still alive? are there any irish servers? Is TIG and NRG still alive? Is it worth my time pulling out my old computer kit and building my monster PC? or should I just cut to the chase and buy a console?

Is there a "new" BF game out there for PC's? which is the best option now for online gaming and killing a few people????

Thanks all!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Big Nelly wrote: »
    Hi Guys

Long time no see, just a quick post to see the lay of the land and the way forward. Long time ago I used to be a avid Battlefield player, started off in Nam to revert back to BF 1942 and then of course to BF2. Soon after release of BF2 I had to quit the life of a gamer(new job etc) and sold my old thrusty PC and games! woe is me!!!

Anyway just done up my house and made sure to include a nice big office(haha thats what the misses thinks but its my gaming room) which is fitted out with massive computer desk, plenty of power sockets and nicely shapped for surround sound! now I come back to the BF forum and it looks like it is dead!! what has happened to BF since 6 months after the release of BF2 I have not looked here so can someone fill me in????

Is BF still alive? are there any irish servers? Is TIG and NRG still alive? Is it worth my time pulling out my old computer kit and building my monster PC? or should I just cut to the chase and buy a console?

Is there a "new" BF game out there for PC's? which is the best option now for online gaming and killing a few people????

Thanks all!!!

We're left awaiting BF3 and BF:Heroes (this one is free). There's also another BF2 patch planned for sometime this winter. Otherwise there's not much.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

BF is still alive but I guess it doesn't generate the buzz it used to (at least on this server). You'll have no problem finding a game but I don't know about any irish clans that play it regularly.

BF2142 came out and a lot of people took that up.

Personally I play 2/3 times weekly but the PoE mod and sometimes the PR mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

not much info lads!!!!! so is tig and nrg dead???

No idea. TiG still have an active forum...

http://www.theirishguard.com/smf/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

2142 is alright, still not nearly as much fun as BF2. I've been playing BF2 again recently, just arsing around on public servers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

BF died after about the 7th ? patch.

Online now is karkland 24/7, the run and gun game is whats online now rather than the the massive battles that 42 started off.

BF has been owned by CS :(

Shame was a good series with a good basic idea of massive team play rather than run die respawn kill run die etc:

Would love to play 42/Bfv/Bf2 with the Tig/ big nellys clan/ other clans that played in the inf only thingie few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

NRG are dead, last I heard. TiG have gone to the dark side. Yes, some of them are now WoW fúcklets :p Some have gotten sick of it, so there's hope for us yet :D

BF:Heroes is a fun game. Currently playing the Beta. It's nice. Nothing like 1942 or Nam, but meh, what can you do.

There's a mod for Crysis in the works. It is based on Mechwarrior. The boys are doing a top notch job, with all details included (such as the abilty to blow off the enemys' arm, but the rest of the body won't blow up). Check out http://www.mechlivinglegends.net for more info. Winter 2008 is the time set for the release, and by the looks of it, it'll be a FÚCKING HUGH hit!

BF3... dunno. Wouldn't hold my breath, but where can they go? Not more into the future, but how about bows and arrows? I fear for the future of the Battlefield series.

If you want fun, go for the BF2 conversions. PoE and also PR. I'd go for PoE, as the armour is excellent, and the choppers are a bitch to fly. May pop back in someday, but RA3 has gotten hold of me, so I'll be playing that and BF:Heroes for the next while. If I wanted inf, BF Heroes does the job. PoE may fill the void that exists for the lack of decent armour in BF:H, though.

=-=

Would there be many Irish people up for playing PoE? And if so, what server do you frequent? May install BF2. Unsure if this card (GeForceFX 5900XT) does shader 3, though. Ye all know what happened last time I played BF2 on this rig many moons ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

the_syco wrote: »

There's a mod for Crysis in the works.

A mod wont create DICEs original game/idea.
    BF3... dunno.

More real world conflict i would assume, if they sort out the 64 man thing and make it worj with acrtual proper netcode and kill any INF only servers i would be a happy bunny.

Would there be many Irish people up for playing PoE? And if so, what server do you frequent? May install BF2. Unsure if this card (GeForceFX 5900XT) does shader 3, though. Ye all know what happened last time I played BF2 on this rig many moons ago :D

I play it all the time. There's usually only 2 servers with 20+ people in them from 8pm onwards but 1 is enough :)

GeForceFX 5900XT ? I was going to say 'no' but if it does the shader 3 then just maybe... don't waste too much time on it though...

dreamers75 wrote: »
    A mod wont create DICEs original game/idea.
    Not really sure what that was?
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    More real world conflict i would assume, if they sort out the 64 man thing and make it worj with acrtual proper netcode and kill any INF only servers i would be a happy bunny.
    Can't see them doing the netcode for the 64 man thing... but it'd be nice if they did. Something like the 64 man Desert Combat maps. Same company... but fail?
    Ponster wrote: »
    GeForceFX 5900XT ? I was going to say 'no' but if it does the shader 3 then just maybe... don't waste too much time on it though...
    Once the sea ain't green, the tanks not invisible, I'll be happy :cool:

• Advertisement

What sort of spec on a rig would be required these days to play BF2/new games on with all the bells and whisles???? or a mid range one to just play normal decent specs!!

the rig yu'd need to get the best out of BF2 is far from what youd needto get the best out of the latest games.

I can play BF2 on all medium settings while i can play Fallout 3 in LOW at about 10 frames per second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

I've reinstalled BF2 and had a few rounds the odd night. Decent servers are hard to find, though I do only play INF Only as I think thats where the best games can be had.

Played a few games of BFV a few weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it. Also considering re-installing BF42 and organising a few games, not sure if theres the interest any more.

Nothing stopping us getting a few willing souls together and organising a BF evening. Start with some BF42, then some Nam and finish with some BF2. I'm sure the TiG lads would be willing and able to put up some servers etc.

I've reinstalled BF2 and had a few rounds the odd night. Decent servers are hard to find, though I do only play INF Only as I think thats where the best games can be had.

Played a few games of BFV a few weeks ago, thoroughly enjoyed it. Also considering re-installing BF42 and organising a few games, not sure if theres the interest any more.

Nothing stopping us getting a few willing souls together and organising a BF evening. Start with some BF42, then some Nam and finish with some BF2. I'm sure the TiG lads would be willing and able to put up some servers etc.

Yeah that would be good crack but need to arrange an old PC to fire up for a few games! off to adverts to see if I can pick up a PC and start puttng together!!!:D

Would this graphics card work?
    256MB NVIDIA 5200 PCI (Not PCIe)

Nothing cept WoW Raids :( :rolleyes:
    Yeah that would be good crack but need to arrange an old PC to fire up for a few games! off to adverts to see if I can pick up a PC and start puttng together!!!:D
    Some cheap medium range systems going cheaply in Adverts.

=-=

Don't think 5200 is Shader 3.

Doubt it. I had one of them and it barely played BFV back in the day. I cant see it having a hope of playing BF2. you'd need a 6800 or something later to get decent frame rates.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,263 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

No. Just no. Burn that damn thing.

Hahaha, used to have a radeon 9800 I think it was in my old PC!!! what would the equivalent be now to run games i.e. the new games at medium setting! dont want to buy complete top of the range!! still paying for renovations!!

Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 256MB? or Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 256MB – HDMI

Hahaha, used to have a radeon 9800 I think it was in my old PC!!! what would the equivalent be now to run games i.e. the new games at medium setting! dont want to buy complete top of the range!! still paying for renovations!!

Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 256MB? or Sapphire Radeon X1600PRO 256MB – HDMI

Those are still years old and many generations behind. Might be better if you tell us your intended budget.

• Advertisement

Some good deals around on 8800GT's. They seem great value for money.

If my memory is correct, an X300 was the minimum to run BF2.

Two machines on adverts that, if not split up yet, may be good rigs.

€800 http://adverts.ie/74846

€510 http://adverts.ie/76552 based in Galway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

BF2 is ancient now. Was a great game back in the day but when I went back to it a little while ago, I couldn't believe how badly it's aged even in a short few months - some levels are worse then others, like Karkand - ugly, ugly map, so bland and the textures are awful. Wake Island is still great. One thing I will say is that while I prefer other games now, none give remotely the same sort of brilliant team experience BF2 did. I'm very eagerly waiting BF3.

As for the requirements, BF2 will run on practically anything now. A 50 euro card like the Ati 4550 would max it at high resolution no bother. The 5900XT someone mentioned would run it fine. The Fx5200 also runs it fine at lowest settings, but the PCI version won't as it's totally crippled by the limitations of the bus. The X800GTO and X1600Pro would max it as well at normal resolutions. I got a 7800GTX for 20 euro off boards that'll run it at 1920x1200 maxed out settings no problem.

The equivilent to the 9800Pro as a sort of high performance budget part would be something like the Ati 4670 @ 80 euro or the Nvidia 9600GSO @ 90 euro. Both will run most new games at mid-high at 1680x1050 downwards and would rip older games like BF2 apart.

At the moment I'm using an ultra silent machine with a passive X1300Pro so Call of Duty 4 and such have to wait until I get a better card - might actually lash in BF2 again.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=355512&utm_source=komplett&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=stockclearml06

What about that? budget at moment would prob be about 500-600 just for PC, can source monitor etc myself

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=355512&utm_source=komplett&utm_medium=email&utm_content=text&utm_campaign=stockclearml06

What about that? budget at moment would prob be about 500-600 just for PC, can source monitor etc myself

Should be enough for all the current range of BFs, including Heroes (which is fairly undemanding). It won't have much long term usage.

Can your current board handle PCI-E video cards?

All of the older PC games, COD4 included, is full of hackers. There are lots of them in BF2. The best games where to be had on decent clan servers where you knew the admins etc so knew that peeps would be kicked when it was clear they where hacking.

Its a pity boards.ie didnt do a few public servers.

All of the older PC games, COD4 included, is full of hackers. There are lots of them in BF2. The best games where to be had on decent clan servers where you knew the admins etc so knew that peeps would be kicked when it was clear they where hacking.

Its a pity boards.ie didnt do a few public servers.

Tis a sad day! is it just worth my while investing in a console:mad: instead of a PC? gone are the mad days of Irish Kami!!! please post if you remember that nut job! at lest he didnt cheat but was nuts!!!

Tis a sad day! is it just worth my while investing in a console:mad: instead of a PC? gone are the mad days of Irish Kami!!! please post if you remember that nut job! at lest he didnt cheat but was nuts!!!

The planned BF2 1.50 patch coming this winter, is said to have changes explicitly targeting cheats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Jesus Irsh Kami, how could one forget him. I met once down in Valdez cafe at a lan night and i think it was an hour before i realised it was him..he was soo quiet.
    Nelly i got myself an xbox 360 and for a while it catered for my needs, but you soon start comparing it to the pc and wished that you invested back in a pc.

I still have my old pc and in it is a nvidia 6800. I bought Brothers in arms Hells Highway and it runs grand on medium to high settings, and all bf series are excellent. But i don't think it could handle cod4 etc.

And yeah NRG died a long time ago. Honestly were the best gaming days i ever had was BFV and BF2 with NRG and TIG. It is pretty sad its all gone now i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Jesus Irsh Kami, how could one forget him.

Who?

Advertisement