Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticket Refund Declined - Legal?

Options
  • 31-10-2008 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I bought some tickets for a gig and I now can't go so I asked for a refund.
    I was told no.
    On the back it says
    *We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase – statutory rights not affected*

Is this legal?
    Anything I can do?
    Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

mathie wrote: »
    Hi

Anything I can do?

M

Eh sell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

their T&Cs have them covered.

Try selling them at www.toutless.com

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Perfectly legal, some/most T&Cs allow them change the venue & date too.

If this was not the case touts would buy all the tickets up and then just get refunds if they are stuck with them 1 day before.

Not to say I agree completely, especially if you are a regular customer they should have some concession. If you go to the ticketmaster kiosk in town they might hold onto them for you and sell them for you if somebody comes along.

Once soundcellar took my tickets back on that condition too, though the gig was well sold out. I went off shopping, back 2 hrs later and got the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Is this legal?
    unfortunately so
    Anything I can do?

i refer you to whiskeyman's post

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

rubadub wrote: »
    Not to say I agree completely, especially if you are a regular customer they should have some concession.

the problem there is that the most regular customers would be touts

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Its the same for tickets as for any other goods. You cant get a refund if you simply change your mind. If say, they had to change a date or time, then you would be allowed a refund. But in this case theres nothing wrong with the tickets, so you either take a hit on the money or try to sell them on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Tickets are no different to any other purchase. For your personal reasons you want a refund. There is nothing actually wrong with the tickets so their job is done, and they have no obligation to give you a refund.

This is classed as you changing your mind and you have no grounds whatsoever for a refund.

Can you not sell/pass them on to a friend?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Hi
    I bought some tickets for a gig and I now can't go so I asked for a refund.
    I was told no.
    On the back it says
    *We regret that tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded after purchase – statutory rights not affected*

Is this legal?
    Anything I can do?
    Thanks
    M

Of course it's not legal * - after all why should you be committed to a contract after you change your mind ? It's a well known fact that both Tesco and Dunnes take back spuds if you subsequently decide to cook pasta instead.

I suggest you complain to Joe Duffy or the National Consumer Agency.

* - this may or may not be correct advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

parsi wrote: »
    Of course it's not legal * - after all why should you be committed to a contract after you change your mind ? It's a well known fact that both Tesco and Dunnes take back spuds if you subsequently decide to cook pasta instead.

I suggest you complain to Joe Duffy or the National Consumer Agency.

* - this may or may not be correct advice.
    Completely incorrect I'm afraid. Tesco and Dunnes take back goods as a gesture of goodwill on their behalf. No law to say they must. Why should Dunnes, or in this case, Ticketmaster, have to potentially foot a loss just because someone is incapable of making up their mind before entering into a contract? By entering a contract, it signifies that you want what is offered and agree to the terms associated with it, simple as. If you later change your mind, it isn't Dunnes/TM fault!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Kensington wrote: »
    Completely incorrect I'm afraid. Tesco and Dunnes take back goods as a gesture of goodwill on their behalf. No law to say they must. Why should Dunnes, or in this case, Ticketmaster, have to potentially foot a loss just because someone is incapable of making up their mind before entering into a contract? By entering a contract, it signifies that you want what is offered and agree to the terms associated with it, simple as. If you later change your mind, it isn't Dunnes/TM fault!!!

Turn on the sarcasmometer

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Whooosh !

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Silly person

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    the problem there is that the most regular customers would be touts
    Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of them spotting it, i.e. if you are buying the max ticket amount each time and return 90% of them, then something is up. Or maybe somehow have some membership scheme with IDs
    Completely incorrect I'm afraid. Tesco and Dunnes take back goods as a gesture of goodwill on their behalf. No law to say they must.
    Yes he was being sarcastic, BUT
    It's a well known fact that both Tesco and Dunnes take back spuds if you subsequently decide to cook pasta instead.
    This apparent sarcasm is actually probably true, often big companies will take them back as goodwill. I have gotten refunds form tescos no problem, and there was no need for them to do it. Ticketmaster have no such goodwill though! the vast majority of people despise them, most of the time you have no choice but to use them if you want to go to a concert.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

just sell them on !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Ill have to agree with everybody else. Like any other product they dont have to give you a refund for changing your mind. As a matter of interest what are the tickets for? If they are for a concert in the Ambassador on the 13th of November ill take them off your hands:)

Advertisement